Media Share V36 Sedan 2007 +Sedan Pictures

Another Plastidip Wheels Story...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Another Plastidip Wheels Story...

I heard a lot about people on the forums plastidipping just about everything to their wheels, emblems, grills... hell some have even plastidipped their whole car.

So I had some extra time this past weekend and thought might as well try it out myself. I don't have the extra cash right now to get new wheels and I was getting bored with the stock look. Not to mention that I have over 120,000 miles on the car so the wheels have taken quite a beating over the years. Loving the fact that it is completely reversible and will cover up all "my bads", I decided to plastidip the stock 18 inch sport rims a black matte. I then went over it with 2 coats of plastidip glossifier to give it more of a shiny appearance. The whole project took about 6 hours and I think it came out very well. Been about a week and have driven over 500 miles and not a nick on them.

I got all the products from Fonz at dipyourcar.com. Hes a great guy and very experienced with plastidip. If your on the fence about it or got questions, email him. Hes a great resource.

Since I had originally taken these pictures, I have gone over it with another coat of glossifier. What can I say, I like shiny objects.

And oh yea... I also did the trunk lip which you may catch a glimpse of in some of the pics.

Before

After

Old 12-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow... "dipyourcar.com"... I knew someone would make a business out of the whole plastidip craze... Lol

OP, the wheels look great btw...

Old 12-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Exhaust and window trim..... Black..... NOW!!!! Looks good though. How many coats of clear did you do?

Last edited by luger303; 12-24-2011 at 10:25 AM. Reason: !!!!
Old 12-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by luger303
Exhaust and window trim..... Black..... NOW!!!! Looks good though. How many coats of clear did you do?
The pictures show two. I have since then done one more coat. I was going for the black chrome effect and was told more glossifier i use the closer I will get. I was thinking of doing even a 4th coat until I took the car out in the sun. Wheels were sparkling! ... so thought I should stop while im ahead unless i wanted to wear a gold chain and put spinners on.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The clear coating looks good in the pics. I had problems with the clear coating not being very even. I only did 2 coats on one wheel and decided to change it back and leave em all matte black. So did you clear coats do that to you at all? It just seemed like plastidip didn't like the clear for me.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
for wheels, the glossy finish looks great! Well done!

Edit: dipyourcar has gunmetal grey and other colors too! Definitely my next summer project!!!

Old 12-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by luger303
The clear coating looks good in the pics. I had problems with the clear coating not being very even. I only did 2 coats on one wheel and decided to change it back and leave em all matte black. So did you clear coats do that to you at all? It just seemed like plastidip didn't like the clear for me.
Well no I didnt really have any problems. The clear coat I bought was called "plastidip glossifer" which is specifically made to stick to plastidip. I didnt want to get any kind of clearcoat and risking it damaging the plastidip. Maybe try the glossifier and see if you have any luck with that. Just spray it on as evenly as you do the plastidip and it should blend in perfectly.

The following users liked this post:
luger303 (12-24-2011)
Old 12-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
Not a fan of black wheels on IP sedans but the paint job looks quite good!

Old 12-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Received 127 Likes on 117 Posts
Gotta see them in person! Pictures are bad quality! The tires just disappear! Need more lighting!

Old 12-24-2011, 11:33 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Car looks good! You guys have a TL to?

Old 12-25-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by mishmosh
for wheels, the glossy finish looks great! Well done!

Edit: dipyourcar has gunmetal grey and other colors too! Definitely my next summer project!!!
Thanks man. The gunmetal grey must be something new. He didnt have that on there when I purchased my cans. It looks like it comes in a 11 ounce non spray bottle. Got to buy a spray can separately. I will definitely look into this once I get bored with this look. Gunmetal on IP...hmm sexy.

Originally Posted by rvanderwerf
Not a fan of black wheels on IP sedans but the paint job looks quite good!
Thanks dude. I would have loved it to be a little lighter myself but didnt have the options at the time with plastidip.

Originally Posted by salvador312
Gotta see them in person! Pictures are bad quality! The tires just disappear! Need more lighting!
Haha turn up your monitor brightness bro! Ha just playin. It was a very cloudy day when I took the pics. When I get some extra time, I will take some when the sun is out so you can see them sparkleeee.

Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
Car looks good! You guys have a TL to?
Ya its my wifes ride. Very smooth ride but it doesnt have the kick the G has. I love the bluetooth audio on it though. I play the myheartradio app on my cell phone right through the TL's speakers.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
they came out great! well done!

Old 12-27-2011, 06:57 AM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
the car has 120k miles.....still looks clean to me.

Nice job on the wheels

Old 12-28-2011, 01:11 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
ya, I'd say an improvement over the stock color plus it will hide some wear/tear blemishes you accumulated over the years. Man, you need to drop that thing...

Old 12-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Clear coat

Originally Posted by TaBzRx
Well no I didnt really have any problems. The clear coat I bought was called "plastidip glossifer" which is specifically made to stick to plastidip. I didnt want to get any kind of clearcoat and risking it damaging the plastidip. Maybe try the glossifier and see if you have any luck with that. Just spray it on as evenly as you do the plastidip and it should blend in perfectly.
when applying the plasti dip clear coat do you want to do that right after you spray your final coat of black? Like when the paint is still wet?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another Plastidip Wheels Story...