Notices
Media Share Pictures and videos of G35 styling and lighting, categorized by Coupe and Sedan.

Beater G influenced by The Road Warrior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 02:26 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by GringitoLoco
He was a scavenger with practicality in mind. That's really my intent. As I see it, stripping the interior gave Max's character storage and living room. It was also effective in that he had no rear window and moisture when it did eventually rain would not benefit him. I don't quite have that need, other than for hauling junkyard finds (which I tend to do a lot). I'm a scavenger, even at recycling centers. If I find bed-frame along the road, you better believe it's coming home with me. My [monster] rolling welding/fab table was made from total scrap, and it's glorious. As a cheap welder and hobbyist, it's what I do. Without coming across as a garbage hoarder, I find other uses for what people toss. At the same time, though I am capable of fabbing a roof rack, the G doesn't lend itself to bolt on accessories well. I'd rather not drill holes into the side and roof of this thing.
The G coupe just isn't very good for scavenging. You can get a good amount of room by removing the trunk "floor" and spare tire. With the rear seats folded down, there's a nice chunk of storage, my car was loaded up with ~500 lbs of stuff when I had to go to MS for 6 months. The main problem is actually getting things into those spaces: the trunk opening isn't very big, and the seats get in the way of rear access. I could lay a 50" in there with the rear seats down, but couldn't get the thing threw the doors.

I'm sure you're crafty enough to make it work though. Sometimes the best car is the one that you have that's paid for.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LoSt180
The G coupe just isn't very good for scavenging. You can get a good amount of room by removing the trunk "floor" and spare tire. With the rear seats folded down, there's a nice chunk of storage, my car was loaded up with ~500 lbs of stuff when I had to go to MS for 6 months. The main problem is actually getting things into those spaces: the trunk opening isn't very big, and the seats get in the way of rear access. I could lay a 50" in there with the rear seats down, but couldn't get the thing threw the doors.

I'm sure you're crafty enough to make it work though. Sometimes the best car is the one that you have that's paid for.
Don't I know it, but as you pointed out, it's what I have. We'll see what happens with it. I'll post on this thread if I continue to make progress. Thanks guys.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:51 AM
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
A few years back a bunch of buddies and I ventured through some NJ state lands boarding a rock quarry in the Pompton Plains area. It was AWESOME wheeling. Seriously heavy stuff- the first time I actually needed my winch for recovery. You couldn't touch it with a stock Wrangler because of clearance issues alone. Sure enough, we were spotted from a distance and had to go to court. Two police officers (one from each boarding town) had to bail their patrol cars and hike the trails to catch up with us. They weren't happy, but honestly we never crossed a marked road or trail, we didn't think we were trespassing. After 2 court visits the case was thrown and we were warned never to return. After that we got memberships at Rausch Creek in PA, and made that trip a couple weekend trips a year. SOme guys go south to the pine barrens, but that never really interested me.
It sucks here in NJ. Everything about it. The roads are enough to dissuade tuners from dropping their cars (unless you're bagging it), there's no place for the wheelers, the laws stifle a lot of play, the traffic and congestion is the pits.. just gotta get out of here.
I hear you about NJ. I've visited my cousin and some friends there. Some nice areas but the rest isn't anything to write home about. Crappy laws, traffic, roads, etc. Hope you get outta there for some greener pastures.

Cool build btw. I can see the appeal of your simple MadMax G35 build. Its definitely different. Would be interesting to see how you'll take it further in the future. Maybe some wheels and other bits to match the post-apocalyptic look. Remove the back seats if you don't need them so you can have more hauling space. The blue light in the interior is a nice touch. Keep it if you can, just put it out of the way of the airbag.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:41 AM
Premier Member

This looks a little more functional...

Name:  12832405_932028156904706_3374197661637734217_n.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  57.6 KB
Name:  12832376_932028153571373_1994677558884668418_n.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  100.8 KB

Have me looking for a wrecked s-chassis now, lol.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:35 PM
^ I really don't get the point of that, meaning why modify that Z that way when you can just buy a Jeep or truck and modify it. It would cost the same and be more functional.

Looks dumb to me, but I guess you can do whatever you want to your vehicle.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:52 PM
This looks a little more functional...

Have me looking for a wrecked s-chassis now, lol.
Definitely Mad Max styled.. I do light the rack a lot. I may get there! Not crazy about the wheels or missing bumper.. it needs a metal frame bumper or something in there.
As for running this on a dirt track.. awesome! Fender flares would do a lot for this look.

Last edited by GringitoLoco; 04-22-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Justice06RR
^ I really don't get the point of that, meaning why modify that Z that way when you can just buy a Jeep or truck and modify it. It would cost the same and be more functional.

Looks dumb to me, but I guess you can do whatever you want to your vehicle.
Justice, I fully hear and understand your POV, and honestly, I expect 95% of the guys to look at this to shake their heads- that's fine. Some people do things a bit differently, and if nothing else, when someone mentions a pitful looking G, you'll be able to point and say, "Yeah, well at least it ain't as bad as that guy." Haha
Seriously, I get it, though.
I am stripping it further, so it's going to look a lot dumber, no doubt.

For guys who recognize The Road Warrior, I now have an external low fuel light (not the little amber light below the fuel gauge).
I wired together a simple flashing light circuit with a 555 timer, a capacitor, 2 resistors and a super bright red LED, so when my fuel is low it pulses on/off as seen in the video attached. This did involve pulling the dash apart again, tracing two leads and soldering wires to the back of the dash cluster.

Added an external, flashing low fuel light in front of the dash console.
The only thing I don't yet have wired up is a buzzer that corresponds with the pulsing light.

A little work this afternoon:
Stripping...

Not painted, but you're starting to see where I'm headed with this nonsense.
Everything I carry has a purpose, so I'm not just hauling a bunch of junk (the exception is the blue light, which I explained earlier). It's hard to see, but I used some galvanized mesh chicken-wire to protect the speakers. Also need to fabricate a new 3rd brake light housing. I will be fabbing a wire shelf, too.

Hate it or not, more to come.

Last edited by GringitoLoco; 04-25-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:43 AM
A bit more "progress" this weekend, though I was limited in the time I had.
A couple friends stopped by for a while and I had to tackle some home rewiring in the kitchen for a while today. I did not get to begin fabricating the rear shelf yet, but I think I know what material I am going to use. I need to fab a couple brackets and support, then cut the shelf tray and weld it to the brackets. Everything will be removable via several stock bolts. That's often one of the trademarks to my projects (unless completely unavoidable). No sheet metal was cut, no holes drilled, no direct welding, no major "un-doable" mods. So far the worse of it is that I painted a little past where the interior door panels go; I doubt anyone would ever notice since I cleanly painted to the rubber door seal/gasket.
All speakers (except those on the rear deck lid) are protected with mesh wire guard.
It was nice to see the 4 sunroof gutters were relatively clean.. I blew through each, no obstructions.

Passenger door was stripped and painted. Door handle is temporarily zip-tied in place with a rag to minimize rattling. That saddle bag is just along for the ride right now, taking up space. I bought another red LED that I'll wire up and mount to this panel, mimicking the driver's door. This door looks pretty naked right now, so I expect I'll alter it in some fashion in the near future.

The passenger seat was removed.. that center console has got to go and I'm going to have to fabricate something more utilitarian.. I may need to add an old ammo canister for storage and fab a cup-holder or something. I'll do some digging around and see what I can find. Another junkyard run is immanent- this weekend, likely. Carpet also needs to come out (maybe tomorrow?). My only real concern is how uneven the floor will be once the carpet and all the leveling styrofoam pieces are removed (if you've ever peeked under there you know what I'm referring to. I will say this; I'm loving all the room I have in here now! A couple friends [independent of one another] commented on how much room I have now for long road trips and sleeping in the G. True indeed! Also fabbed a simple metal bracket to house the exposed 3rd brake light.

A view from the back 'seat'. Also note the headliner and surrounding trim was removed, all metal was painted flat black. I'm not crazy about the tan sunvisors and sunroof slider, so those may require some attention. So far I haven't modified any of the original hardware, everything could be unbolted and reinstalled to stock (kind of a safety net).

I decided to relocate my low fuel warning lamp to the A-pillar (instead of in front of the dash cluster). It is temporarily zip-tied in place -my default mock-up technique. I'm much happier with this placement, and the sun doesn't hit it so it doesn't appear illuminated when it's not.

Peaking in from the driver's window. *Note the novelty of a 20L (Euro) fuel tank in the back. This setup would look so much better with a small fiberglass child's seat mounted to the door (dog bed in The Road Warrior), but I don't think that's going to happen. The stock seats are so bulky, too.. I'd love to replace them with a more streamlined (and inexpensive) aftermarket bucket seat. Thoughts???

Old 04-25-2016, 09:22 AM
Premier Member

The stock seats are so bulky, too.. I'd love to replace them with a more streamlined (and inexpensive) aftermarket bucket seat. Thoughts???
Watching this build in awe. lol.

As far as seats, s-chassis guys (Nissan 240SX) have installed 350Z seats, 3 of 4 mounts bolt up, the forth needs some modification. Maybe the reverse would be helpful. The seats in my S14 are very much not bulky. You'll lose the airbag in the seat, but I have a feeling that doesn't matter very much to you. Maybe even early 03 350Z seats that don't have the side airbags will be less bulky.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:17 PM
Watching this build in awe. lol.

As far as seats, s-chassis guys (Nissan 240SX) have installed 350Z seats, 3 of 4 mounts bolt up, the forth needs some modification. Maybe the reverse would be helpful. The seats in my S14 are very much not bulky. You'll lose the airbag in the seat, but I have a feeling that doesn't matter very much to you. Maybe even early 03 350Z seats that don't have the side airbags will be less bulky.
Haha.. glad at least someone is entertained.

I will look into those seats. Just want something a bit narrower, slimmer. I'm sure I can modify the seat mounts if need be.
I'd also like a black felt sunroof slider and sunvisors, but if they aren't available I may spray them with a fabric paint and spray the plastic mirror trim black with that plastic fusion paint. They just jump out at you with a black roof interior now.

Today I pulled the carpet completely, thoroughly cleaned and vacuumed a ton of crap out of all the nooks and crannies, found another pocket-full of spare change (still some in the seat I just couldn't knock free), and decided that I am NOT going to be permanently removing the carpet. The floor is far too intricate with cavities and between the braces and whatnot, so screw it. There's no water damage anywhere, nothing to concern myself with. The carpet lining is surprisingly near waterproof given it is basically laminated on the bottom.

Both seats out, time to vacuum again.

Carpet out (passenger side view).

No more console, so I painted the silver metal black, relocated the seat heater switches (ziptied securely in place), and the hazard button (also secured with a ziptie). I masked off the label on the airbag sensor, obviously.

Top-down view of the same. All switches and wires tightly secured.

So now I needed a simple cup holder and console. this old Milwaukee power tool box fits snug in place and the stock removable Infiniti cup holder fits in it perfectly. I tested it tonight with a run to Dunkin Donuts and works great, though it is temporary until I can fabricate a new console over the airbag sensor. In my Jeep I used a heavy gauge military surplus ammo box, but I want something lower for this setup. I'm not leaving that tool box there, and I expect I'll have a passenger seat again in the near future..

Video of same:

Random shot. Don't ask about the bandanna.. it's something I've had in the Jeep for a long time. Big, ugly seat. Blech.

Last edited by GringitoLoco; 04-25-2016 at 09:38 PM. Reason: added Youtube link
Old 04-27-2016, 10:03 PM
Good progress so far.

As far as my other comment, that was not particularly directed at you; more of a generic statement. It was more specifically to that Z that's botched up in the other post.
Your Road Warrior/ Mad Max build is quite entertaining and functional. Not hating at all, I actually appreciate the work that goes into it. Just not my cup of tea, but I respect the work that you did on yours.

I bet you can find a set of aftermarket seats or just some used 350z seats for pretty cheap. It would look better on the interior for sure, as the stock seats don't really go with your theme.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Justice06RR
Good progress so far.

As far as my other comment, that was not particularly directed at you; more of a generic statement. It was more specifically to that Z that's botched up in the other post.
Your Road Warrior/ Mad Max build is quite entertaining and functional. Not hating at all, I actually appreciate the work that goes into it. Just not my cup of tea, but I respect the work that you did on yours.

I bet you can find a set of aftermarket seats or just some used 350z seats for pretty cheap. It would look better on the interior for sure, as the stock seats don't really go with your theme.
Thanks Justice,
It's a project, gives me something to do with a car that I would otherwise have nothing to do to. I can't undo years of neglect, rust and corrosion, but I can turn that lemon into some weak lemonade, if you'll excuse the cheesy cliche.

The seats need to go, but I think I'm going to have to turn my immediate attention on replacing the front cross member brace (recommended aftermarket parts, anyone?) and rebuilding the front suspension assembly with the new bushings, tie rods and sway bar I picked up last fall. I know I don't need to say this again, but I can't afford the expense to have this done at a shop, so I need to find a way.

I think my best bet is to buy new (used) original components, install the new bushing set, and replace with all new hardware. 'Zip' everything off (easier said than done), bolt new parts on, get it aligned. My greatest concern is bolts snapping into the nuts inside the unibody. There's a ton of rust up in there, which really has me concerned. Then I can finally bolt in my new struts/coils and get back to a respectable driving height. It's a real rough ride right now, especially in the northeast. The thing is, I may be able to get access to a shop lift for a day or two, and if I do I want to be able to bolt on the replacement parts relatively quickly.

Thanks guys, hope you continue to enjoy or at least get a kick out of this.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:21 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
i dont get it

Old 05-11-2016, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by saywat?
i dont get it
I know.. it's not for everyone. To each their own, and it doesn't bother me if someone doesn't like it. It's a beater and honestly probably doesn't have a lot of time left on the road. It's also a toy for me, something I can play with. If it doesn't work out the way I like it, oh well.

Here's a concept I was playing with yesterday. The front bumper and lower air dams/valance are beat to crap due to clearance issues and years of NJ roads; might as well trim that scraped-up junk off and build a simple tube bumper (color undecided, but the orange is highly visible for concept purposes). Something along the lines of this could work..

Old 05-11-2016, 11:26 AM
Premier Member

Here's a concept I was playing with yesterday. The front bumper and lower air dams/valance are beat to crap due to clearance issues and years of NJ roads; might as well trim that scraped-up junk off and build a simple tube bumper (color undecided, but the orange is highly visible for concept purposes). Something along the lines of this could work..

One of my friends that's into Jeeps told me this bumper/skid plate if for a Wrangler. Maybe see if you can adapt something before trying to reinvent the wheel?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.