Media Share V36 Sedan 2007 +Sedan Pictures

Matte or gloss?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Matte or gloss?

Neither

Figured i'd try out black shadow chrome. It's... different, to say the least. Don't expect to get a real black chrome effect out of this, but it's nice in its own way.

Also, haste definitely makes waste. I was pressed for time, rushed through a couple of things and it shows up close . I don't usually speed through a project, i chalk it up to not thinking straight because of a bug.

Oh well, lesson learned. I have to re-open the driver side lights sometime, i forgot to snap the mount back for the projector assembly. Now i have an AFS error.

By the way, you can bake this for 15 minutes at 195 degrees. Came off in one shot quite easily.

p.s. Taking the projector lens is a big PITA, those screws are almost welded down. No STI-R lenses for this guy.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
wow! I love that color!

The following users liked this post:
soundmike (02-20-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Looks great! i like how you left some chrome on the projector shroud, very professional looking!

soundmike (02-20-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Received 127 Likes on 117 Posts
Looking great!!! Nice touch on the shrouds!

soundmike (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 04:05 AM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
that looks really good! gonna make ur car look even better than it already is!

soundmike (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have plans to replacing the projector lens to the sti-r lens. I never baked headlights before, do you think it is fairly simple to open up the headlights? did you reuse the existing glue to put back the headlights together? or purchase a new bonding glue? any other tips that would be helpful for me in replacing the lens? thanks!

Old 02-20-2012, 02:11 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Looks good Mike!

soundmike (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Very Nice.......

soundmike (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Three metalic looks nice, very glossy and clean finish. Great job

soundmike (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Looks good. In for installed pics. Did you use the DIY?

soundmike (02-20-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Thank you, folks. I wish i had spent more time on this, as they are it's just "okay." For anyone planning on doing this slowly but surely, set aside at least two days *minimum*.

Originally Posted by kool_yaar
Looks great! i like how you left some chrome on the projector shroud, very professional looking!
Thanks! The shroud really worked out well, but i removed the mask off the clearance light "shroud" too early and it lifted in some areas -- it's very obvious up close. Thankfully the combination of black chrome and traditional chrome sort of hides the fact since they're both reflective in nature.

Originally Posted by Lucky_One
I have plans to replacing the projector lens to the sti-r lens. I never baked headlights before, do you think it is fairly simple to open up the headlights? did you reuse the existing glue to put back the headlights together? or purchase a new bonding glue? any other tips that would be helpful for me in replacing the lens? thanks!
Baking headlights is very simple, i've done it on my last car (more times than i care to admit) -- the key is to do it slowly but re-assuringly, especially when prying and pulling apart the case. I used to bake at 225F/15m, but on the G the newer driver side headlight assembly i got had a different approach to mounting the ballast -- i just couldn't detach it, so my only choice was to bake that along with the rest of the assembly. I went with 195 degrees at 16m and the glue was almost like butter when i tried to detach -- very easy.

Funny you ask about the sealant/glue. Upon removing the passenger light, i noticed that a bottom rubber/harness was not attached to the assembly --- there was literally a gaping hole staring back at me, it must've been like that since the lights were replaced under warranty a couple years ago --- i never saw condensation on that headlight, ever.

That said, i re-used what glue was on the assembly. Did not add to it or anything. However, i did bake the headlights after putting it together again. Once at 10, pressed everything together, then again at 5 minutes, then pressed everything back together one more time before cooling and installation.

Now, for the lens. The screws holding the lens mount was pretty much fused to the rest of the projector assembly. I could not remove it even if my life depended on it. The folks on HID forums basically suggested killing the screw and replacing it with new ones. I didn't want to do it for risk of damaging anything else, especially the AFS motors (the projector assembly moves quite easily.)

blnewt (03-02-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by surfjax87
Looks good. In for installed pics. Did you use the DIY?
Thanks, i just referred to a couple old posts on how to remove the headlights and my old notes for replacing the bumper. The headlight assembly itself seemed pretty straightforward up to the point i was faced with the projector assembly with the AFS motor/actuator, which would not come off either.

Actually had to get a right-angle screwdriver to get the shroud off for painting.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
first of all, props for attempting this mod. second of all, props for being original and adding your own unique design. well played my friend...

soundmike (02-21-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
Baking headlights is very simple, i've done it on my last car (more times than i care to admit) -- the key is to do it slowly but re-assuringly, especially when prying and pulling apart the case. I used to bake at 225F/15m, but on the G the newer driver side headlight assembly i got had a different approach to mounting the ballast -- i just couldn't detach it, so my only choice was to bake that along with the rest of the assembly. I went with 195 degrees at 16m and the glue was almost like butter when i tried to detach -- very easy.

Funny you ask about the sealant/glue. Upon removing the passenger light, i noticed that a bottom rubber/harness was not attached to the assembly --- there was literally a gaping hole staring back at me, it must've been like that since the lights were replaced under warranty a couple years ago --- i never saw condensation on that headlight, ever.

That said, i re-used what glue was on the assembly. Did not add to it or anything. However, i did bake the headlights after putting it together again. Once at 10, pressed everything together, then again at 5 minutes, then pressed everything back together one more time before cooling and installation.

Now, for the lens. The screws holding the lens mount was pretty much fused to the rest of the projector assembly. I could not remove it even if my life depended on it. The folks on HID forums basically suggested killing the screw and replacing it with new ones. I didn't want to do it for risk of damaging anything else, especially the AFS motors (the projector assembly moves quite easily.)
alright thanks for the info! i may just go ahead and try it just for the experience. Everything sounds fairly simple and straight forward. i dont have AFS, so maybe ill get lucky and the screws are not fused into the assembly.

Now show me the money...installed pics!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I like it....would love to see pics installed on the car!

soundmike (02-22-2012)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Matte or gloss?