NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

Sketchy Officer.Bull**** ticket, and dilemma

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sketchy Officer.Bull**** ticket, and dilemma

So I was driving with a friend to the mall, and hit a 30 MPH zone. I was going about 35. My friend noticed a cop on the other side of the road. So I slowed down. Well I guess that was a little too late because he had turned around and turned his lights on. I pull over and he comes over to ask me for my license and registration. He says I was going 45 in the 30 MPH zone which is completely bull****. So after waiting like 5 minutes he gets back to me and says "Look, you seem like a nice guy you aren't giving me a hard time. I am going to make this ticket a "Failure to observe traffic control signal". He then explains all the things on the ticket like you need to appear in court by this date and plead on the back and stuff. He also explains to me that there is no points and that the insurance rates don't go up. But he then says something that I find really really sketchy. He says that if I plead not guilty, he will have to tell the judge that I was speeding.

The dilemma I have is this. I am from Jersey so regardless if it is a speeding ticket or anything else, I am getting 2 points anyway. Now do I plead non guilty and hope that I can just pay a fine or do I skip all that and just plead guilty. The ticket also has no fine or anything and hopefully I can convince the prosecuter to let me off with no summons or anything or a non-moving violation. The ticket right now has no summons issued on it. This is really really weird. The violations on the ticket for all New York is 1110(a).

Any advice would be appreciated. I feel like the reason he really pulled me over is because of the Ivory Pearl G35 and Cornell License plates. The relationships with the Cayuga Heights Police Department and Cornell students is not that great. So that can be a motivating factor.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Weird post, very confusing. So you got a ticket for no points and no fine but you want to fight it anyway... I assume you're saying that if a NJ driver gets ticketed in NY they automatically get points? Sounds bizarre, I've gotten 3111's before (PA version of failure to yield) and it's a straight $100 fine with no points, no nothing. Sounds like it should be easy to beat. If you plead not guilty I'd guess he'd probably not going to pursue it at all (PITA for such a small BS ticket), and if he charges you with speeding he has no proof, he never wrote you up for it, no record of the incident other than the ticket he did write, with no mention of speeding, thus admitting that he falsified a document knowing that he was originally writing you up for an infraction you never comitted, etc, etc. but I could be wrong. If you can easily show up in court at the appropriate time the battle is definately worth it, I'd guess there's a great chance of having it tossed out all together.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Well I mean the problem is that the ticket has nothing about fines or points but I looked the violation online and its 3 points in New York. I think I'll head over to the Police Department and see what the deal is. To see what the fines is and what not. The whole situation is confusing to me. I may just plead guilty see if there are points and if anything then fight it. But I want to make sure that I am not getting any points.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HuRR
Well I mean the problem is that the ticket has nothing about fines or points but I looked the violation online and its 3 points in New York. I think I'll head over to the Police Department and see what the deal is. To see what the fines is and what not. The whole situation is confusing to me. I may just plead guilty see if there are points and if anything then fight it. But I want to make sure that I am not getting any points.
Don't go to the PD go to a lawyer.... most lawyers give free consultations and they will tell you if it's worth fighting. If you don't need them they they will tell you. the $100 bucks isnt worth the time to them unless you really need them.