Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My locking (theft resistant) clear corners, or "as it should have been"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My locking (theft resistant) clear corners, or "as it should have been"

So, I was so paranoid that my corners would disappear in the first week that I didnt put them on. As everyone knows they pop off in a second and there goes $35. In fact its easier to remove the light from the body then the harness from the socket. I assume theives just take the socket off the light.
Thus I must make them "theft resistant" (nothing is theft proof).
I was experimenting with a few retaining options on my amber ones first. The easiest one was to loop a piece of soft but thick aluminum wire through the retaining clip once the light was popped in (sorry no pic). Keeping the clip from pulling back out. But if you pulled hard the clip would just bend back. The next version worked better and you dont have to pull apart the wheel well to get them off/on.
What I ended up with was lights that are retained by a screw coming in from the wheel well. I carefully drilled in the light at a slight angle by the clip making sure I did not go all the way through. Pre-thred your retaining screw in the housing to make it easier later. Then drilled a hole in the wheel well for the screw to go through. Pop in the light and fit in your screw. Its that easy. Well not really, it was a pain but I feel better about it. I used a stainless tork screw off a 80's GM car and cut it to the proper length (must be exact or it wont work right). The tork gives a better grip when installing and is a little more theft restitant then phillips or socket (and thats what I had on hand today). You do need a washer or the screw will pull through the soft plastic of the wheel well when forced. No final picture but you know what they look like. I have a 05 sedan but a similar mod may work for the coupe.
Its not an ideal solution but I though I would share it. If someone already did this why cant I find it? They should have come with something like this from the factory to slow the thieves down.

Attached Thumbnails My locking (theft resistant) clear corners, or "as it should have been"-0.jpg   My locking (theft resistant) clear corners, or "as it should have been"-1.jpg   My locking (theft resistant) clear corners, or "as it should have been"-2.jpg  
Old 05-08-2006, 08:09 PM
ON
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
You gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NICE JOB and great idea... but did you go through the plastic wheel lining? Didnt want to go behind the wheel well?

Old 05-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Never enough
A little hot glue goes a long way.

Old 05-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaVeeD
NICE JOB and great idea... but did you go through the plastic wheel lining? Didnt want to go behind the wheel well?
the plastic wheel well. and if I need to take them off its not a big deal. Hence "no glue".

Old 05-08-2006, 10:46 PM
THE BATMOBILE
good work, great idea