Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

License Plate covers? - new DC law $&@#*!*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
License Plate covers? - new DC law $&@#*!*

Does anyone have a license plate cover? If so, don't get caught in the District of Columbia (DC). A new vehicle reg just went into effect that prohibits ANY type of cover, regardless of whether it's clear and doesn't obstruct any markings or decals. The fine is a stiff $500. I believe the origin of the law is to prevent people from countering those damnable red-light cameras.

From DC DMV:
"The new law clarifies the prohibition on the use of glass, plastic, or any other type of material or substance (i.e. spray) to cover a license plate. A person operating a vehicle in violation of this section shall be subject to a $500 fine."

Old 04-19-2005, 12:20 PM
No idea whats going on
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

stupid revenue generators

Old 04-19-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Noremac
Does anyone have a license plate cover? If so, don't get caught in the District of Columbia (DC). A new vehicle reg just went into effect that prohibits ANY type of cover, regardless of whether it's clear and doesn't obstruct any markings or decals. The fine is a stiff $500. I believe the origin of the law is to prevent people from countering those damnable red-light cameras.

From DC DMV:
"The new law clarifies the prohibition on the use of glass, plastic, or any other type of material or substance (i.e. spray) to cover a license plate. A person operating a vehicle in violation of this section shall be subject to a $500 fine."
Just goes to show you how stupid DC really is. Well, I guess they are hoping to find the idiot with the cover so they can bank an easy $500 for the city. Anyone can get ahold of the Photoblocker, a spray on film that doesn't need a protective cover to fool the camera

Old 04-19-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by wickedG35
Anyone can get ahold of the Photoblocker, a spray on film that doesn't need a protective cover to fool the camera
Spray is specifically called out in the new law. I think that's what they were most concerned with. The red-light camera gig has turned out to be a big income producer for the city, and somehow they managed to place the cameras in locations frequented by out-of-staters (Maryland, Virginia). I wonder why?

Old 04-19-2005, 07:45 PM
Ryo
Yup, placing cameras near highway exits...

Also the speed cameras that catch you when you go 5 over the limit.
They place the speed cameras right by the tunnel exits...

Old 04-19-2005, 08:13 PM
WRAH
How can they prove your using a spray?

Old 04-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Why do you need a cover over your license plate?

Old 04-19-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by skeleton_cru
a lot of people use them to try and avoid all the cameras they use in this area

Old 04-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by QBall
a lot of people use them to try and avoid all the cameras they use in this area
Aha! So now you may have to observe traffic laws? Blasted!

Old 04-20-2005, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by skeleton_cru
I actually like having one on the front plate to protect it from road junk, etc, and having a nice black frame around the plate makes for a clean look on my black sedan. I end up replacing the clear plastic every couple of years, but the plate stays clean underneath. Otherwise, the soft paint on the plate and stickers gets chewed up.

Also, I actually live in Virginia, but commute to DC. My clear plastic cover, which does not obstruct any of the plate, nor subterfuge traffic cameras in any way, is fully compliant with Virginia code.

Old 04-20-2005, 11:57 AM
WRAH
What happened to "by the people, for the people"

What really gets me (like here in Ohio) is that these laws are being made and the people don't want them.

A scientific survey concluded that Ohioans didn't support front plates 84% to 14% (2% didn't care) +/- 1%MR

Yet we have front plates b/c of law enforcement likes them. Even though it would save Ohio, 4 million a year by not printing them!

How is this a system of self government? Sounds more and more like a police state to me!

Old 04-20-2005, 01:40 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
We have that cover law here too, it's just never enforced. We also have a front plate law, that one is enforced (the bastards).

Does anyone know if the spray thing actually works?

Old 04-20-2005, 01:46 PM
No idea whats going on
Originally Posted by GZire
We have that cover law here too, it's just never enforced. We also have a front plate law, that one is enforced (the bastards).

Does anyone know if the spray thing actually works?
Yes the spray works. I use it in conjunction with a cover that blocks out part of the plate when viewed from an angle (which is how all redlight and speed cameras are setup) and they have saved me many a time from speed and redlight cameras.

Just curious but does anyone know if this law will affect out of state people who drive into DC?

Old 04-20-2005, 03:53 PM
WRAH
Originally Posted by 300zx2G35
Yes the spray works. I use it in conjunction with a cover that blocks out part of the plate when viewed from an angle (which is how all redlight and speed cameras are setup) and they have saved me many a time from speed and redlight cameras.

Just curious but does anyone know if this law will affect out of state people who drive into DC?
Yes. Most laws work that way. Under some stupid clause that states. It is the person responsibility to know local laws upon entering that area.....blah blah blah

Old 04-22-2005, 03:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are speed cameras in DC now? Damn, I better watch my speed next time I'm in DC...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: License Plate covers? - new DC law $&@#*!*