New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

New guy- buying tips for 03 sedan higher mileage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy- buying tips for 03 sedan higher mileage

Hey guys, my names Bob. Currently Driving a 07 Chevy Cobalt which was my fiances car, bought her a new camry and took this over.

I hate the thing, I did some bolt ons/tuning/suspension work only to be let down...for obvious reasons. So i want something new. I am 23 with 2 kids, so I need four doors. Her camry has about 18 months left on the lease so whatever I get has to be paid by then, and to top that off I have crap credit.

I was messing around online and found this 03 6spd sedan with 110k for $7550:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...&&aff=national

Always been a huge g35 fan since high school, excited to possibly buy one. Just had a few questions regarding realiability for that miles. At 110k I expect the original clutch, how long do they usually last for?

And does the g35 have a timing belt? I just cant afford to get into a money pit at this point, and im wondering if this is a good buy. I HATE that its from NYC in the city, so it may have some marks, but I work for a Subaru dealership so I can get all that taken care of (my dealership doesnt have buy here pay here program hence why im looking elsewhere)

Let me know what you think guys!

Old 03-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Welcome to DRIVER!

The price is high for a '03 with that kinda mileage and this dealership won't guarantee items like the clutch, you'd be buying it "As Is!" For the same $$ you should be able to find a newer sedan with less mileage and not from New York. Shop around, you'll find a better deal....Gary

Old 03-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Gary- Thank you for the input, but I have searched cars.com and this is the cheapest g35 6spd around by $3000, I will not have an an auto trans, the 6spd is definitely more rare, I see autos cheaper but not 6spds.

Price doesnt really worry me here, its black on black which is the perfect combo for me, tires are good and the mileage isnt too bad, I just need to know what these are like maintence and high mileage wise.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:04 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Overall the G is a fairly reliable high mileage car. A lot of that depends on how it was taken care of during it's life like most things. Most of the common maintenance issues are relatively minor and inexpensive especially if you can DIY or have the mechanics at your work fix for you. The motors and transmissions are rock solid, issues with the 03 will probably include the OEM radio going out along with the climate controls, lower control arm and compression rod bushings failing, ball joints going bad, etc. Most of these items pop up starting at 60K miles or so so maybe the car you're looking at has already some of this fixed.

Good luck with your search and I'm going to respectfully disagree with Gary, if the car's in good shape with the 6MT that's a fair price. Not great but fair.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks!

I can DIY garage stuff, dont have power tools or a lift, clutch is over my head but can do maintence, springs/struts ect, bushings are no big deal.

I just read all g's have timing chains so thats good. Anything else i need to worry about? Diff strength? clutch? anything large known for premature failure? Suspension is no big deal to me, I usually get coilovers on my cars, id probably do the same.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to G35 driver!