Notices

Are high beams hid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 01:01 AM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Are high beams hid?

So I got my g today and tonite when I turned the lights on I noticed they were hid, which is sweet. I got in a dark area and turned my brights on and they have more of a halogen color. They don't appear to be hid. Are they? I'd like to get a set of hid's for the high beams. I'd like to keep them around the same color as the low beams. Maybe alittle brighter. What color should I go with and is there anything I should know before ordering a kit?

Are the fog lights built into the headlights or is there suppose to be a separate lense? If it's suppose to be a separate lamp then I don't think I've got fogs lol. If they are built into the headlamps (sorry just got my g today and haven't looked around much) what hid's should I get for them. Thanks I'm advance for your input guys.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just joined here but I replaced one of the HID's on my G35 today so I figure I can help you. The high beams are indeed halogen 9003 HB2-type bulbs. The high beams and the fog lights use the exact same bulbs just a different intensity, so if you are replacing the high beams you are also replacing the fog lights. You can see the fog lights by turning on your low beam HID's, then turning the fog lights on.

That being said, I don't recommend switching out your halogen high beams for HID's. First of all the ballasts are not made for HID's, neither is the wiring, so you would have to do quite a bit of retooling to install working HID's into the high beam housings. The best route to go if you want bright white high beams is to get halogens with a whiter color temperature, like Sylvania SilverStar Ultra or Philips CrystalVision Ultra. These will directly replace your existing halogens and give you a whiter color.

The following users liked this post:
bigjee (09-29-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 04:09 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, what'd you get?

But as to your question, no they're not hid's. You can get them retrofitted though!

check out Eric at@

https://g35driver.com/forums/exterio...-lighting.html

Old 09-02-2011, 08:34 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
they are extremely easy to do yourself. i took it to a friend and he did it in all of about 10 minutes. go buy a 35 watt HID kit from one of our vendors or online (i would stay away from ebay). DDtuning.com is where i got mine. 60 bucks for the balast, wiring, and 6000k bulbs. or if you want they to match your current bulbs, possibly like 4300? or 5000k, not sure which it is. i replaced both with 6000k myself.

all you have to do , is tap into the old wiring which is easy. im sure there is a DIY guide somewhere on here if you search for it

Old 09-02-2011, 12:09 PM
So there aren't any plug and play kits for the high beams? I'll have to find that DIY and check it out. I'd like the high beams to be brighter of course but about the same color. If anyone has the DIY link right off top feel free to post it

Old 09-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
not like plug and play in terms of just replacing the bulbs, no. you cant put an HID bulb ina regular ballast /socket or it will burn up. i think its too little current compared to halogens? dunno.

but that one that carbody kits has is a good deal (support our vendors !!), plus i hear many good things from them.

the DIY is not hard. pretty much just taking out your headlights, modifying the cap that guards the high's to allow 3 wires instead of 1 small one (dremmel it ), then connecting the wires to the old wire for a relay, and plugging it in. literally took him 10 minutes.

and id go with 55watt 8000k. if i remember right, i read somewhere that 55watt 8000k is about the same color white that 6000k 35 watt is (stock hid is 35watt for us). but it will be much brighter. my high's are 35w 6000k, so they match, but arent the brightest.

also, keep in mind, HID do not work as well as halogens in reflector headlights (at least now 6000k and above). my high's were brighter with halogens, but now they look much cleaner white. i still get oooh and ah's out of people

if you want brightness and powerful, only way to go is projectors, and you can get a pair of 06's , or aftermarket projects for like 450-500. strafe makes some nice ones.

summary of sorts: my personal thoughts: if you want super bright/powerful/effective, just go buy some 06 projectors. if you just want to make them match, have a classy look for cheaper, but a 55w hi/lo kit with 8000k bulbs would be a great look too.

also... i just realized that i dunno if you have 03-05 head lights or 06 projectors already. in which case ignore all of this if its projectors already

Old 09-02-2011, 12:49 PM
I've got an 05. By plug and play I meant an hid kit where you plug your stock wiring into a ballast that has the hid bulb on the other end. If I remember correctly, when I had my gsr I ordered a kit and that's how it was. Just plugged the stock wiring into the wire connected to the ballast and then on the other side of the ballast some wiring came out to an hid bulb.

I'll have to check out this kit when I get home. On my phone right now. Would like to get the full effect of this kit you're selling me on

Old 09-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a good idea. You dont want to flash HID bulbs on and off, which you have to do everytime you pass someone. You can retrofit them in but dont get pissed when the ballasts take a dump.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by funnyscreenname
I've got an 05. By plug and play I meant an hid kit where you plug your stock wiring into a ballast that has the hid bulb on the other end. If I remember correctly, when I had my gsr I ordered a kit and that's how it was. Just plugged the stock wiring into the wire connected to the ballast and then on the other side of the ballast some wiring came out to an hid bulb.

I'll have to check out this kit when I get home. On my phone right now. Would like to get the full effect of this kit you're selling me on
on my 03, i installed an HID H4, the H4 bulb has 2 bulbs in it, HID or not. but on the HID one, my low beam(fog) is 6000k HID and my high beam is a regular halogen bulb. the HID part is run through the ballast where as the halogen part is run off the stock wiring, that way i dont fry my balast when flashing my highs at someone. but at the same time i need to turn off my fogs if i flash em too, cuz they only one bulb will be on at a time. but yeah, super easy to install, bulb to ballast, ballast to bulb, and then theres a little adapter that comes from the wiring that connects to your stock wiring harness. with the bumper off and the headlight dismounted, it took all of 30 seconds to disconect the old one and reconnect the new one. i do suggest you get the slim ballasts though, i had the hardest time finding a spot for those big *** ballasts!!! freakin PITA!!! lol a lot of ppl can fit the slims inside the headlight housing which will help w/ waterproofing it.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Crustybug
Not a good idea. You dont want to flash HID bulbs on and off, which you have to do everytime you pass someone. You can retrofit them in but dont get pissed when the ballasts take a dump.
Remember that when your turn your HID's on they take a second to actually be on and turning them on and off and night will lead to problems with the lights ^^^^. You shouldnt be driving with them on an night unless your in a rural area.. It will look badass but IMO you will spend money on time on a useless mod. Put it towards exhaust or coils.