Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Dot Matrix question for the tinted rides

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dot Matrix question for the tinted rides

Well I went down to my local tint shop today to of course put some 32% diamond charcoal tint on my DG. I was speaking to someone who has done our coupes several times and I was inquiring about the dot matrix on the back and side windows around the edges of the windows. He told me that there will have to be a white outer ring going around the whole back and side windows because of the darn dot matrix. He said theres no way around it. Is this true with other coupes with tint? He said the tint wont stick to the dots leaving that white un-tinted line going around. Also at the end said "personally I would not get them tinted" until I have seen others with tint. So I left to do more research cause I cant stand the cheap look of that line. What are your experiences? thanks
Im more concerned with the edges of the sides and rear not the top of the rear.

Old 07-01-2005, 10:58 AM
I've heard of a some tint places having some special glue which allows the tint to stick to the dot matrix.

I like the look of tinted windows so that dot matrix doesn't bother me. On the rear windshield they used a vinyl strip to cover the top part of the dot matrix.

Old 07-09-2005, 11:23 AM
viv
Tint border

I just had my 05 coupe tinted. I found out about this after the tint was installed.

They put black tape on the outside back window to clean up the look. The rear side windows were left with the border I would rather not have. The tint shop told me there was nothing they could do.

Now I am looking at every parked car's tint to see if this is a common problem. I would prefer a cleaner look.

Old 07-09-2005, 12:08 PM
Alumni****
at the tinting place i had it done it (Omega Tint, for the Bay Area people), Vince used a special glue that he's been working on to get the tint to stick to the dot matrix.. it turned out great.. anyhow, if you're in the bay area, i definitely recommend Vince.. he's done so many of our G35s, it's not even funny..

Old 07-10-2005, 12:53 AM
keep looking a top notch shop will know how to do it without leaving a ring around the edge...

Old 07-11-2005, 08:00 PM
I went to a shop in Orange County that does the tinting for Fletcher Jones MBZ in Newport Beach and they used some Vinyl sheet thing for the dot matrix part that makes it flush so it looks clean on the outside and inside. They said that's a pretty common way to get around that dot matrix problem.

Old 07-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Banned
vinyl strip.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got mine done last week and they were able to get it to stick to the matrix, but when they did my ex's RSX around a year ago they didn't have much luck.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
no vinyl.. film w/ 5% tint

Last edited by EricIsKlumzyee; 09-17-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:18 AM
Damnn, the tint shop I went in Torrance fuc*ed up on my dot matrix. They were supposed to cut it but stupid worker there didn't speak any english and put it all over my rear glass. Now it's half peeling. Matter of fact, they fuc*ed up on all of my windows by having lots of bubbles and line left over. My wife's was kinda OK. OBVIOUSLY, I'm going back and getting it fixed. BTW, how perfect are people asking for. Just wonder how much I should compromise.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Special glue is the way to go.

Old 07-24-2005, 02:49 AM
so what were the good places in OC that tinted over the dot matrix? What was the place that does it for fletcher jones?

Old 07-24-2005, 11:26 PM
Use Huper Optiq

I had my DG tinted with Huper Optiq (30%) and it was perfect. If you live in LA i can give you the number to this guy. The price was 335 or 355 i cant remember.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:22 AM
its fine...

my black coupe is 5% all around... no probs with the dot matrix... just make sure they do a good job and spend the extra hour or half hour makin sure all the bubbles are gone from the dot matrix area... even if they miss some, use your finger to push the remains out, is what i did, looks perfect.

NOW.. onto my question... anyone tint the windshield and sunroof yet? my tint guy said it's risky with the windshield cracking if he heats it up too much and the sunroof is the same, but even worse, because it gets the most sun and gets real hot, it has a huge chance of cracking, especially since it's close to 2% with 5% film on (because of stock 20% tint). any suggestions? i always get my windshields and sunroofs tinted (my last car had 20% on the windshield its badass, and in the coupe its hot as hell with all that sun)

Old 08-22-2005, 01:54 AM
on my 96 accord coupe, my guy tinted below the matrix then i went back a week later to have him mask and spray paint the matrix with black heat resistant flat black paint. it's been 3+ years and it looks great and no chipping or cracking.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dot Matrix question for the tinted rides