New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Just bought a G35c - seat problem, and transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a G35c - seat problem, and transmission

Hi,

I just took delivery of my '05 G35 coupe 6MT, black on black, 2 days ago. Just had the windows tinted 20% this morning.

My other car is a BMW Z4 3.0 SMG, and I'm keeping it. Up until now, I had owned 3 BMW's and this is my first Japnanese car. To be honest, I didn't really like the G35's styling up until a few months ago. I used to think that it's got a big **** and it looked weird. But the styling has really grown on me and I now think the rear looks so aggresive. I used to really want a 330ci, but now I much prefer the G35 coupe's styling and its uniqueness.

However, I seem to be havingt some problem with the seat. I'm 24 years old, work out/lilft weight 2 times a week, and I've never had back problems before - this is even after driving my little convertible with extremely stiff aftermarket suspension for a year. I've done about twenty 6-hour round-trips in my Z4 the past year, and never had back problem in it either. But now 2 days after driving the G35 coupe, my back gets really sore and hurts a bit after a 30~40 minutes drive. Is there anyone experiencing the same problem? Can anyone give me some tips on how to adjust the G35 coupe seat to make it more comfortable?

My initial impression after picking up my G35 is that the shifting doesn't seem very smooth compared to the '06 330i and '05 330ci I've test-driven recently. It doesn't seem to be very crisp when I push the gear-**** into a gear. Is this because the car's not broekn in yet? Will shifting smoothe out after a while?

I think I'm a pretty good stick driver, although it has been a few years since I owned a stick car. But I managed to stall the G35 coupe 3 or 4 times the 1st 2 days I've had it. From a dead-stop, it seems to be harder to find the clutch engaging point to get the car going in 1st gear, again, compared to the BMW's I've driven recently. But I didn't get to drive them back to back on the same day so I cannot say for sure. Is my assessment correct? Or is it just me?

Thanks in advance for any help! I appreciate it. Pictures coming soon.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:02 PM
Ugh. No one cares to help?

Old 12-03-2005, 11:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-i thinkt eh seats are very comfortable and i have not had any problems... though 1 person on the board has ranted on and on about his back, but ive not heard from him in a while. i would sugest maybe adding ina cushion ontop of it maybe???

-the transmission will never be as smooth as a bmw's witht eh inline 6. Ive driven new ones including an m coupe and 330Ci and i will admit, they're smoother. I thought the shifts were same distance for throws and about equal in how direct it was. the clutch is made fora grandpa to drive, its too light and catches late. i found that as soon as u get used to it it doesnt bothe ru. i came from driving a bmw 2002 (model) with a racing clutch and the g35's just feels to weak for me, but ive adjusted to it.

hope u enjoy the G later on, sorry to hear about this

btw, ncie color choice, same as mine 6mt as well

Old 12-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by LIUser
-i thinkt eh seats are very comfortable and i have not had any problems... though 1 person on the board has ranted on and on about his back, but ive not heard from him in a while. i would sugest maybe adding ina cushion ontop of it maybe???

-the transmission will never be as smooth as a bmw's witht eh inline 6. Ive driven new ones including an m coupe and 330Ci and i will admit, they're smoother. I thought the shifts were same distance for throws and about equal in how direct it was. the clutch is made fora grandpa to drive, its too light and catches late. i found that as soon as u get used to it it doesnt bothe ru. i came from driving a bmw 2002 (model) with a racing clutch and the g35's just feels to weak for me, but ive adjusted to it.

hope u enjoy the G later on, sorry to hear about this

btw, ncie color choice, same as mine 6mt as well
Thanks for the response :-)

I was deciding between either gray or black. Gray was my first choice. And I probably drove my salesman crazy because I changed my mind 4 times before I finally decided on black. I used to wash/wax my Z4 once a weeki, but now I live in an apartment and don't get to wash/wax my car very often. That's why I was thinking to get gray instead. But black just looks so badass when clean, especially with tinted windows!!

I drove the G35 coupe for another 60 miles today. I didn't really have to go anywhere, but I just drove. It's a lot of fun driving the G35. My back didn't seem to get very sore so I'm glad. The SMG is still very fun to drive and shifting is lighting quick in sport mode, but I'm so happy to be shifting and clutching on my own again! Rev-matching, heel and toe, i's just like riding a bike or swimming- they all come back so naturally.

I come home and park the G35 in the apartment's underground garage right next to my Z4, and I just think, DAMN, I can't believe I'm so lucky so own such fun cars!

Last edited by GP20; 12-03-2005 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:35 AM
im 5'11'' 165 and after about 35 min i get lower back aches in the G...seat adjustments and all dont help...dunno what it is!!

Old 12-04-2005, 12:39 AM
im 5'11'' 165 and after about 35 min i get lower back aches in the G...seat adjustments and all dont help...dunno what it is!!
i'm 5'11" and 165 too, heh, you're defective, my back feels fine while driving.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:56 AM
Make sure your wallet isn't in your back pocket-It helps.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:00 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
I felt the same earlier this year when i got my G in march... 05 6mt Coupe DG. After driving it around and focusing on learning the clutch, it now come naturally. (been driving manual cars for most of 12 years now). It takes time, and how much fun it is learning!!!
as for the seat, My last two cars I had trouble finding the right seat adjustments. (Im 5'10" and 180lbs) and I tell you now with 11000+ miles, I love this seat. I think the break in period sucks but I now know how confortable it is after driving another car (like a Loaner g35X) and getting back into my ride. I almost hate having the dealer take it cause the seat will get moved. But overall I have learned somethings,
1. Dont carry stuff in your pockets-EG-cell phone in side pockets, wallets, or keys. these all hinder a proper seat fit.
2. The pressing in the leg on the controls side will go away as the seat breaks in.
3. even though i say its comfortable, I still find now and then myself making minor adjustments to the seats. but overall I am happy and very comfortable in them.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:58 AM
Suck it up.

Old 12-04-2005, 07:03 AM
There are some cars that people shouldn't buy if they have back problems, but the G35 isn't one of them. For example because of its very stiff suspension setup, I wouldn't recommend any of the 911 models, especially 993 or earlier. I love Porsches but I won't buy another one because of my back. The G on the other hand provides a very comfortable ride especially when you consider its sports suspension setup and 19" tires.

The only thing I'd recommend is adjusting the seat and lumbar support until you find a driving position that's ideal for your body. Also, experiment with the distance of your seat from the steering wheel. Maybe you are either a little too close or far away from the steering wheel. Good luck.

Old 12-04-2005, 07:50 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Welcome aboard GP20....
Hope you enjoy the new ride

Here's a couple of points to consider.....

Originally Posted by GP20
Hi,
I just took delivery of my '05 G35 coupe 6MT, black on black, 2 days ago. Just had the windows tinted 20% this morning.
However, I seem to be havingt some problem with the seat. ........,
my back gets really sore and hurts a bit after a 30~40 minutes drive. Is there anyone experiencing the same problem? Can anyone give me some tips on how to adjust the G35 coupe seat to make it more comfortable?
Is it a lumbar suport issue?
Due to many diff body types, sometimes it just doesn't catch you in the right spot.
If so there are several lumbar correction options.
Seats can easily be retrofitted by a good upholstery shop.
Inflatable bladders, or adding foam, etc. Not too expensive either...

Originally Posted by GP20
My initial impression after picking up my G35 is that the shifting doesn't seem very smooth compared to the '06 330i and '05 330ci I've test-driven recently. It doesn't seem to be very crisp when I push the gear-**** into a gear. Is this because the car's not broekn in yet? Will shifting smoothe out after a while?
Thanks in advance for any help! I appreciate it. Pictures coming soon.
I don't have personal experience with the MT on the G35,
but many have improved shifting by simply changing the shift ****.
Shorter, smaller & with more weight. (several threads on this topic if you search)
& there is also aftermarket shift kits as well.

Hope this helps...

Old 12-04-2005, 07:51 AM
Premier Member

These cars do not shift as smooth as others. A Saab 9.5 is much smoother but that is just the way G's are. Semi luxury with a muscle car feel.

Mine actually seems to have mood swings, nothing major but some times it is smoother that other times.

The good news is you can shift the crap out of them.

As for the seats I have never had a more comfortable seat but others have had problems with their back. Try adjusting the steering wheel and seats in all the positions.

Good luck!

Old 12-04-2005, 10:14 AM
How does the G's 6MT compare to the SMG?

Old 12-04-2005, 10:23 AM
It took me a while to get the seat adjusted. I'm 5'-6" and I have an '88 M3. In the bimmer, I can get the seat low, and i intentionally sit upright and close to the wheel. At first i felt I couldn't get the G35 seat low enough - it seems to ramp up as you get closer. I've since learned to sit in a more reclined position, with the seat set back and it is good now - haven't tried a long trip.

There is a lumbar adjustment in the G35 too.

As for the stick - I probably can't give insight between a 17 year old bimmer and a new inifiniti, but the clutch engagement point is different.

Old 12-04-2005, 10:41 AM
I felt the same at first. After 6-10k mi. and proper break-in the car will drive better. After a few mo. you will also get used to the car . I find the G35 coupe 6mt clutch to be very sensitive to gas, release & engagement points. After 6k mi. & 5 mo. of driving I can easily feel, understand the cars clutch characteristics.

Once car is warm, the engagement becomes smother.

Trust me. ( give it time )

enjoy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just bought a G35c - seat problem, and transmission