NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

All The Real Hip Hop Heads Check This Out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
All The Real Hip Hop Heads Check This Out

If you are from Boston/Greater Boston or wherever and want to support this spot make a donation (mail it to them, call them up, drop it off etc). I remember this record store when I was like 10 years old and they released brand new stuff days in advance before it hitting retails chains

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...rt_of_roxbury/

They come for the music and the friendship. But these days, custom
ers at Funky Fresh Records in Dudley Square are coming to say farewell.

"I was heated when I heard it, yo," said one man recently after word got out that the go-to spot for hip-hop in Roxbury will be closing next week. "You always got everything."

Added another, "You've been here for 20 years. I thought you'd be here forever."

After two decades on Warren Street in the heart of Roxbury, Funky Fresh is saying farewell Oct. 1. But owner Rusty Pendleton (a.k.a. Mr. Funky Fresh) isn't going down without a fight. In a scathing flier distributed in the neighborhood, Pendleton slammed the bootleggers, the downloading culture, and the big chain stores with their bulk and discounts as reasons for his shop's demise.

He's mounted a final effort to save the store, staging a giant goodbye party tomorrow night at Club Night Games in Somerville to help raise money.

"It's a wake-up call for people, and the wake-up call is that we need to support our black businesses in our community," said Pendleton, 42, sitting in his shop last week and reflecting on the journey that led him to Funky Fresh. "I'm not making it seem like it's all about me, but I'm the one leading the charge right now. . . . Once you lose the business in your community, what do you think the chains are going to do? Move closer. Sooner or later there will be no independent stores in your community. The word has to go out."

Pendleton's announcement that he was closing - made on Touch 106.1 FM over Labor Day weekend - sparked some support. Hip-hop websites urged their following to flock to Funky Fresh and show some love. Long-gone customers began turning up. Some stocked up on CDs. Others plunked $5, $10, $20 bills into a bottle on the counter.

"He's the last of the Mohicans, the last of the record store," said Cindy Diggs, community activist, founder of Peace Boston, and a leader in Boston's hip-hop community also known as "Mother Hip-Hop."

Diggs said Pendleton is "information central" on Boston music. Up and coming artists stop in to find out what's happening in the recording industry, and Pendleton said he also provides information to the industry about who's hot in Boston.

"You can go to the chain stores," said Diggs, "but they don't know anything."

Diggs said her group produced a CD called "Peace in the Streets" and Pendleton agreed to waive his store's consignment fee. She said proceeds for the project would help establish a burial fund for the Louis D. Brown Peace Institute, which assists and supports families of homicide victims.

Peace Boston also held a vote-a-thon and peace-a-thon at the store Sunday, which drew 50 people, Diggs said.

Pendleton, of the South End, got his start as the popular street DJ "Rusty the Toejammer" (he used to spin records with his feet).

"I've been knowing and loving music all my life," he said. "Music is all I know."

Reality - by way of a daughter - stepped in. Pendleton had to get a job to help support her, so he started at Spin City on Warren Street. About six years later, luck intervened. The owner moved to Atlanta, and Pendleton bought the shop, changing its name to Funky Fresh Records.

Pendleton runs Funky Fresh with street wit and love. His customers know their stuff. They seldom browse in the store, filled with giant posters and boxes of CDs behind the counter.

"There's nothing about music that I don't know - what was, what is, what's coming," he said.

On the streets of Dudley Square yesterday, support was strong for Funky Fresh, even from those who acknowledge that they haven't set foot in his store for months or years.

"He's held down Roxbury," said Tyrone Powers, who said he hasn't been in for months.

Drew Suttles said the store will leave a void. "It's like a monument that's closing down."

But even the extended Funky Fresh family might not be enough to keep the store from shutting. Pendleton's bills are piling up. His landlord is taking him to court tomorrow over the rent. A shut-off notice from NStar sits on the counter. Pendleton said he needs $10,000 to stay afloat.

He held a drive for donations Saturday outside the store.

Five people showed up

Old 09-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a scathing flier distributed in the neighborhood, Pendleton slammed the bootleggers, the downloading culture, and the big chain stores with their bulk and discounts as reasons for his shop's demise.
I commend everyone trying to keep the store alive. The sad fact is that the quoted line from the story is reality. Its only going to get worse and the fact that small mom and pop stores are closing sucks. The only ones that can compete are the larger chains (Best Buy, CC, Newb. Comics and online music sites).

I have been downloading music for years now(since the days of AOL chat rooms. Wow am I old ), its just the way the industry is evolving and those that cant adjust are left behind...

If you need the latest rap/hiphop/r&b/software/fap material/mixtapes/bootlegs PM me for the site addr (make sure u have a good popup blocker).

Last edited by ZDriver12; 09-24-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
^Yeah it sucks. I mean these guys were awesome. I too download music but I always end up going out and buying the original copies. Sent you a PM too to check out some of the sites.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Banned
yeah Funky Fresh is like a monument in Dudley Square. Its been there as long as I can remember. I used to cut class in highschool and walk down to get music and posters growing up.

I still pass the store everyday on my way to and from work

its gonna be sad to see it go if he can't come up with the 10k he needs

Old 09-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi-teck PM sent!

FYI - I never got the PM, think u used the wrong name.