NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

Tail Light Water Condensation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Tail Light Water Condensation

I been having a decent amount of water condensation in my Passenger tail light for almost a month if not longer. I removed the tail light once and didn't see any noticeable cracks or minor holes of some sort. Every time I wash my car I see some runs of water going down the inside of the taillight. Even though I see the runs, I never see a build up of water inside on the bottom or anywhere in the tail light. I don't know If it's a crack or just condensation. What should I do to resolve this? I hear they have machines that can take out water condensation. I might try this first but can it maybe be an unfix-able issue?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
If you remove the light assembly and blow it out with some compressed air, does it again build up condensation?
It could be something simple like the bulb not sealing in correctly, or more likely, the lens seperating slightly from the rest of the assembly. A little silicone could fix it.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:55 PM
I didn't know I can remove the bulbs, I thought the leds are built in and cant be changed. I will remove and try to vacuum out the water then re silicone the edges.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:52 PM
I removed the lamps and dried it up with a hair dryer. Then I applied some silicone to the edges just in case. Yesterday I looked at the lamp after a day outside and It seems to still have this condensation. It looks like the water is coming from the top of the tail lamp. I can't tell If its condensation or a leak. I will wash the car tomorrow and see if the condensation gets worse or not. Should I try something else to repair before I buy another tail light?

Old 02-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the time it's the little grommet around one of the light bulbs that gets old and starts letting water in. Check/replace that first. Our turn signals are not LEDs.

I wouldn't replace the whole thing. Just apply some clear silicone around the whole thing to seal it up. Just keep in mind that silicone shrinks a little when it dries so you might have to do it more than once.