New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

New to the Forum and G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the Forum and G35

Greetings every one, as the title expresses I am new to this forum as well as being a first time infinity owner. This past week end I picked up an 05 silver G35 coupe with black leather interior and 130 k. I was looking for something to enjoy driving Saturday night or sunday afternoon as well as having potential for above average performance upgrades.
at 48 I have evolved into a respectable shade tree mechanic and have over the years bought sold and enjoyed a broad spectrum of cars from Jag xj8l, land rovers,mercedes 500es,a fiat all used and in need of a little TLC.
The aforementioned imports aside I have spent more time under the hoods of American muscle than anything else and am anxious as to what to expect from the G35. My first impression is that I will enjoy the handling of this car more than any other I have known. That being said I have some reservations as to ease of serviceability. Perhaps this is simply do to lack of familiarity with the car and mfg. but after raising the hood and inspecting the engine compartment i am fairly certain it is a bit of both.
I am meticulous to a fault with maintenance and vehicle care however this in no way suppresses desire to go fast.
I would like to welcome all recommendations and suggestions that result in reasonable cost to gain ratio in terms of horsepower any known idiosyncrasy. And lastly any advice on a safety restraint light that maintains continuous illumination and the truth or opinions on the benefits of performance chips and or remapping of pcms or ecms. I look forward to learning and sharing with all of you
Regards,
Bobbyjon64

Attached Thumbnails New to the Forum and G35-imag0848-2-.jpg  
Old 07-19-2013, 12:10 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Bobby, welcome to the community. As far as your comment about remapping the pcm, until you have a few basic bolt on modifications, there's little to gain from it right out of the gate. Depending on the performance end game youre looking for you can go several routes. Forced induction is definatly the only step that's going to really transform the car. N/A bolt ones with a solid tune can net you in the neighborhood of ~40-50whp. If 280whp over your stock ~225-230 is going to be enough for you, then it's a pretty simple path ahead. Usually in about the $2500 neighborhood all said and done. If you're looking more to crest the 400whp mark for a shot at some real speed then compaines like APS, GReddy, Turbonetics, and a slew of others make turbo kits that are a bolt on process. There are other options too. Prochargers or Nitrious. However, these options are going to require an expanded budget of closer to 7-9k.

Most people, especially myself, really enjoy the g35 because it's a nice blend of economy, luxury and performance. Because the car is a Nissan, the easy of service is realatively simple. It's more a matter of getting to know your new car. I would say that nothing is difficult to do on these cars, just some operations will require more time.

Best of luck with the G! Looks like you have a great base to start with!

Old 07-19-2013, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Nice ride man, your car comes with the aero package, an aftermarket lip, and the OEM 19" Rays (wheels). This is a good looking ride and we would hope that this suits your needs. Anything you may have a question about you can always ask, but use the search bar first and specify thread title .

Old 07-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Nice ride man, your car comes with the aero package, an aftermarket lip, and the OEM 19" Rays (wheels). This is a good looking ride and we would hope that this suits your needs. Anything you may have a question about you can always ask, but use the search bar first and specify thread title .
Thank you as off yet I am unfamiliar with what was or is factory or aftermarket. Can you recommend a proven resource for both drive train and body upgrades and components. I have used e-bay successfully in the past however its a bit dogmatic to research both vendor and component. It would be ideal to find a reputable and knowledgeable supply house.
Thanks again

Old 07-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Hi I apologize my response appears so delayed though I responded with gratitude shortly after recieving your welcome it must be I erred in its submitance.
That said I again thank you for the helpful information and I am sure you are right about becoming familiar with the car, I recall how confounded I felt when I first took on the vacuum system of a c230 I had purchased for my daughter but a few months later and with a broader vocabulary of profanity I prevailed.
Could you elaborate on what forced induction actually is , is it likened to the old ram air systems is it passive where as turbo is mechanical.
My first steps which seemed logical were to begin looking at the intake breather system and the exhaust but you've got me musing on this turbo thing, My dad has an 88 Buick grand national with 46k miles and a stage three block 22lbs of boost and his relentless boasting has me thinking how nice it would be to run it down with another six cylinder. I have produced an 8 cylinder that was capable but it is discounted perhaps rightly in his eyes for its significant displacement advantage. Thus this turbo possibility gains ground in appeal.
Lastly can you or anyone tell me about the stock exhaust ? will it need replacing is it tuned if so any recommendations on kits and as I live in one of those ever decreasing but much appreciated areas that do not require emissions testing are there tangible pros and cons to removal of the cat/cats other than the obvious decreased back pressure + and 02 sensor issues-
Thanks again for the welcome and info.
Regards

Old 07-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by shiftdowng35
Hey Bobby, welcome to the community. As far as your comment about remapping the pcm, until you have a few basic bolt on modifications, there's little to gain from it right out of the gate. Depending on the performance end game youre looking for you can go several routes. Forced induction is definatly the only step that's going to really transform the car. N/A bolt ones with a solid tune can net you in the neighborhood of ~40-50whp. If 280whp over your stock ~225-230 is going to be enough for you, then it's a pretty simple path ahead. Usually in about the $2500 neighborhood all said and done. If you're looking more to crest the 400whp mark for a shot at some real speed then compaines like APS, GReddy, Turbonetics, and a slew of others make turbo kits that are a bolt on process. There are other options too. Prochargers or Nitrious. However, these options are going to require an expanded budget of closer to 7-9k.

Most people, especially myself, really enjoy the g35 because it's a nice blend of economy, luxury and performance. Because the car is a Nissan, the easy of service is realatively simple. It's more a matter of getting to know your new car. I would say that nothing is difficult to do on these cars, just some operations will require more time.

Best of luck with the G! Looks like you have a great base to start with!
Hi I apologize my response appears so delayed though I responded with gratitude shortly after recieving your welcome it must be I erred in its submitance.
That said I again thank you for the helpful information and I am sure you are right about becoming familiar with the car, I recall how confounded I felt when I first took on the vacuum system of a c230 I had purchased for my daughter but a few months later and with a broader vocabulary of profanity I prevailed.
Could you elaborate on what forced induction actually is , is it likened to the old ram air systems is it passive where as turbo is mechanical.
My first steps which seemed logical were to begin looking at the intake breather system and the exhaust but you've got me musing on this turbo thing, My dad has an 88 Buick grand national with 46k miles and a stage three block 22lbs of boost and his relentless boasting has me thinking how nice it would be to run it down with another six cylinder. I have produced an 8 cylinder that was capable but it is discounted perhaps rightly in his eyes for its significant displacement advantage. Thus this turbo possibility gains ground in appeal.
Lastly can you or anyone tell me about the stock exhaust ? will it need replacing is it tuned if so any recommendations on kits and as I live in one of those ever decreasing but much appreciated areas that do not require emissions testing are there tangible pros and cons to removal of the cat/cats other than the obvious decreased back pressure + and 02 sensor issues-
Thanks again for the welcome and info.
Regards