New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Butterface G35 cure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Butterface G35 cure?

Hi!

I don't have a G35 but I'm curious about them, hoping for some answers from the experienced crew. Eventually I'll need to replace my current car, so when I see something interesting I like to research it.

I noticed a G35 coupe in a parking garage recently, thought it looked good. Really struck by it actually. I'd never paid any attention to these cars before, but I really liked the profile. I've worked it out that I was probably looking at a 2006 with aftermarket wheels on it. In fact I caught myself wondering why I'd never really noticed these cars earlier.

Then I walked around to the front, and realized that I had noticed these cars before, I just hated the way they looked from the front. This brings me to the question: Are there any aftermarket kits to replace or alter the grill & headlights on these models?

I did a little googling and saw a few one-offs- any more pointers?

Old 09-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
It is a cheap import, of course there is a range of body kits and modifications to change it looks.

Real question is, what are you driving now? It will help gauge what your preferred style is.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There are many grill replacements for the G. There are also a lot of options for the bumper. Not too many for the headlights though.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Mostly I want to escape from the "stacked" headlight design. I have a Legacy GT now, love it to pieces but they don't make them anymore and mine won't last forever. And the last one they made? Stacked headlights. Ugh. I've seen it on several brands & models, and to my eye it makes them all look like Freightliner Sprinters. Mind you, the sprinter is a fine truck but it's not known for its looks by a long shot.

I really like the lines on that g coupe. I think it's gorgeous from the sides & rear. I've never driven one but I like the reviews and the go-numbers all seem right. But that front is ugly enough to get a Subaru fan to complain about style, which must be some kind of special achievement award.

Glad to hear that there are options for changing it. I googled more and found more since my first post.

Also I'm curious- what's the deal for aftermarket audio on these? It was a big hassle on the Legacy, had to get a JDM part via grey market just to hang a standard double-din head unit.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Not much you can do about the stacked design on the coupes. There are many companies that do custom headlight work. They can be quite beautiful when done right.

The newer G35vsedans not only have a much nicer interior, but headlight design maybe more suited to your style.

Also new G37 coupe have a much much sexier look. They switched to the side by side headlights.

Tons and tons of aftermarket audio. Pretty much anything you want could be done. Depends on your pockets.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Yeah that headlight is vastly improved over what I saw on the coupe I was checking out. I'd still be tempted to paint over that top lobe and make a new line there.

Glad to hear the audio thing isn't tough. I don't need anything crazy, but I have the firm belief that no car has ever left its factory with a good system, and anything aftermarket will be better. Plus it's always nice to get current features installed in an older car.

Looks like I have more research to do- thanks for the bits so far!

Old 09-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The issue you will find with changing the radio will be finding a replacement kit. They can be pricey - $300 new but if you are patient and hunt the bargin bins, you can find one cheap. I got mine of CL for $150