New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

New to me G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock
New to me G35 Coupe

I just got an 05 G35 coupe, Dont know much about the G35 and its capabilities but I've wanted one for some time. It's an 05 229000 km, lady driven, never missed an oil change. I've got $12000 in receipts for work and parts but what should I be mind of and what should I have done at this point in its life. I've heard people talking about Transmission problems but people talk crap all the time. I want to do some light things to the car nothing major. I did just get the K&N cold air set up, what can I do to get more out of it?

Old 07-20-2019, 06:34 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
6MT or 5AT ? If you dont' have reciept for it being serviced lately I would definitely change fluid, the 5AT is just a drain/fill with Genuine Nissan Matic J or Matic S. As for things that wear out, pretty much the entire suspension, I strongly recommend you take it in for an alignment and they'll let you know if anything is worn to the point that it cannot be aligned, plus it will save your tires. The rear differential bushing is a short-life common wear item that most people replace with a polyurethane bushing as a permanent fix.

Check the DOT date stamp on your tires, if it's over 5 years you should replace them regardless of wear, tread depth isn't what keeps your stopping distance and handling within spec...

The first performance mod would be a 5/16 plenum spacer, stay away from plastic ones (if you have the 6MT you will need the MREV2 lower intake plenum and the 5/16 spacer), the second performance mod would be high flow cats, third and final mod (in my opinion anyways) would be a tune. Nothing else aside from forced induction is cost effective, spacer/hfc/tune gets you about 35whp, full exhaust adds another 8 but costs upwards of $1200. It's good for adding noise though, if you're into that sort of thing.

Check your oil EVERY WEEK, before the car has been driven for the day. These engines are notorious for consuming oil, it's not a great concern tbh but you need to check it regularly and keep it topped off or it will cost you a motor. If you have oil consumption problems stick with conventional instead of synthetic.

Here's a copy of the scheduled maintenance, I strongly suggest going through that stack of receipts to make sure it's all been done. Turkey baster to suck out the power steering reservoir is a lot easier than doing a full fluid swap, do it twice (swap/drive/swap) for about an 80% fluid exchange.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/200...067-41185P.pdf

Download and keep a copy of the Factory Service Manual, the document starts at FWD - Forward. It's not a matter of IF something needs repair, it's a matter of WHEN.

https://nicoclub.com/archives/infini...e-manuals.html

NICO has had problems with NNA in the past making them pull down the FSM's so be sure to actually DOWNLOAD each of the .PDF files for your vehicle.

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax followed by Optimum Opti-Seal will make your paint look beautiful and last a very long time.

If you're really tall there's a way to mod the seat to drop it another inch, you should be able to google it, there's a thread somewhere here on G35DRIVER.COM so just add that into the search.

There's also a cheap mod I wrote somewhere about relocating the seat belt holder so it doesn't hit you right in the neck in case you're an average sized person.

Sports cars aren't cheap to own or maintain, performance components wear faster (due to abuse) and are more technically complex. Keep up on the maintenance so things don't snowball. WHEN you cam/crank sensors fail only replace them with Genuine Nissan or Hitachi ones, this car doesn't play nice with other brands.

The orange corner markers have strong aftermarket support for CLEAR ONES, they look better.

It's a great platform, welcome aboard.

The following 3 users liked this post by cleric670:
Brendonb1 (07-23-2019), cuzin.danny (07-24-2020), Deepdiver (07-21-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock
Thank you so much for all the great info. First I've got to to find this antifreeze problem that just started today. Think I'm just going to put a new radiator into it this weekend.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:05 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
My advice adding to what cleric said is sell the K&N kit and either put a high flow dry filter into your factory airbox or get the Stillen CAI. All the K&N and other open air filters do is suck in the super heated air from the engine compartment which in a lot of cases LOSES power, not adds it. The Stillen filter's in a polycarbonate box which forces air flow in from the front of the car not the engine bay. The factory airbox is well-designed and creates pressure inside it and forces the air into the motor so it's not a bad design by any measure.

The following users liked this post:
Brendonb1 (08-01-2019)