New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

New to the Forum. Need Help With My G35!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coupe Sport W/ Bolt-ons
Unhappy New to the Forum. Need Help With My G35!

Hello fellow vq enthusiasts,
Im hoping someone can help me out here as i'm somewhat of an amateur self taught mechanic and struggling to figure out this issue. I have a 2003 G35 coupe 6spd manual and Im having a weird whining noise and whirring noise during revving on startup in neutral. Sound is unnoticeable and maybe unexistent when driving the car. Shifts smooth through all gears and doesnt sound like its coming directly from the motor. Sound is especially prominent when I rev it up and then let the rpms drop. sounds like a buzzing or whirring sound. I also have a high pitch squeak sound which i initially thought was a belt problem but now im thinking otherwise. I have narrowed it down to two guesses of my own. One, there is a bad pulley (likely the idler/tension pulley) whirring and causing belt slip and problems with idle. Two, my throwout bearing or entire clutch is bad and needs replacing. FYI: I bought the car with a stage 2 clutch apparently with low miles but it has always been incredibly stiff even for an aftermarket clutch. I have tried to attach a video but it wont let me

. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:17 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,463 Likes on 2,155 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Cheapo stage 2 clutches are nothing more than a stiffer pressure plate, this would explain the stuff clutch pedal.

As for the whirring sound, remove both drive belts, spin all the pulleys by hand to see what condition they're in. Go down to a parts house and spin a brand new idler so you have a point of reference.

Also, you need to buy belt tensioner tools so you can get them PROPERLY tightened. It's basically a torque wrench for your drive belts, they're called Krikit belt tools and the ones you need for the G35 are the Gates 91132 for the primary belt and 91107 for the AC belt. Without the tool you're just guessing and an overtightened belt will eat up bearings and the belt. Obviously an undertightened belt is easy to tell because it squeals on cold mornings. You can look up a video on youtube for how to use the tension gauge if you've never used one before, it's super easy, press until click, look at how many lbs force is on the belt.

Check the FSM in section MA - Maintenance for tension lbs on the belts.

https://www.nicoclub.com/infiniti-service-manuals

Welcome to the forums!

The following users liked this post:
Cliffside.G35 (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 02:07 PM
Will post a video and link. Thanks for the tips.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:16 PM
Old 04-30-2020, 11:42 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
It's got 2 doors 😂
Had similar issue with my 03 coupe as well, come to find out it was the mechanical fan pulley "we have electric I know" BUT this engine was put into several other vehicles and some were mechanical fan but anyways if you take belt off and spin the pulley and hear grinding noise its shot, you can buy a pulley delete for this from z1 it's cheap like 50 bucks come with new belt and spacer.