New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown Head Gasket

I bought a rev up motor and it turned out to it had a blown head gasket. I had the heads resurfaced and placed back on the motor. After the motor was installed, it was blowing out the radiator fluid. Can the block warp or is it a head issue? The motor has 85k

Old 04-21-2017, 04:39 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Since the motor is aluminum it can warp very easily if it gets too hot. There's no way for us to diagnose it over the internet, if you can't figure it out there take it to a competent mechanic.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took it to a mechanic who said it was the head gasket. Once the car was put back together, it continued with the same symptom of blowing all the radiator fluid out. I'm guessing it might be the block at this point since you mention it could warp

Old 04-22-2017, 09:22 AM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
The block can warp.
When my head gasket went both heads and both block decks were warped. I was able to get them flat again but be careful with how much material you take off.

Because we use a timing chain, the timing will change very slightly if you take a lot of material off. I took quite a lot of material off (don't have exact measurement but it was a lot) and the timing chain wouldn't match up the alignment markers with the engine at TDC. I just set it to TDC and placed the chain where I knew it needed to be. I had a code afterwards for over advanced timing but couldn't feel/notice any difference. JWT sell adjustable cam gear to fix this.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:26 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Buy a machinists level and some feeler gauges are your friends here. Put the level in several parts of the block and look for light coming through. Might be hard to do that in the car, so get some feeler gauges and the FSM to see if it passes underneath.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.