Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome to Taxachusetts!!!

As if we aren't already having the gas prices stuck up our @sses

http://bostonherald.com/news/regiona...icleid=1095213

Pols say Turnpike board eyes tolls on more roads

Beacon Hill lawmakers blasted a Turnpike move yesterday to count cars on the Zakim Bridge and other arteries in Boston as a thinly veiled push to put up new tolls - even as officials insisted that isn’t the case.

“Why else would you do it?” said longtime toll foe Sen. Steve Baddour (D-Methuen) of the decision to measure traffic volume. “It’s almost as if they’re desperate for more revenue.”

The final tally will tell state officials how much they could rake in if tolls were put in place in key spots around the Hub such as on the Leonard Zakim bridge and in the Tip O’Neill Tunnel under Boston.

“It seems like they’re still interested in (adding tolls), and right now, given the price of gas, we need to be very, very wary of any further increases on the commuting public,” said Sen. Steve Panagiotakos (D-Lowell).

Both Transportation Secretary Bernard Cohen and Gov. Deval Patrick insisted there are no plans for new tolls yesterday, saying the focus is on cutting costs within the Transportation Department.

But the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority has been studying placing tolls on Interstate 93 since earlier this year.

And Cohen, while denying any immediate plans for new tolls, has said all options are being reviewed as the Turnpike Authority gathers information about traffic flow.

The traffic-counting move casts suspicion on the insistance that no new tolls are currently in the works, lawmakers said.

“It’s time for the right hand to realize what the left hand is doing,” Baddour said.

The new tolls would address complaints of toll inequity from western Massachusetts drivers, and the extra cash would come in handy as the Pike struggles financially.

“I think it’s going to be difficult to pay off the Big Dig simply by cost reduction,” said Turnpike Authority Board member Mary Connaughton, who supports putting up new tolls.

Both Baddour and Panagiotakos vowed to fight any new tolls, and tax watchdog Barbara Anderson said already-strapped drivers would rebel.

“You’d be talking a major driver revolution,” said Anderson, executive director of Citizens for Limited Taxation. “People won’t tolerate it.”

Old 05-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes I don't know why I still live in this state, then I watch The Hills on MTV and realize why I still do.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:09 PM
HAHAHA OMFG i love this smiley...

Old 05-20-2008, 02:18 PM
^LMAO...I've got a bunch of them.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3Point5Sedan
Sometimes I don't know why I still live in this state, then I watch The Hills on MTV and realize why I still do.
I always ask myself the same question, and end up with an answer similar to yours lol

Old 05-20-2008, 03:27 PM
....i love the sports here? lol..but yea..getting wayy too expensive nowadays

Old 05-20-2008, 04:27 PM
^Everything is this effin state wants us to pay for their muck ups ....going over cost on the Big Mess (Dig), that ceiling collapse that killed that lady...I man fawk I rode the train the other day for the 1st time in a minute and the damn train fare is now 2.00 . Gallon of milk in the market is just as much as a gallon of gas...God I hate politcs!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:32 PM
It really is getting out of control, the worst part is people aren't really doing anything about it. Were getting screwed meanwhile State Troopers are making 100,000 their first year on the job sleeping in their cruisers everytime theires road construction.
Its really backwards around here, I just dont get some of the stuff they spend money on, it makes no sense.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3Point5Sedan
It really is getting out of control, the worst part is people aren't really doing anything about it. Were getting screwed meanwhile State Troopers are making 100,000 their first year on the job sleeping in their cruisers everytime theires road construction.
Its really backwards around here, I just dont get some of the stuff they spend money on, it makes no sense.

When you see a State Trooper sleeping in his car he is on detail...He is being paid by the construction Co. not our taxes...

But I do agree with the prices in this state it is rediculous and I don't even live in Boston

Old 05-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
LOL come to RI we only have 1 toll I think maybe 2

Old 05-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
or you could live in CT where there is no tolls but astronimcal gas prices

Old 05-20-2008, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=Hi-Tech_G]As if we aren't already having the gas prices stuck up our @sses

Move to CT and talk about taxes and fuel prices. Preimum in Mass is Regular in CT. I love filling my tank at Mass prices vs CT.

Tolls on the other hand are ridiculous, pay money to drive on roads that suck.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
**** this... makes me wanna go back to the Islands with my G......haha

Old 05-20-2008, 11:49 PM
haha i always hated mass

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.