2006 6MT Coupe at VIR 5/31/15

Old 06-12-2015, 09:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
G35 6MT Coupe
2006 6MT Coupe at VIR 5/31/15

I posted this on the "General Media/G-spot" but its probably more relevant here

Enjoy....
I had someone else filming, too so I sync'd and combined the video where possible.

=1st half of it has music
=2nd half is just wind/engine
=Skip the first 30sec if you dont want to see what's leaving the pit
=M3 with blown engine stuck on track around 9:45

My car:
2006 G35 Coupe 6MT

Mods:
MREV2
5/16" ISO Spacer

Equipment:
All-Season tires (stock size on OEM 19's)
EBC Yellowstuff pads/brembo vented rotors (Front)
EBC Redstuff pads/brembo vented rotors (rear)
Motul 600 Synthetic Brake Fluid in brake/clutch

Comments:

Brake Pads:
I started off with Redstuff pads all around (my street set up). They were fine for about 2 laps and then they got too hot and faded. I was worried I hadnt bled the brakes well enough (I had flushed the system the day before), but as soon as I put on the yellows everything was wonderful. They didnt fade at all the whole weekend and had more bite. The yellows are semi metallic though and dirty up the wheels so I switched back to the reds after the event. I didnt bother with the rears, I may buy a set for next time though.

VDC:
Should go without saying, but leaving this on is ridiculous on the track, the car is very stable and easy to control without it. (What does this turn off/leave on?? TC?).

Track:
On a good lap I was hitting 125mph on both the front and back straights and 110mph on the uphill esses.

Video Link here:
https://vimeo.com/129858919

Last edited by tha_ape; 06-14-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
You'll want to completely disable the VDC system as it will impede your track driving. You need to disable the YAW sensor last I checked to completely disable it... Urban.

Old 06-14-2015, 01:10 AM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
You'll want to completely disable the VDC system as it will impede your track driving. You need to disable the YAW sensor last I checked to completely disable it... Urban.
don't start putting your name after your posts like Gary

Taylor

The following users liked this post:
ThatOneDude (06-15-2015)
Old 06-14-2015, 05:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
G35 6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer

Well turning off the VDC will let the car get sideways, do I need to physically unplug it (under center armrest)?

Is there a way to fully disable traction control? I think thats what the issue was. I feel like that little "Slip" light would flash, but I could be mistaken, I was watching the course more than the gauges (especially if/when the light was flashing).

Old 06-14-2015, 07:47 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by tha_ape
Well turning off the VDC will let the car get sideways, do I need to physically unplug it (under center armrest)?

Is there a way to fully disable traction control? I think thats what the issue was. I feel like that little "Slip" light would flash, but I could be mistaken, I was watching the course more than the gauges (especially if/when the light was flashing).
There is a DIY here, basically you just have to install a single pole/single throw switch on the wire going to yaw sensor under the the arm rest. It will fully disable the VDC.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:50 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Found it

Install Time - < 1 Hour

Tools / Parts Required:
- Screwdriver, phillips
- Wire. 16-18 gauge should be fine
- Switch of some sort. Something that either opens and closes a loop. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search
- Wire cutters
- Crimpers and crimp connections for the switch
- Solder, Soldering Gun
- Electrical tape

Nice to have:
- Extra wire loom
- Flashlight
- heat shrink

1. Remove center console. Open the ashtray and pry on the trim around the shifter.*
2. Remove the two screws near the cupholder. Remove cupholder.*
3. Remove trim around tape/cd deck by prying on it carefully.*
4. Remove 2 screws behind tape/cd deck trim piece that holds the ashtray. Remove ashtray.*
5. Remove 4 screws around rubberized trim piece. Remove trim piece.*
6. Remove 2 screws at the rear of the shifter, on the trim piece. This allows the metal brace to be removed.*
7. Under the duct for the aircon system for the rear vents is the Yaw Sensor. On it, it's labeled "Do Not Drop". That's what we want. How I got access to it was by yanking on the duct, bending it slightly, removing the 2 10mm nuts, and then pulling the sensor, with wiring, as far as I could. This allowed me to remove the wiring connection.
8. Looking at the wiring connection, you are looking for an Orange wire. On my 2003 M45, it was on the bottom, in the middle... slot 2.
9. Leaving some slack on the wire near the connector, cut this wire.
10. Strip the factory wires and solder extensions to those wires. Use heat shrink tubing to cover the new connections. The new wires should be long enough to go to a switch that you can place wherever you'd like. I put mine in the armrest with my Ipod connection.
11. Connect the wires to the switch.
12. Turn the car to the on position and see if your SLIP and VDC light is on or off. If they are BOTH ON, that means the switch is in the OPEN position and that the Traction Control and VDC is disabled. Your display will also indicated that VDC is disabled. If you see your ABS light is on, you got the wrong wire. Turn the car off, flip the switch to the other position. Turn the car back to the on position. BOTH SLIP and VDC should turn off. If not, you got the wrong wire or the switch isn't set properly. With the switch in the CLOSED position (VDC and Slip lights are off), your car will function like normal... you can use your VDC OEM button to disable VDC if you'd like.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhosUrBuddiee:
tha_ape (06-14-2015), Urbanengineer (06-14-2015)