Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Installing OEM lip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 06:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing OEM lip

Just wondering how hard it is to install and how much it usually costs to install the oem front lip

Old 10-18-2005, 10:25 AM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I installed mine myself without a template. Just line it up, drill the holes, mount. Took me about an hour. If you're not comfortable with drilling holes into your bumper, then take it to the dealer or a body shop. I wouldn't pay more than an hours worth of work for it. So whatever shop rate is..$65-$85/hour on average.

Old 10-18-2005, 03:02 PM
cool.. i figure it wouldn't be too hard.. were you satisfied with your work?

Old 10-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Moog
I installed mine myself without a template. Just line it up, drill the holes, mount. Took me about an hour. If you're not comfortable with drilling holes into your bumper, then take it to the dealer or a body shop. I wouldn't pay more than an hours worth of work for it. So whatever shop rate is..$65-$85/hour on average.

I've also heard that some don't drill the holes and just cut off the bolts that are suppose to insert into the bumper. Has anyone else done that, and what is the outcome? I just purchased my OEM lip, but not too sure about drilling holes into my bumper. If the lip catches onto anything, wouldn't that tear your bumper, instead of just messing up your lip? Any info. is appreciated, thanks.

Old 10-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by SWAT311
I've also heard that some don't drill the holes and just cut off the bolts that are suppose to insert into the bumper. Has anyone else done that, and what is the outcome? I just purchased my OEM lip, but not too sure about drilling holes into my bumper. If the lip catches onto anything, wouldn't that tear your bumper, instead of just messing up your lip? Any info. is appreciated, thanks.
To install the oem lip properly, you have to drill 6 holes in the bumper, or else the only thing holding the top of the lip is the two screws (drilled holes by the tires) on the sides. The top of the lip won't fit flush against the bumper.

Old 11-01-2005, 04:21 PM
I just took it to the dealer and had them do it.. its was $110.. I initially tried lining the template up but it didn't seem like it was lining up with the bolt.. I took it to a bodyshop and they tried it and they had the same problem.. overall I was satisfied with the dealership.. they hand washed and cleaned my car while I watched.. I also got to test drive the 06 coupe.. only one on the lot and they were cool about me driving it.. I saw the various subtle differences but nothing too drastic.. oh yea.. i test drove the m45 too.. it was a slow day at the dealership and the salesperson just wanted to get out.. =p

Old 11-01-2005, 04:37 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
that was def a waste of $110. It was so easy. Oh well. Congrats!

Old 11-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Randys_G
that was def a waste of $110. It was so easy. Oh well. Congrats!
I agree.. ironic since I installed everything on my car myself.. hfcat, swaybar, intake, catback, coilovers, full sound system, etc.. I installed the splashguards myself, but I didn't have the right sized drill bits and just didn't feel up to the task of drilling the wrong holes and driving around town if i screw up and might have to end up buying a new bumper.. so I just convinced myself to bite the bullet and have the dealer do it.. took it to a couple body shops and they've never done it before and the difference in price between them and the dealer was only $10

Old 11-01-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Keith N
To install the oem lip properly, you have to drill 6 holes in the bumper, or else the only thing holding the top of the lip is the two screws (drilled holes by the tires) on the sides. The top of the lip won't fit flush against the bumper.

Thanks. Looks like I'll be drilling...

Last edited by SWAT311; 11-01-2005 at 06:31 PM.