Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Painting the Silvia parts Grill???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting the Silvia parts Grill???

Hey,
i had the fitment problem with my silvia parts grill but i solved that i jus redrilled the holes. Now the problem im facing is HOW TO PAINT IT.

2 of my local shops are asking 300$ to paint it
also another shop that asked 150$ but im not 100% that their work is good.

i live in the woodbridge area if any1 can help please do
also how many poeople have painted it them selfs??

THIS IS GARBAGE IM PAYING MORE TO PAINT THE DAMN PART THEN WHAT THE PART IS WORTH!!!!

thanks again for the help

Old 05-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could just run it without painting it, but that would probably take away from the look you were striving for. Even a killer street rod is still a jalopy until it's wearing some nice paint. Don't under-estimate the value of painting. Paint usually will cost more than the part you're painting.

With that said, I would think the $150-$200 range was more appropriate, but that really depends on the amount of prep work needed on the part, your location and the going rates and the prestige associated with the shop. Of course, I would add the cost of installing the part on top of that price.

Just because you find a less-known/smaller shop that will do it for cheaper doesn't mean that you'll absolutely end up with an inferior paint job. Word of mouth is good to go by, but sometimes you might have to make a leap of faith.

I had a huge chip (size of a fist) out of the front of the hood on my '55 Chevy Bel Air (metallic green paint that was about 15 years old). Couldn't get most places to even look at it since it wasn't a new car in on an insurance claim, so I had to gamble and go with one of the shops that would work on it. It cost me $250 to fill and paint the chip, which included blending/feathering the paint into the rest and then clear-coating the entire hood. VERY cheap, IMO, but the results were perfect!

The $300 doesn't sound that out of line, if it includes installation as well. But I bet you can get it done for closer to $200 if you do some looking around.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 05-19-2005, 10:20 PM
ITS DONE!!!!

I DIDNT WANT TO PAY A GARAGE 300$+ TO PAINT MY GRILL
SOOO I DID THE NEXT BEST THING. I PAINTED IT MY SELF!! and i did a good job (I think) heres a pic

http://www.geocities.com/bhavash06jo...G/DSC00268.JPG

ENJOY!

Old 05-19-2005, 10:30 PM
watcha paint it with?