New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

New Member Looking At '04-'06 G35X's....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
New Member Looking At '04-'06 G35X's....

Hey All,
I figured I might as well stop lurking and searching for a minute to post up an introduction. My name is Steve, I'm 37 years old, married with 2 kids, and fell in love with the G35X after test-driving an '04 last week.

I currently have an '01 Jeep Cherokee as a daily driver, and an '88 Monte Carlo SS as a toy. The Monte has a ton of mods; built 355 V8 converted to fuel injection, 5-speed manual trans swap, 12" front disc conversion, Eibach/Bilstein suspension, and 17x8" Coys wheels. Pretty much everything was built right in my driveway with the help of my friends so I'm a decent wrench and I also do my own maintainence (oil changes, brakes, sparkplugs, belts, alternators, exhausts, batteries, etc.). The only major mod I've done on the Jeep has been converting it to rear discs with parts off a '97 Grand Cherokee.

Anyway, I already have a buyer for my Cherokee and have been shopping hard for a decent priced silver or gray G35X with low miles. I found two in my price range (around 15K) - one is an '04 with only 42K miles, and the other is an '06 with 61K. I know from searching on the site that the '06 is rated with a bit more HP and also has bigger brakes, but the fact that it already has that many miles bugs me. I average about 9K miles a year on a car, so that 20K mile difference between those two cars is like an extra two years to me LOL. Are there any real high-mileage owners here? How is the long-term reliability of the transfer case and auto transmissions in the G35X? Which car would you buy?

Oh before I go, here's a few pics of the Monte. It's For Sale too.

Let me know what you think, and I hope to be cruising in my own G soon!

Old 01-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome from Ky, Steve. Neither G will have warranty, correct? I wouldn't be scared of the mileage at all. There are several around that are pushing 200 to 300K. I got 104K and she purrs like a kitten.
GL!
rob.g

Old 01-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the welcome Rob! The one with 61K miles is actually very close to the guy buying my Jeep - I might be able to drive out with the Jeep, get paid for it, then bring the money to the dealership and drive home with the G35. I have to get out there and take a look at it this week for sure.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:07 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Welcome to the family.

Another satisfied 05 owner here. Car has 78,000 miles and it runs like new. I have had to fix the infamous axle click and replace both of my front lower control arms but it was all DIY. Can't speak for an X though we have a lot of X owners on here and I don't think they've had any more trouble than the 2WD crowd. Also glad to see an older new member (I'm 48), we've been inundated with a bunch of immature noobs lately that have made things around here interesting to say the least.

As far as your choices I'd have a hard time deciding if they were the same price. The 06 is a superior car IMO as it has an upgraded exterior and interior and just feels a little more luxurious. The engines are exactly the same so performance wise there really is no difference between an 04 and an 06.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Very cool, thanks for the response Blue Dream! I'm also a Satriani fan (I saw one of your responses while searching in another thread ). I'm glad these cars seem to be relatively DIY, since I'm a big fan of doing my own work. That way if something gets screwed up, it's my fault. I'm really excited to buy a G. I called on another low-mile '04 that was online quite a while, only to find out it was sold today. Damn! Hopefully the '06 I found is still available when I call Monday.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:11 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
No worries. I was really surprised when I bought the G to find out how much work is fairly easy to do on it. It's easier to work on than the Maxima I traded in on her. Glad to see you're reading through the forum, just about any question you might think to ask has probably been answered a bunch of times. I really believe this is the premiere site for our cars. Driver has started shifting to a more socially oriented forum in the last year or so as prices of the G have dropped and we get more and more younger drivers but there is still a crapload of technical info for you to browse and learn about your new car. Let us know what car you decide on, it's really hard to go wrong with one that's been properly maintained.

And yes Satriani rocks!!

Old 02-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Update - after much hunting, I found and put a deposit today on a gray '06X with black interior and aluminum trim. I should be picking it up sometime on Saturday!!! It has the Bose system, Smartkey, and no nav. I'll be sure to post some pics!