Notices

LED Speedometer Conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Speedometer Conversion

So I finally got around to doing this based on these infamous write ups...
https://g35driver.com/forums/lightin...p-display.html

but decided to provide more updated info since LED technology has evolved since the initial start...

I only did the combination meter, clock, ignition ring, cigarette lighter and have film for the ac display just havent gotten to it yet...

I used these led for the cluster http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ecs/74_t15.htm

13 if you have a MT or 14 for auto if you plan on swapping the turn signals and high beam... and the light that goes through the display for mileage I havent figured how to make it blue like accord freak did as it has an orange filter before it...so with a blue LED the mileage looks dark green blue...

the glove box, ign ring and cig lighter I used these..http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...pecs/74-x.html and a couple xtras I just clipped and wired into the clock light bases, but these wouldve work to, I think..http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b.../specs/NEO.htm "neo4" is what they look like with a neo 3 in the vdc button IIRC..

So I thought Id post pics of how to get to the cluster cuz that was going to be the hardest part, if any...

any ways start by pulling the bottom dash cover off and remove the bolt below the hood latch, you can leave it attached and laying on the floor..

start removing the screws around the steering wheel trim
Name:  LEDConversion6.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  44.2 KB

pop out the L and R combination switches which have easy press clips in it
Name:  LEDConversion5.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  34.4 KB

remove this screw and the one on the other side
Name:  LEDConversion8.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  54.4 KB

then this girdle
Name:  LEDConversion4.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  59.6 KB

then the bolt that was there, 4 total on this piece

Name:  LEDConversion2.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  44.5 KBName:  LEDConversion3.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  68.5 KB

and then unclip the mirror switch
Name:  LEDConversion1.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  49.6 KB
then you can fanagle the 2 rear clips off the back of the speedo and itll be free

Dis-assembly of the unit is easy and all the lights come out easy, I sanded the plastic with the needles on cuz I was scared to break them and couldnt get them off.

A few important notes IMO is when I was sanding different areas I moved the needle to the the side and actually moved the needle past where it had originally been ON THE ROD. If this happens you will have to move it back, but make sure ou test it with the face plate and everything apart before reassembly..if that makes sense

what happened was I put everything back together assuming all was good only to find out my speed said 15mph with out the engine running and the temp gauge was reading 3-4 clicks higher than normal..sux going back in..

also my needles dont light up anymore...which I assume is because of this:
there is a prism looking mechanism built that starts at the needle and sprawls out around the needle motor toward the light bulb holes, I assume that since a normal light bulb sends light in all directions vs a LED which had focused light, those prisms dont catch the LED light and direct it into the needle... I tried sanding some to try and refract more light but no dice...

also tried a few layers of film inbetween with a regular white bulb just to see and it looked more cany blue and wont be as beautiful as the blue led..

anyway heres the pics... eventually Ill get to the door switches and ac/heater pieces.. luckily I have and aftermarket stereo so I dont have to screw with all the other bs

Name:  LEDConversion20.jpg
Views: 1961
Size:  104.1 KBName:  LEDConversion27.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  22.5 KB

Old 02-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
In for subscription.

Epic write-up.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
can this get a sticky ?

Old 02-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice

Old 02-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Really Needs a Life
Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts
nice

Old 10-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm thinking of doing this really soon. Our gauges suck. Are the LED's any brighter? They look really bright in the pics.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:32 AM
brighter? yes

prettier? yes

hot spots? yes

would i do it again? no

I would rather solder in blue ccfl rings instead. I thing the glow would be better and more even, still havent fixed the odometer yet so its dim with a blue led...id leave a regular bulb in there

and also havent fixed the needles yet. havent decided if i want to try and wire leds into the prisms that reflect light into the needle or glue a SMD to the needle base like the OP who made the first write up

Old 10-15-2011, 12:56 PM
I was thinking on doing white leds with blue film or even just do white bulbs with blue film like the ac display.Then do the blue leds in the switches.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:01 PM
if your going to do the film either way then just leave the bulbs in as the light will disperse better and your needles will stay lit, it doesnt make sense to do film and leds, when you going to get the same result with hot spots whether the leds are blue OR white..

Old 10-15-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the help. I will try to tackle this within the next couple of weeks. I guess I need a to find a place to get the film from.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by crazy8ship
Thanks for the help. I will try to tackle this within the next couple of weeks. I guess I need a to find a place to get the film from.
i found some on ebay for cheap, the craft stores didnt have crap, Im thinking tho that you may end up happier and with a more "pimp" looking dash if you do ccfl rings..

Old 10-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Do you have any pics of a dash with the ccfl rings. I'm not sure I ever saw this before.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Do you have any pics of a dash with the ccfl rings. I'm not sure I ever saw this before.
nope havent done it havent seen it, but think it will probably glow pretty badass... u know what ccfl rings are?

Old 10-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Yeah the halo rings BMW uses in their headlights.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would like to see this as well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED Speedometer Conversion