the $4800 6mt Craigslist Coupe... uhhh...build?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 06:15 PM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
yeaaa.. probably should put this one out in general population where someone will see it.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:18 PM
back to the program.. Seymore4 emailed me a new generic tune to upload and run DLs again. Just did the runs and a buddy is chopping up the logs into the files I need right now. Even the new base tune is so much better.. not choking on gas fumes.

I just refilled the tank this morning, and despite the richness of the exhaust and all the fumes and hard pulls I was doing last night, I still had 19.25mpg on this tank.

About to improve yet again!!

Stay Tuned

The following users liked this post:
seymore4 (03-03-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 07:19 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,458 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Originally Posted by epik
stay tuned
i see what you did there!

Old 02-13-2018, 04:44 PM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
One owner 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
While I enjoy reading about what you're doing to your G, I'm just as curious to see what happens if you do end up getting a Carrera. I've been throwing around a 997 (or maybe 991) purchase myself. Are you on Rennlist or Planet-9?

Old 02-14-2018, 09:41 AM
Hey Mike, well the current plan.. at least in the wife's eyes.. is that once I get the 911 I sell the G35. Now I already have it for sale at a price that it's actually worth in performance dollars, but that, deep down I know very few will pay. I renew the Craigslist ad for $9999.00 every few days and make it a point to show her. So, it's safe. For now. My main problem is that my driveway is filling fast. My very longterm outlaw 944 build occupies one stationary spot, then her suv, my g35 and the incomer 911 will make it difficult...and remind her that I still have one too many cars..

Ultimately, I'm getting into a 996 so cheaply..for well maintained, well optioned cars.. that I'll swing keeping both. I really want to take this whole GT35RS project to a finish and then drive and enjoy it. It's already much faster than anything other than a well tuned on 996 anyway.

I'm dying to get it on a track after it felt so tight at the Dragon. I'll definitely put some good rubber on it for the next run. Now that the suspension is completely refreshed with no tire wear other than the rears.. and that's all my fault. I'll start shopping tires as soon as I paint it, find the right seats and maybe swap the FD. I really want the snappier acceleration on a differential ring and pinion. I need to research whats out there, not sure I want to go all 4.08s..maybe 3.8 or so if available. When I am finally finished... just show it off, and drive the tires off of it. Every other day.

I wish I had Macan, 991 or even 997 options.. I'm a 996 guy for now, unless I can swing this 1985 Carrera that a surgeon I know has sitting in his driveway...wasting away.. may have to call him..

Not on RL but I've cruised there. I'll check out Planet 9. I'll be driving the 996 for a bit first to get it figured out, then tuning on it. Some of the cars I'm looking at though are well tuned suspension wise, exhausts, headers.. etc and some are just stock, low mileage cars with all the maintenance. I don't know where I'll land but I'm enjoying the ride to find my first 911.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:44 AM
on the GT35RS front, I emailed the latest datalogs to Seymore4 this morning for my final e-tune. should be able to upload this afternoon when I wake up, then get my son to soccer practice quicker and using less fuel.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:04 AM
Uploaded the final e-tune. Butt dyno says that the rev is smoother, and it feels like more torque in the bottom end a bit. I'll log a few runs to get the final tweak and that should be it. Putting about 200 miles on it in the morning to go to Wilmington, NC and drive a well kept 996 with some GT3 bits and a rare OEM LSD.

This one may be the one.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:01 PM
Hehehehe....

GT35RShas a new sister.
1999 911 Carrera 2. Factory GT3 wheels, GT3 race decklid, Factory aero, Bilstein shocks, not sure on the springs..researching. But a functional height and still lower than normal. FabSpeed stainless (loud) exhaust.
Rare Factory ordered LSD, (lighter) non powered seats.. this car was a runner from the start. Drives so tight.. not a squeak or rattle.
I'm going to handle it like I did the G35. I put new plugs in her today, and ran some Seafoam thru it. Then I went and drove the h3LL out of her. Smoother idle now
I'm pretty sure I'll design an exhaust for this car as well, I really loved hearing the
GT35RS off in the distance ripping thru the gears when I let a buddy take a spin earlier. The exhaust is so smooth in the higher R's.. this Porsche is very ..chunky.

pics coming.. got to send from my phone

1st job..new plugs. Thank my granddaddy (RIP) again for this excellent extension.

Last edited by EPiK; 02-16-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:32 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Congrats man, glad you found the one you wanted.

EPiK (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 11:33 PM
on the G front.. the new Seymore4 UpRev tune is killer.

The GT35RS rolls out like a CHAMP. Throttle response is so quick, it's interesting driving with aluminum pulleys, lightweight flywheel, and aluminum driveshaft..so quick thru the revs. To me it fits the theme of the car perfectly for what I wanted.. exotic mimicking sound.

No more stinky idle or richness on decel (unless I want it for the flames...lol) but she just drives like a different car, such little effort needed to go fast, and already getting better mileage. I'll have to make a vid of just leaving a light and accelerating to 60.. roll out first slowly, pop to 2nd and roll out.. 60. I'd get even better mileage driving more..sedately.. but it Sounds So Good though.

seymore4 (03-03-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 02:42 PM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
One owner 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
Congrats! The aero kit is a huge improvement on the looks of the 996.1, IMO. How many miles are on it? Any plans for the IMS bearing or has it already been done?

Old 02-20-2018, 12:46 AM
Thanks Mike. The IMS, RMS and clutch are all replaced and documented. Miles are advanced, but the car is maintained with some unique pieces, and the interior is near perfect condition. I think one of the previous owners had a GT3 hard on like I do... it's got the Aero, rear decklid, and wheels equipped with Falken Azenis. This is a factory LSD equipped car too, and that's about it for the add-ons. Bilstein shocks and I haven't figured out which springs are on there yet, round out the mods, unless you count the Fabspeed muffler bypass, which is supposed to give the same sound as a GT3 Supercup.. personally I think I can improve on the exhaust, although it does get the looks...I'm sure a P guy will buy the Fabspeed tips and I will buy the Borlas and bends I need to make my own.

I plan to dyno the 996 as I bought it to get a baseline before I start tweaking it, at the same time as I dyno the G35 to find out how much the final tune cleaned it up.

I got a great deal though, and don't regret it at all. I took it on a 250 mile round trip Saturday and it was flawless (if not loud) cruising. For comparison, we took the G35 Sunday on the same route.

Its really strange that the car with the stage 3 clutch, lightweight flywheel and aluminum driveshaft, intake , headers and full custom exhaust..is the more refined, quieter vehicle.. The GT35RS is a simple joy to drive. Effortless, and the exhaust sounds like a sewing machine compared to a 911 with tips and cats only.

Its going to be a fun ride for sure

Old 03-03-2018, 12:59 AM
Obviously I have been busy spending time with my new girl. But I did manage to pick up a rare upgrade for the G. Sarona Designs side skirts.. https://g35driver.com/forums/exterio...de-skirts.html

I think they'll suit the theme well. They are pearl white and have a few knicks, but I'm good with the condition since its a color change anyway, and the car will need a good few touchups and dings removed. Not sure yet if I'll do it myself or find the right deal with bodywork included.

Driving impressions back to back in the 911 to project GT35RS are significant differences. First thing I noticed is that the 911 feels like you put it on.. or you climb into it. The G in comparison feels like it rides so high.. you ride on it, not in it. Seats will be the next thing to go in. Mounted as low as possible for clearance of the sunroof, I don't need it at 5'10", but to accommodate guest drivers. I value skilled driver's input in building my car too.

The shift in the 911 is so long, the stock shifter in the G feels notchy and like just a snick into gear. Also the clutch takeup in the G is immediate. There is instant throttle response in the G with Seymore4s UpRev final tune. But it also has a lightweight flywheel and driveshaft, and pulleys..etc.. The 911 feels lazy in comparison, but it gets there quickly too.. sneaks up on you how fast that car can get to over 70mph...

I wanted to dyno the 911 in as I bought it condition, just to get a good baseline..buutttt.. I'm known to be impatient. Today I tore the stock cats and FabSpeed muffler bypass system off the 911 and built a new catless system using a Borla Pro XS muffler and re using the trimmed down tips. Almost finished, just needs some tweaking and final paint and polish. I'm not going to clog this thread with Porsche stuff, but here's about a 6 hour before and after fabbing the new system. I haven't started it yet.. tomorrow afternoon should be screaming.

Updates on the G will be few going forward until I gain some balance on building 2 cars at the same time. Good thing is, the G is reliable and a perfect trade off. The 911 is the tweaker now. When the final mods are installed to the GT35RS and the paint is laid I think I'm going to do a condensed final project post from beginning to end, then ride with it, track it, and love it til somebody pays for it and takes it away to enjoy.

Stay Tuned as always.. if you want to follow more updates on both cars my Instagram is original_epik

Last edited by EPiK; 03-03-2018 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
911 is NA?

Sarona, meh... but your car could pull it off .

Regardless thanks for posting, always exciting to see updates.

EPiK (03-05-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 01:28 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Wow those headers are REALLY close to the rear tires You plan on wrapping them or anything?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: the $4800 6mt Craigslist Coupe... uhhh...build?