Notices

Got Pulled over last night for illegal lighting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 02:56 PM
THE BATMOBILE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got Pulled over last night for illegal lighting

my time finally came................i knew it was going to happen sooner or later. Stop at a red light and turn around and see a cop in my rear view and i knew it was over. I have Piaa blue LED's in my lisence plate and clear corners. Light turns green and i start going slowly and his lights go on. I pulled over he took my lisence and registration without saying a word and was in his car for like 15 min. His partner walked to the front of my car and was looking at the clear corners and then to the back. Cop comes back and says "I'm going to give you a ticket for illegal lighting and not for you going 70 before, because that would be points on your lisence, however i am giving you 2 $70 tickets (one for the clear corners and the other for the lisence plate". As he is walking back to his car some ricey civic with red street glow flies by going like 75 and the cop didnt do a damn thing. This is CRAP!!! Now i have to get rid of the lights

Old 02-13-2005, 02:51 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
What was the cop supposed to do, drop everything and chase after the Civic? One in the hand is worth two in the bush. Sorry about the ticket.

Old 02-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
If yer gonna dance, you gotta pay the piper

Old 02-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Widdle ya into kindling
Is it illegal to have clear corners? I have them, but the lights are still orange

Old 02-13-2005, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't get rid of the clear corners, but just put the amber bulbs in, then you will be legal.

Old 02-13-2005, 01:48 PM
ya i thought clear corners w/ amber bulbs was ok? can someone verify that?

Old 02-13-2005, 02:00 PM
cleanr corners with white or amber lightsis legal. blue lights on any part of the car is not legal. I've been pulled over 3 times and ahve been lucky enough to get a written warning each time. I also have the PIAA dual LED bulb in my clear side markers and in my clearance lights. I have the blue/white bulbs though. each cop wwho's pulled me over has said I can only have white or amber. if I get a ticket, I'll put the clear bulbs in, get it dismissed, then put my blue/whites back in.

Old 02-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought you could have corners colored bluish? You stil have the amber ones inside the headlight!

Old 02-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Clear corners are illegal regardless of the bulb inside (in Cali). The side markers must reflect amber, that means an amber lense. If you have an amber bulb and your lights are on I doubt a cop would notice.

Old 02-13-2005, 07:38 PM
THE BATMOBILE
i know clear corners illegal and that only white and amber lighting was legal.............but come on it looked tite, but i guess ill jst have to get some piaa whites.

Old 02-18-2005, 02:41 AM
It's Lonely At The Bottom
FVMSS 108-

In North America the following colors are mandatory:

headlamps: white
front parking lamps: amber or white (must be the same color on both sides)
front turn signal lamps: amber
front side marker lamps: amber
front side reflex reflectors: amber
rear side reflex reflectors: red
rear side marker lamps: red
rear turn signal lamps: amber or red (must be the same color on both sides)
rear stop lamps: red
tail lamps: red
backup lamps: white
license plate lamps: white

Old 02-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Uniform Traffic Laws are govered at a state level you need to check your individual state for their requirements.

As far as Florida is concerned clear side markers are fine as long as you have amber bulbs.

The 2004 Florida Statutes

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL View Entire Chapter

316.224 Color of clearance lamps, identification lamps, side marker lamps, backup lamps, reflectors, and deceleration lights.--

(1) Front clearance lamps, identification lamps, and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.

(2) Rear clearance lamps, identification lamps, and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color.

(3) All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle shall display or reflect a red color, except the stop light or other signal device, which may be red, amber, or yellow, and except that the light illuminating the license plate shall be white and the light emitted by a backup lamp shall be white or amber. Deceleration lights as authorized by s. 316.235(5) shall display an amber color.

Old 03-01-2005, 03:37 AM
kei
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is the laws for California from the CHP web site for lighting (http://www.chp.ca.gov//html/streetlegal.html)

BOLD = Illegal
* Blue and yellow headlights. Headlights must be white - blue and yellow are illegal (24011 VC). Look for the DOT symbol on the bulb and package.
* Headlights brighter or higher wattage than those from the factory. You may be able to see better, but the lights are illegal (24011 VC).
* Tail lights other than red (24600 VC).
* Illegal brake lights. Brake lights on vehicles newer than 1979 must be red (24603 VC). (Vehicles older than 1979 may be red or yellow.)
* Lack of rear reflectors. Two red reflectors are required on the rear of cars and trucks (24607 VC).
* Incorrect color of turn signal. It must be white or yellow to the front, red or yellow to the rear (24953 VC).
* Red lights to the front. They are illegal except on emergency vehicles (24003 VC).
* Tail lights that incorporate a bulb with a red tint or coating. In general, custom tail lights that incorporate a clear outer shell and red inner lens are legal (24011 VC). If they don't incorporate reflectors, they must be added to the vehicle (24607 VC).
* Tail lights that are too dim, washed out or show yellow, white or other colors (24600 VC).
* Illegal color of side marker lights. If present, must be yellow in the front and red in the rear (25106, 24003 VC).
* Driving with just parking lights on (24800 VC). Vehicles that have factory-installed automatic daytime running lights must meet federal requirements and are legal.
* Illegal decorative lights (24003 VC). All flashing decorative lights are illegal (25250 VC).
* Illegal windshield washer nozzle lights. Only white or yellow are allowed. (25106 VC, 24003 VC).

Last edited by kei; 03-01-2005 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:07 AM
How does your definition section define "Yellow"? If it is the color the rest of the world knows then every car manufactured today with amber side markers violates the law... But at least the white ones are good.

Old 03-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Cmon Son!
This is some good information guys. thanks for all of this.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got Pulled over last night for illegal lighting