NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

Richmond/Henrico/Petersburg/Colonial Hgts G group

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.88 average.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:31 AM
CLUB MODERATOR

Received 189 Likes on 138 Posts
i gotta look for it or alternative is get it off of driver for the DIY. If you wanna come around noon, that will work.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Received 318 Likes on 221 Posts
thats fine with me, ill look for the DIY if anything can use my car as a map

Old 05-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to go to our Fairfax office's on Friday which could mean I am back by 2/3 or back by 8/9. Just depends when I get out of there and if traffic starts early or not. I do not work weekends (corporate America ftw!) so hopefully I can get back Friday in time if that works? But the engine has to be cool to the touch so maybe not?

Old 05-08-2012, 12:22 PM
yeah you wont be back in time to do any work at any reasonable hours of the afternoon/night

if your not below the belt way on 95 south by 230 sharp its pretty much a done deal, and it being friday be on 95 right after lunch im up there a lot for work and thats what ive come to know

im still open saturday just might not have any other help and i will read over the ISO thermal install since those instructions come with every plenum spacer install like i said i really just need to see whats up with that coolant bypass mod

Old 05-08-2012, 12:46 PM
CLUB MODERATOR

Received 189 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by rhampsterwha2
yeah you wont be back in time to do any work at any reasonable hours of the afternoon/night

if your not below the belt way on 95 south by 230 sharp its pretty much a done deal, and it being friday be on 95 right after lunch im up there a lot for work and thats what ive come to know

im still open saturday just might not have any other help and i will read over the ISO thermal install since those instructions come with every plenum spacer install like i said i really just need to see whats up with that coolant bypass mod
The instructions should be fairly easy to read and task should be manageable in order to get the ISO installed on Lee's G.......if you need an extra hand, i should be able to help out if we start on it Saturday morning, say......around 10ish and should be able to install by 11 ish or so.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:55 PM
yeah is just an extra gasket on the bottom and the coolant bypas valve, the gasket is easy just 3 more bolts to take the lower collector off the other i know involves cutting the coolant line in the back and placing a valve in there i guess its for when it gets cold you can shut off the coolant to the TB so it doesnt freeze

Old 05-08-2012, 01:04 PM
the way the instructions say it doesnt really matter about that valve....

its just installed in one line and above 55deg F its closed and below 55deg F its open

Lee we can skip that part if you think you will never drive the car in 13C or less LOL especially if you want to install the heated copper TB spacer

Old 05-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by G 30-FI
The instructions should be fairly easy to read and task should be manageable in order to get the ISO installed on Lee's G.......if you need an extra hand, i should be able to help out if we start on it Saturday morning, say......around 10ish and should be able to install by 11 ish or so.
10 on Saturday works for me. Ill bring the coffee of choice.

Originally Posted by rhampsterwha2
the way the instructions say it doesnt really matter about that valve....

its just installed in one line and above 55deg F its closed and below 55deg F its open

Lee we can skip that part if you think you will never drive the car in 13C or less LOL especially if you want to install the heated copper TB spacer
I read over the instructions when I get the spacer and I think the copper Iso does not have to cut anything?? Considering 13 degrees Celsius is 55 deg F I think should install it? Who knows?? Is that what I paid extra for? So cornfuzzled now

Old 05-08-2012, 01:57 PM
the whole point in the ISO thermal parts over regular plenum install is the driving conditions if your not going to drive it in temps below 13C then its not really needed IMO and thats why most people get the regular plenum spacer, the copper ISO has that copper throttle body spacer w/ heating element that will keep the TB from freezing

this is where i read that: http://www.motordyneengineering.com/manual.pdf

itl make a subtle change when it hot outside (bypass closed) therefore no coolant can heat up the TB and plenum keeping the intake tepms down and vise versa for cold temps will keep TB from freezing

Last edited by rhampsterwha2; 05-08-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:15 PM
I got the iso copper beacuse I never want to think about having to remember to close or open the bypass. 13C is 55F so obv I would be driving in temps below that considering in usual winters (not this past one) its in the 30's most times and doesn't get above 50s (most years, again, not this one) until after March or so. Am I correct or am I confused still?

Old 05-08-2012, 02:54 PM
the valve is open when cold (just like not even installing it) and when the temps get hot its closed to remove un needed hot coolant from the TB

i have the regular plenum w/o the valve and ive never had a problem bc the coolant can flow all the time..... so basically install it if you care that much about intake temps on hot days it doesnt appear to have any pros or cons having it or not having it.... we will def install the copper TB spacer that stops the freezing

only thing i can think of that could be a bad thing would be leaving the valve closed (like you forgot to open it up for winter) and your TB froze

Last edited by rhampsterwha2; 05-08-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the valve would take less then 5min so id jus do it. they gave it to you for a reason.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The valve is only needed if you drive the car in harsh below freezing conditions. It's to provide additional cooling most of the time, however you turn it off in cold conditions so the TB doesn't freeze. That simple.

There are 2 extra items in the isothermal kit - The isothermal gasket that goes between the intake manifold and the lower plenum. This prevents excess heat transfer from the engine/intake manifold.. so your entire plenum stays cool. Even after driving the car hard, the plenum is usually cool to the touch if you install this part. It keeps the air cooler in the collector (plenum) and thus increases the density of the air slightly.

***The isothermal gasket requires you to remove the lower plenum for installation whereas the basic spacer does not. There is a specific pattern and torque spec to putting the lower plenum back on, so be EXTRA careful with this. The bolts around the edges of the plenum also have torque specs, but if you're experienced enough wrenching on cars you can tighten all bolts until they stop turning without force. Then one quarter turn after this. Should be roughly 12 ft lbs. Only reason I mention this is that it's actually pretty difficult to track down a torque wrench that will go down to measurements that low, so it's easier by hand.

The copper throttle body spacer introduces coolant to the TB to cool down even more, but once again in the winter you close the valve so it doesn't freeze up your TB.

Note: I've personally installed 5 of these suckers. Make sure to stuff the openings in your plenum with paper towels so you don't drop the plastic spacers down into your cylinders. (I did that the first time)

Old 05-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by TehG35
The valve is only needed if you drive the car in harsh below freezing conditions. It's to provide additional cooling most of the time, however you turn it off in cold conditions so the TB doesn't freeze. That simple.

There are 2 extra items in the isothermal kit - The isothermal gasket that goes between the intake manifold and the lower plenum. This prevents excess heat transfer from the engine/intake manifold.. so your entire plenum stays cool. Even after driving the car hard, the plenum is usually cool to the touch if you install this part. It keeps the air cooler in the collector (plenum) and thus increases the density of the air slightly.

***The isothermal gasket requires you to remove the lower plenum for installation whereas the basic spacer does not. There is a specific pattern and torque spec to putting the lower plenum back on, so be EXTRA careful with this. The bolts around the edges of the plenum also have torque specs, but if you're experienced enough wrenching on cars you can tighten all bolts until they stop turning without force. Then one quarter turn after this. Should be roughly 12 ft lbs. Only reason I mention this is that it's actually pretty difficult to track down a torque wrench that will go down to measurements that low, so it's easier by hand.

The copper throttle body spacer introduces coolant to the TB to cool down even more, but once again in the winter you close the valve so it doesn't freeze up your TB.

Note: I've personally installed 5 of these suckers. Make sure to stuff the openings in your plenum with paper towels so you don't drop the plastic spacers down into your cylinders. (I did that the first time)
Think you can make it to install time on Saturday?

Old 05-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by G35RVA
Think you can make it to install time on Saturday?
Not gonna lie, I only have 2 more weekends left in town, so I've got some things to do. Plus I forsee myself hitting up happy hour on Friday after work

In all seriousness though, I always like hanging around and helping out.. so I'll set a reminder and play it by ear. My car is up getting front tires mounted right now. Just put on rear brakes last night after work... trying to diagnose a pretty serious shimmy in my AWD drivetrain. My engineering background is all pointing toward the center differential... because of the fresh rear tires and the mildly worn down fronts.... so hopefully it's not already too late and the new tires should take some stress off of my seriously confused drivetrain... but if the car isn't driving right I'll be trying to keep the miles off of it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.88 average.

Quick Reply: Richmond/Henrico/Petersburg/Colonial Hgts G group