Are you familiar with NYC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:06 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Are you familiar with NYC?

Specifically, Manhattan?

If you are, please let me know what neighborhoods you live or want to live in.

What I mean by that is that which neigborhood would have:

- less crime
- close to The Financial District
- close to trains
- would less likely have a home robbery in progess when you come home

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Old 02-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
- Crime in NYC is not bad. I've never had any issues and I've been around for over 10 years.
- Doesn't really matter how close you are to wall st because you're always close to public transportation.

Most people live outside Manhattan though because of obvious reasons. Plus apts are really crappy unless you're willing to pay like 10k a month

I would probably do upper west side because it's more civilized and not as crowded/noisy as the lower part of Manhattan. The closer you get to the village the more chaotic things get. It would probably take about 1 hour to get downtown in the morning...door to door...on the train.

If you lived 20 miles into NJ or Long Island and you took a train or express bus it would also take you about 1 hour to be downtown...door to door.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Live in Jersey

Old 02-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
^^^I don't think you want to live in Jersey with cops like this around...

Supplying minors with marijuana and cocaine and then banging them. Nice job officer.

http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-newark...,2610520.story

Early this morning, FBI agents arrested Michael J. Lalley, 42, a Sergeant in the Newark Police Department, at his residence located at 3 Twin Oaks Court, Jackson, New Jersey on a federal charge of obstruction of justice. (NEWARK PD / February 17, 2010)

NEWARK, N.J. (WPIX) - A 20-year-veteran of the Newark police force is behind bars for allegedly covering up sexual relationships with minors by supplying them with cocaine and marijuana.

FBI agents arrested Michael J. Lally, 42, at his Jackson home Wednesday on a federal charge of obstruction of justice for allegedly advising one of his victims to lie to federal investigators.

FBI officials launched a probe into Lally's dealings last spring, after receiving reports that he engaged in sexually explicit acts with several minors and had the minors engage in sexual acts with each other, with him and with third parties

The sex romps reportedly took place at Lally's home and at the Newark police station where he was employed.

Lalley allegedly contacted the victim Jan. 4 and urged him to lie about their sexual relationship. Officials say in taped phone conversations on Jan. 12 and 19, Lalley continued to direct the victim to conceal their sexual relationships and persuaded him to reach out to two other victims and direct them to do the same.

In addition, Lalley allegedly shelled out up to $60 for sex once or twice a week over a period of two years to have sex with another minor.

He is due to appear before a judge in federal court in Newark Monday afternoon.

Lalley, who was promoted to Sergeant in January 2006, was placed on administrative duty last month, according to officials with the Newark Police Department.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Manhattan is not a place to live in and own a car. You'll live in LES and end up having to park in Midtown.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Everywhere in Manhattan is close to trains.

We have no idea what your budget for living is or will be, so there really no way to point you to a part to live in.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
So are you moving to the East coast?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:14 PM
well not so much live in newark, but live in the other suburban areas

Old 02-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grew up in Queens now I live in NJ. If u want to live in Manhattan ditch the G IMO, you won't need it. Upper West Side is nice, upper East Side too. Will cost you $$$. Northern Queens is doable. Bayside, Whitestone area but the commute into Manhattan is a drag, same for Northern-Central Jersey.

Last edited by Xman; 02-20-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Everybody says you don't need a car in NYC, which is true. But for me a car is a must.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Look into Battery Park, but then again I don't know your budget. but if you want to live in the city city. there's def no need for a car at all. but you get more bang for your buck in DUMBO Brooklyn. also you can keep your G if you live anywhere besides the city. IMO, also your a few minutes from the city!! check out http://dumbonyc.com/

But as far as crime goes, that's pretty much anywhere in the world. but NYC **** happens anywhere. train, bus, jogging etc.

(this is battery park area)

Last edited by JAYY-G35; 02-21-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Wow! Thank you guys!

My business has exploded yet again and now I'm having to fly to Manhattan almost on a weekly basis. I'm dealing directly with large financial institutions such as Citibank and Chase and my line of work is requiring me to be in NYC at least every week, so far. The rental will just be a temporary basis, for about 1 year. I'm still a Cali girl. I was in NYC last week and I'm allergic to cold, especially when the high for that day was a balmy 21 degrees F.

Hotels can be expensive and I factored in all the extra expenses such as food, transporation and whatever else may come up. I've decided that it would be more pratical for me to rent for 1 year on a 1 bedroom or a studio that I can utilize whenever I'm there and perhaps lend my apartment to friends when I'm not using it.

The location I need to be near to is the Financial District. I do have a budget, about $3K a month maximum for rental. I figured that should be sufficient for a studio at least, right?. If I were to stay in a hotel everytime I fly to NYC, I figured it would cost me close to $10K a month. For practicality purpose, I'd decided to rent rather than stay at a hotel.

From looking at the map above, the Tribeca or SoHo districts would make more sense to me since it's near where I need to be.

Any opinions on those 2 districts? I know The Tribeca is very artsy which I love... lots to see.

Thank you everybody! Please let me know of your opinion on the 2 districts.

P.S. LOVE Battery Park. Yes, please include your opinions on Battery Park as well. Thank you everybody!

Last edited by G-girl; 02-21-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:18 PM
battery park is a nice place. i'd say go for battery park

and the fellas here are right. no need for a G in NYC

Old 02-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
honestly ..

most places other than the projects ...are nice places to live .. lol..

there are a few new buildings with lots of vacancy's near "south street seaport" ..
very close to "wall st" .. security 24/7 ..

battery park area is beautiful .and safe at all hours ..

check out this link ..

http://www.nestseekers.com/Neighborh...y_Park/Rentals

hope it helps ...

Old 02-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^True, you can't go wrong with Battery Park. Tibeca's fun for shopping and stuff though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are you familiar with NYC?