custom exhaust build

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 04:09 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
custom exhaust build

well i decided to give building my own exhaust a try. cant be that hard right? haha. ordered everything from summitracing.com and ebay. its going to be a true dual exhaust from the cats all the way back. for right now i will be running stock cats.

parts ordered...

-xpipe that is actually meant for a mustang so it will need to be modified just a little but thats not a problem

two 48'' 16g pipes
four 45* elbows
two magnaflow universal mufflers
various flanges and clamps

so far i have some of the clamps, the 45* elbows and the straight pipe. the rest will be here by friday. i am also picking up a tube bender sometime in the next couple of days as well.

disclaimer - YES i can weld. and the clamps are strictly for mockup purposes.

there isnt really much to post up yet since i dont have everything yet but this is going to be my progress thread for it. so stay tuned

Last edited by kennymo; 03-02-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Should be a fun adventure.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Right on subscribed for updates

Old 03-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
What ID size piping?

You may want to install a mid-pipe section. If not you'll get drone from hell at highway speeds.

I have a FULL Custom made by myself exhaust. and I've gone through 6 or 7 setups. If I can ever shine some light for you lmk.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Why not just buy an exhaust that has been professionally designed to maximize flow and has proven gains than just randomply claming random ebay parts together and ultimatly wasting you time and money ?

I am all about custom parts and have made several for my cars. But that is only when a suitable part doesnt already exist. But there are already several proven exhausts on the martket that acomplish exactly what you are trying to do.

Plus can you even weld? How do you expect to attach the exhaust flange to the headers or cats?

Old 03-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I hope you have a rack because it's going to be a major pain in the rear to custom make an exhaust on a car on jacks.

If I were to do my own, I'd at the very least buy an aftermarket Y and mod that.

Also any tube bender you're going to buy is just going to be a crush bend type. Not a mandrel bender.

I've built custom exhausts for my maxima and it was made from new/existing parts. It was big pain. Butt fit welding pipes isn't the easiest thing to do.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
x2 with the above two posts.

But WhosurBud, innovation comes from trying different things. So perhaps he can reach something that we all have not because of whatever variable may have been looked over.

I tried various setups but always stayed within the ideology of Nissan's preliminary design.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Looking forward to this. Can't wait to do my custom exhaust, but I need a custom rear bumper first

Old 03-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric@TCGMiami
x2 with the above two posts.

But WhosurBud, innovation comes from trying different things. So perhaps he can reach something that we all have not because of whatever variable may have been looked over.

I tried various setups but always stayed within the ideology of Nissan's preliminary design.
I agree. It is why I have many custom parts.

But in this case he is not innovating anything, he plans on just building a dual exhaust with an x pipe, which has been done several times by several companies.

Plus he is not even doing the work correctly. Seems to have no plans or ability to weld (good chance of having exhaust leaks) and is going to use a tube bender and crush the pipes. Then toping it all off with acouple cheap magnaflow canisters that he will have no ability to even hang without the ability to weld.

This just screams imminent fail all over it. If he finishes this with decent quality and dynos it with even adequate gains, I will paypal him 100 dollars for provign me wrong.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Red Card Crew

Custom modding my Borla dual with resonated X pipe is probably the extent of the gains available for that cat back.

I'd be cheaper to buy an used Borla (2.25") and mod that or Stillen (2.5") and be done with it. If anything play with the mufflers.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:10 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
Looking forward to this

Old 03-02-2011, 03:19 PM
JBF
Received 686 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
But in this case he is not innovating anything, he plans on just building a dual exhaust with an x pipe, which has been done several times by several companies.
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Why not just buy an exhaust that has been professionally designed to maximize flow and has proven gains than just randomply claming random ebay parts together and ultimatly wasting you time and money
Maybe he isn't looking for performance gains. Some just want the aesthetics of things and perhaps he just wants sound...

Old 03-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Red Card Crew

Note. Borla uses the same wide band clamps. BUT, they also use slip fit joints. Don't even think about joining pipes via butting them together and clamping them. Bad idea.

You buy a pipe expander also? One that can actually expand the pipe and just just fix bent tubes? They are expensive

Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by Johnnys_Beast_Foo
Maybe he isn't looking for performance gains. Some just want the aesthetics of things and perhaps he just wants sound...

You know how much that would cost? You don't think he'll be able to nail the sound on the 1st try do you? Try like the 5th or 6th. By then, he would have spend WAY more than just researching for the sound he wants from an existing system.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
who says i cant weld? i can weld just fine. and i dont know how YOU bend your exhaust pipes but its not hard to do without crushing the pipe. do some research and you will figure it out. pack the pipe very tight with wet sand and its pretty damn hard to crush the pipe while bending it. as for attatching the exhaust to the cats. i am using my nismo ypipe and cutting that up to use the flanges so that it will still bolt up to the cats. and im not in a search for some huge gains so i will actually probably not even put the car on a dyno. i am just in search for a new sound. im not quite sure why you jumped into this threading and started hating right off the bat.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: custom exhaust build