New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

04 g35 overheats on freeway. ..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 g35 overheats on freeway. ..

Hello im having this problem with my car. It's a sedan auto.
I already changed...
Fan clutch
Thermostat
Coolant sensor
Radiator cap

I did the bleed thing. Upper and lower hoses are hot after normal temp. Heater blows hot.

Car works fine on city ones I get on the freeway and after about 5 min of driving car starts to overheat. When this happens coolant it's not boiling or anything.

I dont know what the problem I'm out of clues.

I flushed the system with garden hose. I had no restrictions on engine or radiator. Please help!

Old 10-04-2014, 03:18 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
If you're 100% sure you bled all the air out of the system here's one thing you need to check. Remove your thermostat, put it in a pot and bring to a boil making sure it opens all the way. I had a like issue with a GM car, they replaced everything you can imagine but failed to check the thermostat. It was only opening part way which worked fine around town, at freeway speed it heated up the system because of the restriction.
Good Luck with this...Gary

Old 10-04-2014, 03:24 PM
The thing is thermostat it's new, a week old. Could be a faulty one? maybe. I'll do the test just to make sure.
Now, how do you know when you are at 100% sure there is no air in the system?
I just bought this car I love how it runs and evrything but Im starting to hate it....

Old 10-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Also temp gauge it's always on the middle it's this normal or it has to be lower than middle point. ....

Old 10-06-2014, 10:54 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Your temp gauge should always be slightly lower than half, I'd be concerned if it was above half gauge indicating an issue existed! What does your gauge read at constant freeway speed? What did you do to remove the air from your radiator? You're supposed to use the valve in the front bottom of your radiator. This often takes 20 minutes of constantly running your G to remove all the air!
Gary

Old 10-07-2014, 12:03 AM
Front bottom? So I'm doing it wrong then?. I've been using the valve close to the battery and also the funnel on the radiator.
I thought that valve was to drain the coolant.
Temperature gauge stays just about half point, ones on freeway it starts to go up.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:43 AM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by zhamuko
Front bottom? So I'm doing it wrong then?. I've been using the valve close to the battery and also the funnel on the radiator.
I thought that valve was to drain the coolant.
Temperature gauge stays just about half point, ones on freeway it starts to go up.
Ain't no front bottom. Sheesh.

You're correct using the bleeder valve by the battery. If you're getting hot air from the heater and your lower radiator hose is hot when the engine is hot you should be good. Other than that is could be a heater core leak, a bad radiator cap or...head gasket. Have you pressure tested the system? What's the HOTTEST its ever reached on your guage?

Old 10-07-2014, 12:49 AM
Well cap it's new too, that's my next step do a pressure test... air blows hot at idle, upper and lower hoses are hot.

Just to be safe i replaced the water pump. It was a pretty easy job. Now I'm waiting for the coolant to settle I'm warming it and then waiting to cool down and adding more antifreeze. I hope this ends my problem, if not next step pressure test and from there I hope it's not the headgaskets....

Old 10-07-2014, 12:52 AM
Water pump had rust on the blades and the o rings had stains like if they were leaking well one of them the coolant side. It also had some play. So fingers crossed.....

Old 10-07-2014, 12:55 AM
That could be it too if the blades had rusted off. I've heard of that happening. May as well get a new timing chain while yer at it.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:43 PM
After more testing I came to the conclusion that my radiator it's clogged.
I did the test with the garden hose At The beginning of all this, but I guess it's clogged in some parts.
I let the car warm up to temperature and till the thermostat opened. Turn off the car and went and touch the radiator.
Had some parts hot and some parts cold so it has to be that. I basically changed everything already (8
I will change it til Saturday, so let you guys know what's up. But i feel positive that that's it....

Old 10-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by zhamuko
After more testing I came to the conclusion that my radiator it's clogged.
I did the test with the garden hose At The beginning of all this, but I guess it's clogged in some parts.
I let the car warm up to temperature and till the thermostat opened. Turn off the car and went and touch the radiator.
Had some parts hot and some parts cold so it has to be that. I basically changed everything already (8
I will change it til Saturday, so let you guys know what's up. But i feel positive that that's it....
Good call! Please let us know! Hope it all works out.