New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Reverse doesn't engage - 5AT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2014 | 08:39 PM
|
Reverse doesn't engage - 5AT

I have a 2006 G35 coupe automatic with 69300 miles on it and it will not go into reverse when the car is warmed up. It seems to engage reluctantly, but hard if it's the first gear selection in the morning or when I leave for work 9 hours later. Once the car is warmed up, no reverse at all sometimes it pulses like it's trying. Last Friday, when leaving for work, I was able to get reverse to engage and then went backwards for a while in the parking lot, maybe hitting 15 mph. Then it wouldn't do into Drive very well after that. It seems to buck a little like it's trying but no full engagement. I put it in neutral for a few about 10 seconds, tried drive again and it was ok. I've taken it to Infiniti of Syracuse and they acknowledge the issue but say they cannot find anything wrong. The did a drain and fill so "see if it would help." Well, it hasn't done much of anything to improve the situation. I've searched and searched through this forum, Z forums and infinitihelp forums. Someone has had to have this happen before...I just can't find the solution anywhere. Has anybody dealt with this before???

Can you just take a valvebody out of one car and put it in another???

Do I have pressure problems???

I have had the car serviced at a Nissan dealership and they have never recommended a trans service, so it's the original fluid at this mileage. I have driven the car very easy. Just to give you an idea, all the rotors are original and the front pads are too. The rears were replaced around 55k. Either way, should I do another drain and fill in 500 miles or so???

Attached Thumbnails Reverse doesn't engage - 5AT-20130929_122841.jpg  
Old 07-05-2014 | 08:02 AM
I had a similar problem in my 2004 G35 Sedan AT

Reverse gear would take longer than normal to engage, over the period of a year it got progressively worse and worse, (although on some days the reverse gear engaged perfectly). I noticed revving the car just a little bit seemed to help engage it.

After a year of this, the reverse gear would take up to 20 seconds to engage. It stayed this way for awhile and then one day it just wouldn't engage.

I needed a new transmission. Not cheap. Go to a few tranny shops to get it checked and try not to get ripped off.. good mechanics are hard to find.