Notices

Headlights changing colour

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 05:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights changing colour

I own a 2005 G35x with HID bulbs up top and halogens in the bottom. I replaced the halogens with an 6000k LED kit. When running both the HIDs and LEDs they will swap colours almost after a minute or two of warming up. The HIDs had a hint of blue before I installed the LEDs but now they sometimes either have a hint on purple or orange.

Do I need to up my fuse? I went with lower wattage LED bulb. It should be drawing less power if anything.

Thanks

Old 11-26-2016, 10:05 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mFinora
I own a 2005 G35x with HID bulbs up top and halogens in the bottom. I replaced the halogens with an 6000k LED kit. When running both the HIDs and LEDs they will swap colours almost after a minute or two of warming up. The HIDs had a hint of blue before I installed the LEDs but now they sometimes either have a hint on purple or orange.

Do I need to up my fuse? I went with lower wattage LED bulb. It should be drawing less power if anything.

Thanks
Becareful not to just raise the amp of the fuse.. you may run into a world of hurt and fire. Could be that the ballast are underperfoming. Are the LEDs tapped into the same wiring of the HIDs? If so, try getting a wire harness for the LEDs and run them directly off the battery.

Cheers.

Old 11-26-2016, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Alright.

First, remove the LED bulbs as they are not suitable for headlight bulbs YET in reflector housings for the same reason HID bulbs don't work in stock reflector housings.

Go back to halogen, or retrofit an LED PROJECTOR or HID PROJECTOR to get appropriate light (read more at HID Planet).

Next, one of your ballasts or bulbs is failing from the OEM. Pull the headlights off the car and swap the bulbs, OR the ballast. If the problem switches sides, the side with the bad COLOR is the side with the bad ballast or bulb. Understand?

Theretrofitsource.com is a good resource for used OEM ballasts at very low prices. Look on their closeout section for Matsushita ballasts, gen 3/4/5 as that is what our cars use!

Edit: Never up a fuse for more "power" without changing the wiring. The fuse is there to protect the wiring and your battery. Just popping in a higher fuse risk major electrical failure.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I swapped in another bulb and it solved the problem. Although I plan to go with projectors and hard wiring the LEDs.

I lost my DRL as well when I installed the LED kit. Operating voltage is 9V-36V. Is there a way to up the DRL voltage to 9V? Any idea?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.