New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Hello from NYC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 02:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hello from NYC

Hey everyone. Sunny here from the Bronx. I'm a total (kinda) newbie to Infiniti (2006 G35x Sedan with AT) but been driving my 6th gen. Nissan Maxima for the last decade. I don't have any photos of my car yet but will update the thread as soon as I get to take some photos. I'm really looking forward to get your input and suggestion on mods to this new baby

My first planned mod: Enable playing music from my phones/tablets to the Bose speakers (either wired or bluetooth) with Aux-in option. I already ordered the GROM kit and it is on its way to me. Please share your experience with this kit (if you like/love/hate it); I'm very picky with audio quality. I did some research on the internet among GROM, iSimple and USA Spec kits then finally went with GROM. Your input will be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-30-2018, 11:08 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,458 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Congrats on the new car.

The following users liked this post:
sunny8294 (03-30-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 01:14 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Welcome!

Grom is a good device, I had it for a number of years. However I would say get a nice in-dash receiver. I have the Kenwood Android Auto/Apple Carplay model, for $400. Well worth it and less headaches, I wish I did it years ago.

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navig...edia/dmx7704s/

sunny8294 (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 02:08 AM
Originally Posted by ErikNYC
Welcome!

Grom is a good device, I had it for a number of years. However I would say get a nice in-dash receiver. I have the Kenwood Android Auto/Apple Carplay model, for $400. Well worth it and less headaches, I wish I did it years ago.

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navig...edia/dmx7704s/

Thank you so much for your suggestion Erik! I was thinking about getting one of the Car play unit but I had a budget constraint. I'm so glad that you had good experience with the GROM device because I just received my GROM kit today and had a stab at it. Myself being a newbie in this, I can't seem to get the harness off the clip on shifter trim. Did you have the same problem? I kind of gave up for today since the rain started. I will get back to it again tomorrow! Did you do your own GROM install?

Old 04-08-2018, 12:01 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sunny8294
Thank you so much for your suggestion Erik! I was thinking about getting one of the Car play unit but I had a budget constraint. I'm so glad that you had good experience with the GROM device because I just received my GROM kit today and had a stab at it. Myself being a newbie in this, I can't seem to get the harness off the clip on shifter trim. Did you have the same problem? I kind of gave up for today since the rain started. I will get back to it again tomorrow! Did you do your own GROM install?
Sorry for the delay in response. I do recall having an issue with that clip, the good new is I do not have to worry about the clip any longer. lol

Hows the Grom unit treating you?

sunny8294 (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by ErikNYC
Sorry for the delay in response. I do recall having an issue with that clip, the good new is I do not have to worry about the clip any longer. lol

Hows the Grom unit treating you?
No worries at all man. Unfortunately, I can't get my car to recognize the GROM unit. I will be very happy if you could help to track down what am I doing wrong. I have the GROM unit installed with a friend of mine. It is plugged in at the back of the radio with the original connection plugged in to the GROM. My car is 2006 G35 with Bose and Navigation. I don't have SAT. but I do have the button that says PTY/CAT on the head unit. When I press radio button, it just toggles through FM1, FM2 and AM. No XM1, XM2 or Aux. I browsed through out the forum and only thing I found (GROM support told me the same) that I have disconnect the SAT harness that's located in the trunk; according to them 2005 and up G35s come pre-wired from SAT radio. Any suggestion for me man? Will really appreciate any input!

Old 04-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Not sure I fully understand what your issue is, but here's some thoughts.

Did you double-check your steps from the instructions? The note under step 4 looks like a possible error item.

https://gromaudio.com/docs/nissan_installation_ptap.pdf

See also this item: "SAT Emulation + stereo WITH factory NAV and/or SAT: to preserve the NAV and/or Factory External CD changer, reconnect the factory harness back to GROM NIS02 female slot (4). You will then also need to locate the Factory Satellite Radio Tuner module (if equipped) in the vehicle (typically located in the trunk) and disconnect it from there directly in order to disable the factory SAT."

Have you disconnected the trunk module? You don't think you have satellite, but there might be a tuner back there that just isn't being used.

Download the Factory Service Manual (FSM).

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/

Keep it all in one folder. Start with the FWD file. Go to the AV chapter. Page 36 has instructions for accessing the satellite tuner location in the trunk on the underside of the parcel shelf (passenger-side). Some of the clips are nasty to remove. Having a clip tool is mighty helpful. I had none; used curved side wire cutting pliers to work them out.

Good luck....

sunny8294 (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 03:31 PM
Received 334 Likes on 286 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
These are the clips in the trunk. The first one in the row of C103s is the tough one that is up on the underside of the parcel shelf in nearly impossible to reach places.

Attached Thumbnails Hello from NYC-trunk-clips.jpg  
sunny8294 (04-08-2018)
Old 04-08-2018, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
Not sure I fully understand what your issue is, but here's some thoughts.

Did you double-check your steps from the instructions? The note under step 4 looks like a possible error item.

https://gromaudio.com/docs/nissan_installation_ptap.pdf

See also this item: "SAT Emulation + stereo WITH factory NAV and/or SAT: to preserve the NAV and/or Factory External CD changer, reconnect the factory harness back to GROM NIS02 female slot (4). You will then also need to locate the Factory Satellite Radio Tuner module (if equipped) in the vehicle (typically located in the trunk) and disconnect it from there directly in order to disable the factory SAT."

Have you disconnected the trunk module? You don't think you have satellite, but there might be a tuner back there that just isn't being used.

Download the Factory Service Manual (FSM).

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/

Keep it all in one folder. Start with the FWD file. Go to the AV chapter. Page 36 has instructions for accessing the satellite tuner location in the trunk on the underside of the parcel shelf (passenger-side). Some of the clips are nasty to remove. Having a clip tool is mighty helpful. I had none; used curved side wire cutting pliers to work them out.

Good luck....
Thank you so much. No I didn't disconnect the trunk module. That's what I'm going for right now. Like you said, some of the clips are used at almost impossible to reach places. I saw 2 boxes mounted on the top part of trunk. One on the driver side and another one the passenger side. I'm going to attempt to get to these box to find out if any of them turns out to be the sat. radio tuner.