Notices

Super Quad Projector Retrofit II: Hyper Lighting' (many pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you have some serious skills. I wish I could have something of the sort on my 06 coupe.
great work EK.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Diy??? Please

Old 02-24-2009, 01:58 AM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Tofuproductions, thanks for the compliment. The 06 lights will be easier to work with compared to the 03 lights, since you'll already have low beam projector to begin with. The only problem would be if you wanted S2000 as low beams.

MTG35guy, I didn't take enough pics during the build process to make a good DIY, and it would be about 2 pages single spaced if I tried to document everything that was done for these lights. But there's actually youtube videos of people doing a projector retrofit from start to finish. The videos will give you a much better sense for what's involved. Keep in mind, there's more than one way to do this work. Feel free to PM me if you want some advice.

I finally got my side markers back on. I also put a Xpel headlight protector film on the lights. It decreased the color somewhat at the cutoff, but at least it'll prevent the new outer lenses from getting any worse from pits and scratches.

I adjusted the aim, moving the driver beam more towards the center midline, and moving the passenger light more towards the side.

edit** pics got lost

Last edited by E_K; 04-07-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:11 PM
E_K
My pics got lost, so I reposted a bunch of them.

Here's a crappy video of the signal light and LEDs.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those purple tinted lenses are pretty sweet.

i love how quad setups look w/ 3k fogs, so cool

Old 04-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
G

I don't know how I missed this thread before.

E_K, I think you have one of the hottest set of headlights on this forum.

Incredible job, man.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
What if somebody offered you an insane offer for your headlights, say for $2500US. Would you accept?

Old 04-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant speak for E_K but I am in the process of doing my quad setup for sedan, and after you add up all the parts and time, it would be scary to see what you have into them. They are a labor of love.

I enjoy doing retros and have done multiple sets on various cars so the other side of me says it would depend on total cost of parts etc.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:50 PM
E_K
Thanks for the comments.

Originally Posted by fullvietFX
What if somebody offered you an insane offer for your headlights, say for $2500US. Would you accept?
These things really take alot of time, and these days I'd rather spend my time with my daughter. But I appreciate the interest. These lights took me a total of 9 months, starting from the very beginning when I had TSX/TL combo. It's at least 100 hours of labor. The money is relative, I can make $2500 in 3 days at work.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this old, but somehow I missed it. Nice work!

Old 06-13-2010, 11:22 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
nice, like it.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:26 PM
E_K
Thanks. I've had this setup for about a year now. Looking back, it was a good idea to put that 3M headlight protector film on. There's a few minor road debris dents in the film, but it would have been much worse if the bare plastic lens took the road damage, which would have messed up the beam pattern.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Im in the process of doing my own retrofit atm, and i have reached an issue with both the E46 shrouds and the TL projectors.

First off, i have the 06 headlights, and i wanted to go with quad projectors. I bought the TL ones, considering its reputation, but i have a problem. They do not fit, due to the bottom section has that adapter. Did you cut a slot open to fit that?

Also, im trying ot figure out how this is all suppsod ot be connected. Im considering sellin gthese and going with the TSX, seeing as they are simpler.

Lastly, what shroud did you use for the lowbeam/foglight projector? I cant fit anything into that slot to cover it up.

Any hlep you can offer please let me know.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:21 AM
E_K
The bottom section for the 06 lights is smaller than the 03-05 lights, so you're going to have a bigger challenge trying to make the TL's fit in those. I know that it's been done, but I haven't done it. I was able to just barely get the TL's to fit in my 03-05 lights without having to cut the housing. I had to cut a slot into the bezel for the solenoid (what you call the adapter) on the TL's.

The wiring should be straight forward, you'll need to tap into the wires for the stock 06 projector solenoid for the TL's solenoid. But I'd worry about trying to get it to fit first.

I had to make my own custom shroud for all the projectors, since I couldn't find any shrouds that fit with what I needed. If you're able to polish aluminum to a chrome like shine, you can fabricate something to look fairly OEM.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by E_K
The bottom section for the 06 lights is smaller than the 03-05 lights, so you're going to have a bigger challenge trying to make the TL's fit in those. I know that it's been done, but I haven't done it. I was able to just barely get the TL's to fit in my 03-05 lights without having to cut the housing. I had to cut a slot into the bezel for the solenoid (what you call the adapter) on the TL's.

The wiring should be straight forward, you'll need to tap into the wires for the stock 06 projector solenoid for the TL's solenoid. But I'd worry about trying to get it to fit first.

I had to make my own custom shroud for all the projectors, since I couldn't find any shrouds that fit with what I needed. If you're able to polish aluminum to a chrome like shine, you can fabricate something to look fairly OEM.
Well i actually talked to the guys at theretrofitsource, and they helped me out a lot. Im going to end up not going with the TL projectors, and probably going wiht either the TSX or the FXR ones. I care not for the Bixenon, since the projector will still be functioning as my fog.

Now i just got to figure out a shroud that works with that space. I might even have to end up maknig my own as well. So far, i think i can fit the Gattling gun shroud on the OEM projector (cutting out the OEM housing however).

Also, i will be painting everything gloss black, including the shrouds, so i wont have that issue of shine.

On a side note, i have 2 questions. The CCFL ring you used, i can tell its extremely bright. Which company did you buy it from? And finally, where did you purchase the clear lens from for the turn signal? I ownt be running it as the turn signal, but rather, as the city light.

Thanks again. And you did an amazing job with your kit. Your retrofit was what inspired me to do mine

Last edited by VEN0M; 07-27-2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: error

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Super Quad Projector Retrofit II: Hyper Lighting' (many pics)