Notices

TSX Retrofit Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 10:19 AM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
No, I just wanted to see some finished pics of the outside. Installed or not.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Why do I bother to DIY???
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by E_K
The shrouds/bezels are a combination of the HIDplanet chrome bezel, a polished lens holder from a halogen projector, and polished tin sheets.

The low beam is a TSX projector, that was the point of posting the pic. It's mounted onto the stock reflector. I don't think the TSX projector can be mounted directly to the metal bracket easily. A E46 projector can, but not TSX.
So E_K...in the shot above of the bare mounted projectors (back cover missing), did you cut the reflector right where the "E_K" is on the photo to mount the low beam projector? This cut was necessary to mount the projector...so the reflector was used primarily as a mounting point...correct?

I want to do this mod...and you and TTrank make it seem so easy! I just want to know what I'm getting myself into before I start buying all the parts. I also read through your quick DIY...and it doesn't seem that bad.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:49 PM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ttrank
No, I just wanted to see some finished pics of the outside. Installed or not.

Let me know if this is what you're looking for.

Originally Posted by RocketG35
So E_K...in the shot above of the bare mounted projectors (back cover missing), did you cut the reflector right where the "E_K" is on the photo to mount the low beam projector? This cut was necessary to mount the projector...so the reflector was used primarily as a mounting point...correct?

I want to do this mod...and you and TTrank make it seem so easy! I just want to know what I'm getting myself into before I start buying all the parts. I also read through your quick DIY...and it doesn't seem that bad.
Yes, I'm essentially using the stock reflector as a mounting bracket. You will need to cut it. I use high strength dremel wheels. Those things will cut through metal.

It's not a hard mod. The hardest part for me is opening the headlights, or at least that's my least favorite part. If you want to do it right though, I would get an extra pair of headlights, otherwise, you'll be too rushed.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
RocketG35, keep in mind EK's pic is of a coupe headlight. The sedan is totally different. I am doing a TSX retro as we speak. It's not too bad, but I would also definitely recommend getting a second set of headlights. ttrank is some sort of superhuman to be able to do this in one weekend. Props to him. It took me 2 weeks just to figure out how I wanted to mount mine. But I am doing alot of other work in there too, painting, demon eyes, etc. It is a fun project though!

Old 11-14-2006, 12:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E_K, how did you remove the yellow plastic parking light cover and replace it w/ a clear one?

Old 11-14-2006, 01:01 AM
One other question E_K, in the end, how much would one spend on parts to do this retrofit mod?

Old 11-14-2006, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by E_K
Yes, I'm essentially using the stock reflector as a mounting bracket. You will need to cut it. I use high strength dremel wheels. Those things will cut through metal.

It's not a hard mod. The hardest part for me is opening the headlights, or at least that's my least favorite part. If you want to do it right though, I would get an extra pair of headlights, otherwise, you'll be too rushed.
Thanks for clarifying E_K...

Originally Posted by khsonic03
RocketG35, keep in mind EK's pic is of a coupe headlight. The sedan is totally different. I am doing a TSX retro as we speak. It's not too bad, but I would also definitely recommend getting a second set of headlights. ttrank is some sort of superhuman to be able to do this in one weekend. Props to him. It took me 2 weeks just to figure out how I wanted to mount mine. But I am doing alot of other work in there too, painting, demon eyes, etc. It is a fun project though!
Thanks also for the heads up...never knew that they were that different...will have to really think about it before proceeding...and maybe...it would be wise to source another set of headlights to take my time. *sigh* You guys are all superhuman to even start this

Old 11-14-2006, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by khsonic03
Forgot to ask...even though they are different, the TSX still fits in easily right? Did you mount to the reflector just like E_K did?

Old 11-14-2006, 06:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So far, everything seems to be fitting fine. I used a slightly different approach than EK and the rest, but I suppose it is the same concept. I will be posting pictures when I am done. I might even offer to use my old headlights to do a conversion for someone else if anyone is interested.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:31 AM
E_K
Originally Posted by bikinilust
One other question E_K, in the end, how much would one spend on parts to do this retrofit mod?

To replace the amber reflector, you have to dremel out the amber portion, and replace it with a clear reflector. I use some acrylic lighting panes from Home Depot. A $7 sheet will be enough for at least 30 sets of lights.

The cost isn't a straight forward answer. You'll need a set of projectors, so that's about $100 to $200. Other than that, it depends on if you want to use a spare set of lights (about $300 on ebay), or if you want to put in 4 projectors (add the costs of 2 extra projectors, 2 extra ballasts, 2 extra HID bulbs).

My material costs for this retrofit is about $1500:

TSX projectors $200
TL projectors $300
Clear lenses for TLs $45
CCFL about $10
Potted CCFL inverters $10
Spare set of headlights $300
50W ballasts $300
4x 50W Philips DL50 bulbs $200
H4 harness for the fog/high beam $40
Various dremel bits, headlight sealant, heat shrink, diodes. >$50

and 6 months of testing/aiming/labor

The first retrofit that I did, I completed in 20 hours straight. But I don't like working on a time constraint.

I've mounted the projectors in 3 ways in the past. One using the stock reflector, one using an acrylic sheet that I cut, and third, directly to the metal bracket. I find that I have better results going with the stock reflector.

Old 11-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Red face

CCFL? Potted CCFL? I'm only thinking on putting either the S2000 or the TSX projector, 6000K bulbs, and change out the amber reflector. What would i need for this set up? Which headlight sealant did you use? And finally, why would i need a spare set of headlights? Because of the down time?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to see what im getting myself into.

Old 11-18-2006, 08:00 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
E_K those are some beautiful shrouds. Which headlights are they off of? With my retrofit I have to end up cut off the rear part of the black housing. then seal it back up again because I dont mount the projectors that far forward due to the projector showing without long shrouds that you have.

But opening up the headlight really isnt that hard. it takes me about 20 mins.
1. heat up the open on "bake" to 375 degrees.
2. turn off oven once it reaches 375 (very important)
3. place headlight inside the oven for 10 mins.
4. Remove the headlight and pry apart the headlight carefully. Remember to remove the 3 screws.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:10 PM
E_K
Originally Posted by bikinilust
CCFL? Potted CCFL? I'm only thinking on putting either the S2000 or the TSX projector, 6000K bulbs, and change out the amber reflector. What would i need for this set up? Which headlight sealant did you use? And finally, why would i need a spare set of headlights? Because of the down time?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to see what im getting myself into.
Yes, an extra set is highly recommended. I've been able to do retrofits within one day, but you tend to rush things. How it looks afterwards is just as important as everything else.

Do a search for CCFL, there's a few threads on it. Potted means that it has a black resin poured onto the electronics (in this case, the CCFL inverter). It's designed to draw heat away from the components, but most importantly it waterproofs and shockproofs the components. I've had two conventional CCFL inverters go out on me. These potted units really are waterproof.

IvoryGT, the shrouds are a combination of HIDplanet chrome shrouds with polished tin sheets for the low beam, and a polished halogen projector lens holder with polished tin sheets as well. I used to use the oven method, but with my current house, the oven's too small, so I have to use a heat gun. I still don't like opening the headlights though. My favorite part is making custom shields and adjusting the focal distance to achieve the sharpest cutoff.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey E_K,

I tried doing my headlights again this past weekend and once again the lights were aimed too high. It seems that the passenger side black bracket almost forces the TSX projector to be aimed upward. I tried to install the projector the same way you did.

Even after I aimed the projector as low as possible the back of the projector seemed to hit the top of the rear opening of the housing.

It also seems that if I were to mount the projector in front of the the circular opening of the bracket, I would not have enough room to close the headlights. The gap between the lense and the housing would be about a quarter inch.

I attached some pics and hopefully you can help me out. Thanks!!!

In this first pic you can see that the projector hits the bracket...which keeps im from being able to aim it at a lower angle...

The second pic shows how much higher the TSX lights are compared to my OEM 06 lights...the distance is about 5 feet from the wall...

Old 11-19-2006, 07:00 PM
E_K
Originally Posted by daniel3ooo
Hey E_K,
Even after I aimed the projector as low as possible the back of the projector seemed to hit the top of the rear opening of the housing.

It also seems that if I were to mount the projector in front of the the circular opening of the bracket, I would not have enough room to close the headlights. The gap between the lense and the housing would be about a quarter inch.

I think I had to trim parts of the TSX projector so that it won't hit the black bracket. I used a dremel with highstrength cutting wheels.

I also trimmed the stock bezel to give the TSX projector more room. I've had to do this on all my retrofits, since I always mount the projectors as far forward as possible.

So which projector is brighter, the 06 or TSX?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TSX Retrofit Problems!!!