Notices

How to Black Out Taillights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Black Out Taillights

What are different ways to blackout the rear tailights on a coupe? Which is most reliable, easiest, cheapest, reversible, etc.? Which lets the most light through? also, does anyone know if this is legal in CA? Please include as much detail as possible, especially prices. Thanx ahead of time.

Old 05-27-2005, 08:29 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
I am also planning on smoking out my tail lights. My friend told me about blue bat mobile overlays and his look sick. The place i got my windows tinted will put them on for free. I heard that there is a spray you could buy, but i dont know if it is permanent. GoodLuck.

Old 05-27-2005, 10:19 AM
THE BATMOBILE
most reliable would be www.bluebatmobile.com

check out the site for prices.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Official Sponsor of the Florida G35 Club
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Bat™

Old 05-27-2005, 04:36 PM
I've been around in the car scene for quite some time... I've seen all the different kinds of tint sprays out there. Out of all the options, I'd have to say that Bat's overlays are, by far, the best choice! I've seen them in person... in all the different kinds he has them in. They are VERY nice! The only thing that it doesnt have, is the glossiness. If you spray your tails, its really glossy and smooth. The overlays are shiny, but theres a very slight vinyl texture. Other than that, they're perfect I would recomend these over all tint sprays!

Old 05-28-2005, 05:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Another vote for Bats overlays here

Old 05-28-2005, 05:56 AM
wow, seems like i gotta go with bat's. So what do you spray them with to make them glossy? And who do you get to install them, i'm in west LA. And what does it usually cost to install them? I am thinking the 3/10th full smoke, but some of the gtr's look kinda cool. I would like 6/10th but that might attract a little too much attention from cops?

anyone that has them, would you care to post any tips or things to think about that you encountered. I am especially interested in hearing from someone that has had them for a long time. I read on another thread about someone needing to re-order after some time? - i could be wrong. Anyway, thanx in advance.

Old 05-28-2005, 10:11 AM
I'll be a contrarian, one of the people at the office got some of the cheap overlays and tossed them after getting them. Went with some premium versions instead. He got what he paid for... I wouldn't paint them as in most states there is a specific line about paint not allowed. Good Luck

Old 05-29-2005, 11:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I got to admit......I love the way my gtr rears look but........they were a b!tch to put on. It is basicly like working with tint but you have to do some extreme angles with flat film (try wraping your tail light with a piece of paper or tape first to understand), best way to get the angles is to use a hair dryer(not a heat gun) and slightly shrink parts of the overlay to fit an align. You use a soap solution under the overlay so you can position it properly prior to shrinking. Then you squeegee the solution out (wrap squeegee in micro-fiber or terry cloth), and make sure to get out any air bubbles. By the time your done.......you most likely have created a few new curse words but will enjoy what it looks like. Here's the end result.

Attached Thumbnails How to Black Out Taillights-gtr-gizsf.jpg  
Old 05-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a b|tch and a half to put on I agree. I'm also a firm believer in not messing with the taillights. IMO they are perfect the way they are and you shouldn't do it.

Old 05-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Twins are Always Better
I used the tint spray - its pretty good, you have to be a perfectionist though when taping around the reverse lights and such. The part that I like the most is i can always go darker b/c its done on the outside and finished off with a couple good buffings. No, its not permanent, but when it comes to my baby, the word permanent makes me hesitate!

Old 05-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin
wow, seems like i gotta go with bat's. So what do you spray them with to make them glossy? And who do you get to install them, i'm in west LA. And what does it usually cost to install them? I am thinking the 3/10th full smoke, but some of the gtr's look kinda cool. I would like 6/10th but that might attract a little too much attention from cops?

anyone that has them, would you care to post any tips or things to think about that you encountered. I am especially interested in hearing from someone that has had them for a long time. I read on another thread about someone needing to re-order after some time? - i could be wrong. Anyway, thanx in advance.
I was thinking about getting the 3/10 too, but its really not too noticeable. The 6/10 with the cut outs are perfect, imo. I've seen them in person on several cars at the G35 meets in So Cal / Chino Hills. Cops wont say anything because the cutouts dont cover the lighting area. Also, the G uses LEDs, which are REALLY bright, and they shine through just fine.

You can put it on yourself, or have any tint shop put it on for you.

Old 05-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Official Sponsor of the Florida G35 Club
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
You can also wax my Overlays and get them really glossy, I've done it !

Bat™

Old 12-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Hey
I live in SoCal (Santa Monica) and just bought a 2003 sedan, if u got this worked out, i'd love to kno wat u did (i assume u went with the bats) and where u got them put on.
Thx

Old 12-04-2008, 12:36 AM
ON
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
wow...old thread.

Check out Bluebat's site for overlays for your sedan.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y42...an%20Overlays/

95% of people on this forum who tinted their taillights have gone with overlays from blue bat.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to Black Out Taillights