Notices

Installed ($10) Daytime Running Lights 2006 G35 Coupe (US)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed ($10) Daytime Running Lights 2006 G35 Coupe (US)

A lot of you have probably seen this post showing how to install DRL's using a $10 relay on a 2008 G35.

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/show...up-p26007.html

I lived in Buffalo, NY and owned (new) a '06 G35. A few years ago I married my wife and moved to Ontario, Canada. I imported my G and had to have the RIV inspection done but needed to do the DRL's. I had to have a recall done also and while it was at the dealership I asked them to check to see if the DRL's could be "turned on". Of course it didn't have the module so they quoted me $500 + to install them. I read the above post but was weary because it was a second generation install. I knew though that in theory it was possible. It took me a couple of days to get the wiring right (that and it was freezing out) but I got it.

The IPDM is behind the battery which you have to take out first. I only have a couple of pics of the engine compartment with the $10 relay mounted to the inside fender.

The point I guess is that though I've been a long time reader this is my first post. I've gotten a lot of info off of this site and thought it was time for me to contribute and give back. I also have a visio diagram of the schematic which I need to tweak before I post it but basically DRL's can be installed with a $10 relay on a first generation G.

Attached Thumbnails Installed () Daytime Running Lights 2006 G35 Coupe (US)-img-20130105-00135.jpg   Installed () Daytime Running Lights 2006 G35 Coupe (US)-ipdm-before.jpg   Installed () Daytime Running Lights 2006 G35 Coupe (US)-img-20130105-00134.jpg  
Old 01-08-2013, 03:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kudos to getting this diy done!! By chance can you send me a copy of that "wiring diagram" you mentioned above?? I myself am trying (as I type, it has been a looong day) to do something similar but with my fog lights instead... currently am stuck... could use your help, thanks in advance!!

Old 01-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by eisej
A lot of you have probably seen this post showing how to install DRL's using a $10 relay on a 2008 G35.

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/show...up-p26007.html

I lived in Buffalo, NY and owned (new) a '06 G35. A few years ago I married my wife and moved to Ontario, Canada. I imported my G and had to have the RIV inspection done but needed to do the DRL's. I had to have a recall done also and while it was at the dealership I asked them to check to see if the DRL's could be "turned on". Of course it didn't have the module so they quoted me $500 + to install them. I read the above post but was weary because it was a second generation install. I knew though that in theory it was possible. It took me a couple of days to get the wiring right (that and it was freezing out) but I got it.

The IPDM is behind the battery which you have to take out first. I only have a couple of pics of the engine compartment with the $10 relay mounted to the inside fender.

The point I guess is that though I've been a long time reader this is my first post. I've gotten a lot of info off of this site and thought it was time for me to contribute and give back. I also have a visio diagram of the schematic which I need to tweak before I post it but basically DRL's can be installed with a $10 relay on a first generation G.

Do you have a close-up pic showing what wire you spliced into on the IPDM (as opposed to your first pic)...?? Thanks man!!

Old 01-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
u could buy the relay from kp tech and use their foglight diagram for the install to get drls

Old 01-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the delay

I apologize for not posting these sooner. I'll mention why since it has something to do with importing a car into Canada. We just got the insurance for it and got a temp safety sticker. My neighbor, who is a certified diesel mechanic T310 I think, said that Canada no longer connects to your tailpipes to do your emissions test but instead link up to the computer. If you have any emissions issues you fail and unfortunately I have a small evap leak DTC that I need to clear up. I've done the gas cap but it keeps coming back after it does that long emissions test/diag.

Again my apologies. I wanted to double check my pin outs because I may have switched pin 87a with pin 30. I didn't mention any colors coming off of the relay because yours may be unicque. But the fog lights for the '06 G35 coupe are Sky Blue and White Green. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to help.

One last thing. The way that I have mine connected it has all the running lights on, not just the fogs. I just felt that it would be better because I think one of the downfalls of DRL's is that people don't bother turning on their lights when it starts to get dark. With stock DRL's your rear running lights are not on. With the way I have them, they are always on, which to me is a little bit safer.

Attached Thumbnails Installed () Daytime Running Lights 2006 G35 Coupe (US)-daytime-running-lights-schematic.jpg   Installed () Daytime Running Lights 2006 G35 Coupe (US)-img-20130108-00137.jpg   Installed () Daytime Running Lights 2006 G35 Coupe (US)-img-20130108-00138.jpg  
Old 01-20-2013, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by eisej
I apologize for not posting these sooner. I'll mention why since it has something to do with importing a car into Canada. We just got the insurance for it and got a temp safety sticker. My neighbor, who is a certified diesel mechanic T310 I think, said that Canada no longer connects to your tailpipes to do your emissions test but instead link up to the computer. If you have any emissions issues you fail and unfortunately I have a small evap leak DTC that I need to clear up. I've done the gas cap but it keeps coming back after it does that long emissions test/diag.

Again my apologies. I wanted to double check my pin outs because I may have switched pin 87a with pin 30. I didn't mention any colors coming off of the relay because yours may be unicque. But the fog lights for the '06 G35 coupe are Sky Blue and White Green. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to help.

One last thing. The way that I have mine connected it has all the running lights on, not just the fogs. I just felt that it would be better because I think one of the downfalls of DRL's is that people don't bother turning on their lights when it starts to get dark. With stock DRL's your rear running lights are not on. With the way I have them, they are always on, which to me is a little bit safer.
No worries man, thanks for your efforts!! The diagram you included is very tough to read even after you click onto it (even upon saving a copy to my desktop), it's hard to make out the lettering... Question- In your third pic is that an extra led brake light bar of some sort you incorporated or is that just a really bad effect from the camera flash?? Interesting..

I got fed up with trying to modify the oem fog light relay at the IPDM, adding an inline fuse, routing a wire back into the car etc. etc. in order to have that "independent fog light switch mod" via the oem combination switch (aka the left turn signal stalk).

DOMOMy Solution- I went the semi-simple route and just added a separate switch so I can turn on the fogs lights at will whenever I like. Took me a total of abt 3 hrs to complete this project also bc I wanted to have a clean look rather than having wires all over the place in disarray. Check pics for my set-up...

Attached Thumbnails Installed () Daytime Running Lights 2006 G35 Coupe (US)-fog-light-switch-2.jpg   Installed () Daytime Running Lights 2006 G35 Coupe (US)-fogs-only.jpg   Installed () Daytime Running Lights 2006 G35 Coupe (US)-addacircuit.jpg  

Last edited by foreverdr1ft; 01-20-2013 at 01:17 AM. Reason: asdfjkl;