New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

What a ride! Hello from Cleveland!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 07:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35x Bose/Navigation
What a ride! Hello from Cleveland!

Good Morning Everyone!

New here from Cleveland, just bought a 2007 G35x and I'm having mixed emotions about it. I bought the car as my 2003 Volvo S80 was reaching a point of concern at almost 200k so I got a great deal on this one. It had 98k on the odometer, Navigation/Bose - the works. First thing I noticed is that it is pretty fast out of the box. The only mod this one had is window tint. I've had a few pros and cons for it. One of my largest being the lack of Bluetooth Audio (which I had in my 03 S80, with steering wheel control), the lack of headlight cleaning which I didn't even know was that big of a deal, and the navigation being pretty outdated. I have since become concerned with issues it's having. If not to just vent them I'll list them below.
  • 3 days after purchase: It was 5 degrees Fahrenheit in the evening. The Instrument cluster's dot matrix screen cracked.
  • 5 days of ownership: Exhaust Y pipe got a hole in it... RH side first, LH side started making noise before we had it off the rack.
  • 15 days into the Infiniti world: Top radiator hose leaking - causing steam. Fixed for $15 + a top off of coolant
  • 21 days into questioning myself: Lower radiator hose felt left out. Same cost.
  • Day 30: Bought a repair manual - Still steaming now appears to be a cracked radiator inlet pipe. Still waiting on that to arrive.
Outside of cooling issues, I am hoping this is a fun car to drive in the summer, haven't really had a chance to drop the windows, crank the system and just cruise.

Looking forward to a few mods but nothing crazy, I have a baby coming in March so I'll have to keep it reserved.

Anyway - Glad to be here!

-Dave

Old 02-04-2019, 09:48 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Welcome! Time to do a bunch of preventative maintenance.

If you all replace crankshaft and camshaft sensors with Hitachi parts, and go through the cooling system and replace the temp sensor, thermostat, and any other critical rubber hoses that see heat cycling, there isn't a lot to worry about drivetrain wise as long as you monitor oil consumption and don't let it get low. These cars are reliable but have lots of little annoying problems that can come up and cost money. Sounds like you're already into the DIY so you've got this.

This is a fun car to drive in the summer, night and day from an S80.
Any ideas for mods? Checkout the TransGo shift kit.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:35 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
G35 Sport Sedan 5AT
Sorry to hear you're questioning yourself about the car. These are great cars and if taken care (as with most cars) it won't disappoint. I too have a 2007. They're at that age of most anything rubber is in need or near in need of replacement. So not surprising you had radiator hose problems already. Also, 90k is a major service interval so you may want to look into seeing if that has been done. Kinda seems like possibly no, but I'm just a guy reading words. Anyways, welcome! And let's see some pics of this beast!

Old 02-05-2019, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Hello from southeast. Cleveland.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:21 AM
G35x Bose/Navigation
Originally Posted by cswlightning
Welcome! Time to do a bunch of preventative maintenance.

If you all replace crankshaft and camshaft sensors with Hitachi parts, and go through the cooling system and replace the temp sensor, thermostat, and any other critical rubber hoses that see heat cycling, there isn't a lot to worry about drivetrain wise as long as you monitor oil consumption and don't let it get low. These cars are reliable but have lots of little annoying problems that can come up and cost money. Sounds like you're already into the DIY so you've got this.

This is a fun car to drive in the summer, night and day from an S80.
Any ideas for mods? Checkout the TransGo shift kit.
Thanks cswlighting, I started ordering the remaining parts I was going to need. I checked out the TransGo website and couldn't quite figure out which shift kit fits my model.

As for any mods I have my wish list:
  • Haven't solidified anything but I know it's going to need some exhaust work so I figure something with a good deep tone would be nice but I have to balance the budget line. I don't want to spend 2k on an exhaust but I also don't want to put something on that looks like it was recommended by autozone.
  • Definitely want to look into the GROM VLINE system since I desperately miss bluetooth audio with steering wheel controls. I'm all about audio and technology.
  • LED fog lights or just fog lights that match the HIDs and an LED conversion on the marker lights - Also looked into getting Skyline 350GT tail lights so the turn signals are amber.
  • Cold air intakes - like the Z1 Motorsports version
Probably more but time will tell, for now I'm still working on the coolant leak which we may have cornered to the gasket of the inlet pipe or the actual cap being faulty at higher rpms.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:29 AM
G35x Bose/Navigation
Only photo!

This is day 5 back in the shop. No detailing, and it was during the polar vortex so I'm lucky it looked this good.
With all the salt, snow, and cold, I haven't really had time to take photos. Despite the photos, there aren't really scratches just a little dirty.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:50 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
https://transpartswarehouse.com/re5ro5a-hd2-nissan-re5r05a-jatco-5-speed-transmission-reprogramming-kit-2002-08.html?_vsrefdom=googleads&gclid=CjwKCAiA7vTiBRAq EiwA4NTO634A4-H7ZLjsEXAxQrgiMFkArZpgXRE2k3M5Ekev7j9UX0NPtoUXqRoC IHoQAvD_BwE
Here's the shift kit, makes the automatic shift fast when you want it to, and prolongs its lifespan.

Nice, sounds like you've got a solid modernization plan with the interior and the lights. CAIs actually lose a little power with these cars no matter what name brand you go with or how much $$ you spend so keep that in mind, you'd be doing it for looks and sound.

As far as the exhaust goes your best bet is either a used name brand system (sporty and loud) or doing something custom which is the route I went since I wanted something that was deep at idle, screams over 4k, but relatively drone-free while driving normally to work and back every day. I have some other ideas I wanna try out with quarter wave resonators so if you want a parts list LMK. Both options are around $500 for the system not including new cats.