Project G35: Japan to Scotland

Old 01-22-2019, 05:33 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
G coupe
Project G35: Japan to Scotland

Hopefully I’ve got this in the right section....

Hi folks. Been plugging away at this over the past year or so. Progress has been slow as this is a weekend car. My previous two projects were daily drivers, a 350Z then an R33 Skyline. With a more sensible daily I needed another toy in my life and decided on the fairest compromise of my last two- a Skyline 350GT, complete with Infiniti badges just to confuse everyone over here, not many around

Old 01-22-2019, 05:39 PM
G coupe
5AT, red with black leather/suede interior. When it came it already had some mods done, but not all to my taste

Ings front lip
Kakimoto exhaust
Upgraded Brembo kit
Lip spoiler
19” Firenze wheels
Aftermarket headlights
*** touch screen double din
Horrible red mats

Old 01-22-2019, 05:43 PM
G coupe
That’s what I saw of her before bidding on the Japanese auction. After around 3 months she had made it to her new home

Old 01-23-2019, 06:09 AM
G coupe
Old 01-23-2019, 06:22 AM
G coupe
So the first thing I had done was get it I got a full service and inspection before registering it. Generally good condition, rust free

All fluids sorted etc, rocker cover gasket was leaking so repaired, some of the ball joints were replaced

It came with coilovers which were in a bad way and the camber arms were knocking, went for new tein street basis coilovers and cusco arms. Passed its inspection

Was never a fan of the wheels, narrow, poor offsets, and a hate black wheels. Had these lying around so fitted them as temp wheels, sold the Firenze wheels and started sourcing some replacements

At that point brought it home but then the white stuff appeared but she was happy in her new home

Old 01-23-2019, 06:31 AM
G coupe
First thing I did was throw the mats in the bin (trash...sorry I’ll try and talk in ‘Murican when I remember lol)

No idea what they were thinking... Found some eBay specials, not the best quality but a million times better

Old 01-23-2019, 06:35 AM
G coupe

Much better!

I’ll apologise (wait....apologize....no apologise- you guys are wrong on that one) in advance for the separate posts, when I add images with text in between it puts them in the wrong order

Old 01-23-2019, 06:40 AM
G coupe

Next up was the headlights. Never been a fan of the eyebrows, not sure what you guys call them? There was also some carbon vinyl under the lights, looked like make up....wtf? Had that removed as well

Old 01-23-2019, 06:51 AM
G coupe
Not long after that I had an overheating issue. Turns out fans had seized so found some replacements from a friend on the Z forum. There was also a leak in the radiator, was spraying coolant whacky races style. Ordered a new Koyo rad had it fitted

Back to the mods. Was never a fan of the grille, was painted in grey with a rainbow pearl, surely that’s not factory? Removed it and painted it satin black. Went over the badge with a different black but not happy with it, will change this down the line

Also fitted a DC Sports intake and cleaned up the engine bay

Starting to look the way it should

The following users liked this post:
Gphour (06-27-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:59 AM
G coupe
Next was, you guessed it, the orange lenses. I found some black ones online but like with most of these parts that aren’t shared with Zs, they’re not in the UK. Shipping was more than the parts

Had some tint spray lying around so masked a small rectangle over the bulb and darkened them. This was meant to be a temporary measure but it’s actually grown on me

Old 01-23-2019, 07:12 AM
G coupe
It’s amazing how such small improvements change the look of a car

I also debadged the rear. The emblem being too high was not good for my OCD. May put the Fuji back on in the future, will see

Next was the wheels. Rims, sorry, rims...

Weren’t my first choice but being on a budget with 2 other cars to maintain, I found these on the Z forum for a good price. They were satin black, and even with my red/black theme, I hate black rims. Went for gunmetal instead, still keeps with the theme but without losing the detail of the wheels

Theyre Volk GTS reps, offsets a bit weak, especially for the standards in the states, but will get spacers put on

Also had the bodyshop paint the calipers. They did them by hand, again temp measure, I HATED the yellow. Colour options were limited and gloss only. Went for red with black decals

In future I might go blue-purple metallic but quite liking the red so far

Old 01-23-2019, 07:31 AM
G coupe
Forgot to add, when it as still in Japan we assumed the brembos were standard but they’re bigger, possibly from an evo

Next was some detailing as we had a show coming up. It has some swirls and scratches, will start the correction this year but happy with the results so far

The following users liked this post:
G35fromPA (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 07:40 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Very nice, welcome. For me I'm excited when a new member from another country joins us, it's always cool to see what you crazy kids do over there.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:12 AM
G coupe

From what I’ve seem our car modifying culture isn’t as big as yours. Most guys who modify here do so to older cars, you guys start rocket bunnying cars before they’re even released here! And you spend a lot more on modifying in general than us

I think it’s less common over the past 10 years here too, getting a cheap lease deal on something that outperforms these cars is the easy option. Without the cost of maintenance etc

I see less projects on the road now than I used to. Most that I do see, including mine, are weekend toys

Never been to the states myself but would love to see the car culture in person

And the photos you guys can churn out, with your clear blue skies and flawless tarmac.... so jealous lol

Old 01-23-2019, 12:32 PM
G coupe
Next was more maintenance- car started cutting out, no EML light for a while, cleaned the maf, better for a while then worse. Eventually EML came on, was a camshaft position sensor. Genuine bought from Nissan, warning light gone

Then had the exhaust changed a bit. Loved how it sounded but just a bit quiet. Spoke to the exhaust guys who said try removing the silencer. Definitely louder but too raspy for me now. Will see what way to go soon

While it was up he snapped a photo for me, really happy at how clean it is underneath. Was undersealed when it first came in due to the UKs use of salt/grit in winter

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Project G35: Japan to Scotland