Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Attn: All MTEC aftermarket fog bulb owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy Attn: All MTEC aftermarket fog bulb owners

I installed my MTEC H4 super whites about 18 months ago. They looked real good, and matched the HID and Piaa extreme white bulbs very well.

I noticed some time ago, that the ribbed reflector surface above the fogs in my headlights had developed a 2-3" crack.

I took my car in for an oil change and trans flush, and mentioned the problem to my svc mgr.

They replaced both headlight assemblies for me, but warned me NOT TO USE THE MTECS any longer. They claimed they retain/give off more heat, and thats what caused the cracking.

I don't know if this is completely true, but just a heads up in case you notice any damage to your headlights. Take out the MTECS before you take it to the dealer......

Now I have to drive around with the crappy looking fogs and clearance bulbs.......uhhhhggggggg

Old 09-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard that cracking is pretty common.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's what I thought...I'm sure people have had cracking with stock bulbs too.

Old 09-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GR8TG35
I installed my MTEC H4 super whites about 18 months ago. They looked real good, and matched the HID and Piaa extreme white bulbs very well.

I noticed some time ago, that the ribbed reflector surface above the fogs in my headlights had developed a 2-3" crack.

I took my car in for an oil change and trans flush, and mentioned the problem to my svc mgr.

They replaced both headlight assemblies for me, but warned me NOT TO USE THE MTECS any longer. They claimed they retain/give off more heat, and thats what caused the cracking.

I don't know if this is completely true, but just a heads up in case you notice any damage to your headlights. Take out the MTECS before you take it to the dealer......

Now I have to drive around with the crappy looking fogs and clearance bulbs.......uhhhhggggggg

What wattage were the MTECs you used? There's two out there and some people mistakenly purchase the wrong one. For our cars, the 60/55w (reffered to as 2x) should be installed, not 170/160w (4x). Not sure if thats what you did but its a common mistake that most people don't notice.

Old 09-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Birdman, I used the 60/55W. It wasn't until just recently that I noticed the drivers side had a small crack, then this weekend I noticed the Passenger side was the same.....

I use my fogs all the time. If my HID's are on, so are the fogs......
they really held up great considering everybody else complaining about their after market bulbs dying in less than a year......

I may still look into replacing these ugly stock ones out again.....I wish I knew the temp difference between the stock and the MTEC's........I will admit, I have put my hand on the headlight covers after the lights have been on an hour or so, and they do get pretty warm to the touch....
Maybe it aided in the cracking, but I'm still not too sure that that is the only cause.....anyone else have their lights crack without aftermarket bulbs? Thanks in advance for the info....