Notices

Philips Ultinon D2S 6000K Bulb Bad in 5 Months?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 02:46 AM
_jb
Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Philips Ultinon D2S 6000K Bulb Bad in 5 Months?

I put a set of 2006 Projector headlights in my 2005 Coupe last April. I bought all new bulbs. I noticed tonight that the Philips Ultinon D2S 6000K bulb on the right headlight no longer lights up.

All the lights in that housing work except the Philips Ultinon bulb. It doesn't work on either high or low beam.

Could this be a fuse? If it could be a fuse, where is the fuse box for the front main bulb located?

Old 08-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
fuse box is next to the battery, you need to remove the wiper shroud to see the box mounted on the firewall and pull up the cover towards you.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:02 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Might be a fuse. It also could be the bulb. Re-check the connection.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:08 AM
EASY fix!

the thing that connects to the bulb (forget what it's called) just got lose. here's how to get her fixed.

I learned the VERY hard way TWICE lol
the first time, i took off the bumper (reason for this, i tried to see if it was the ballast or whatever) swapped bulbs, and both of them were good.
the second time, i took off the right wheel off and noticed I could of done the job from the top of the engine bay.

so yea, here's what you do.

open your hood, unscrew the passengers side from the top, should be fairly easy if you have thin hands lol put your fingers in your housing and push the thing that connects to your bulb.

you'll notice right-away if it was lose or not. turn on your lights and it'll turn back on.

Let me know how it goes.
by the way, I think the passengers side 06 headlight connector is the culprit. I did hear it happen to someone else.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:35 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by IvoryGT
fuse box is next to the battery, you need to remove the wiper shroud to see the box mounted on the firewall and pull up the cover towards you.
I assume this is the wiper shroud ypu're talking about? Right above the battery cover.

Do I have to take the whole shroud off?

I have a Service Manual for the 2005 Coupe, I just can't find any reference to the actual fuse box itself. I found where they show what fuses go in each connection, but I can't find out how to get to the actual fuse box.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:45 PM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by sky350GT
the thing that connects to the bulb (forget what it's called) just got lose. here's how to get her fixed.

open your hood, unscrew the passengers side from the top, should be fairly easy if you have thin hands lol put your fingers in your housing and push the thing that connects to your bulb.

you'll notice right-away if it was lose or not. turn on your lights and it'll turn back on.
That's a great tip, thanks. I see what you mean. I can see the plastic round-bulb-opening cover through one of the openings. I can't get it loose through the opening though.

Let me know how it goes.
by the way, I think the passengers side 06 headlight connector is the culprit. I did hear it happen to someone else.
It is the passenger's side that is causing the problem on my car.

My plan was to order a spare bulb on Sunday so that it would be here by Tuesday. I didn't want to have to take the fenderwell apart twice. Maybe I'll give your method a go tomorrow. If it will save me $140, it's worth a try!

Old 08-19-2006, 11:24 PM
no, not the whole shroud, its sectional, just take off the one right above the battery along with the battery cover.

Also the iqnitor might be loose is what sky350gt was refering to. You turn it clockwise to lock it in place behind the bulb.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:33 AM
Also the iqnitor might be loose is what sky350gt was refering to. You turn it clockwise to lock it in place behind the bulb.
he said the word I keep forgetting! the damn ignitor! lol

just turn it clockwise to lock it and you should be good. no need to buy a spare bulb

Old 08-20-2006, 09:32 PM
_jb
Photographer

EASY fix!

so yea, here's what you do.

Thank You!!!

I had trouble getting my hand into the small opening near the top of the headlight assembly, so I planned to go in through the fenderwell to see if the connector was loose. As I was getting set to remove the fenderwell, I thought I'd give your method one more try... Success!!!

I found that I could get my fingers to the big finned cover. I turned my hand upside down from the normal way you would access the screw and could spin it by pushing the finned grippers (or whatever they are called). Once I got the finned cover open, I could reach in and feel that the chrome plug that connects the wires to the bulb was completely off. I could kind of feel my way around and push the chrome connector back on. Flip on the headlights, and wallah!!! Right side headlight glows again.

The plastic cover was hard to get back in place, but there's a trick. There's a small hole in the unibody directly over the area in the headlight where the finned cover screws in. If you get a flashlight you can see the back of the headlight and it makes it easier to get the plastic cover screwed in again.

You saved me from scraping up my hands trying to get at the projector bulb through the fenderwell, or maybe taking my front bumper off again. Your method takes about five minutes once you know how to orient your fingers through the small opening. Thanks!

Maybe this should be a sticky?

Old 08-20-2006, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has happened to me twice and I did the exact same thing.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:24 AM
_jb
Photographer

no, not the whole shroud, its sectional, just take off the one right above the battery along with the battery cover.
Thanks for the tip on the fuse box. I didn't have to take it off this time, but I'm sure I will someday in the future.

Is the ignitor the chrome thing that connects the wires to the bulb, or the large circular plastic cover with fins that you screw down after the chrome wire connector?

Old 08-21-2006, 12:25 AM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by Mike_Deezy
This has happened to me twice and I did the exact same thing.
Did it happen on your passenger side too?

Old 08-21-2006, 02:00 AM
the chrome piece is the iqnitor, the plastic is just a cover to prevent moisture.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by _jb
Thank You!!!

I had trouble getting my hand into the small opening near the top of the headlight assembly, so I planned to go in through the fenderwell to see if the connector was loose. As I was getting set to remove the fenderwell, I thought I'd give your method one more try... Success!!!

I found that I could get my fingers to the big finned cover. I turned my hand upside down from the normal way you would access the screw and could spin it by pushing the finned grippers (or whatever they are called). Once I got the finned cover open, I could reach in and feel that the chrome plug that connects the wires to the bulb was completely off. I could kind of feel my way around and push the chrome connector back on. Flip on the headlights, and wallah!!! Right side headlight glows again.

The plastic cover was hard to get back in place, but there's a trick. There's a small hole in the unibody directly over the area in the headlight where the finned cover screws in. If you get a flashlight you can see the back of the headlight and it makes it easier to get the plastic cover screwed in again.

You saved me from scraping up my hands trying to get at the projector bulb through the fenderwell, or maybe taking my front bumper off again. Your method takes about five minutes once you know how to orient your fingers through the small opening. Thanks!

Maybe this should be a sticky?
glad I could be of help! let's just say, I wouldn't want anyone else to take off the whole bumper/wheel for such a small thing lol

it happened to me twice as well, and I know it wont be the last! lol

Old 08-21-2006, 02:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by _jb
Did it happen on your passenger side too?
Yes, passenger side both times. Not sure why this only happens to the passenger side and not the driver side. Luckily it's on the passenger side b/c I don't think that I'll be able to fix it w/o taking the bumper off it the driver's side went out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Philips Ultinon D2S 6000K Bulb Bad in 5 Months?