NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

Legal Question Regarding Vehicle Purchased From VA Dealership

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Legal Question Regarding Vehicle Purchased From VA Dealership

Hey guys,

I had recently bought a vehicle from a dealership in VA (Chantilly Auto Sales)

When i purchased the vehicle i was ensured that every vehicle that they sell has already passed a VA inspection yet upon bringing the vehicle back to my home state MD there were several items that were in need of immediate repair and would not have passed inspection in VA if one had been done.

There was a hole in the floorboard behind the drivers seat as well as a hole in the muffler and some other odds and ends such as 18% tint on all windows(which also would not have passed VA inspection.

All in all i have had to spend just about a grand for this vehicle to pass MD inspection and i am wondering if i have any kind of recourse to get this money recouped.

I did not buy a warranty and vehicle was sold as is, and I understand that. But it is also VA law that any vehicle sold at retail in VA must pass inspection prior to being added to inventory.

Is this something i should speak with an attorney about. Report to better Business Bureau?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

JOHN

Old 09-07-2013, 07:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd think you would be hard pressed to go after the dealer, unless they did the inspection themselves/or affiliated garage. You could have a valid case against the actual inspector. You could try to have a lawyer send a letter asking for partial reimbursement instead of a full blown lawsuit but if they didn't bite you'd be out the cost of the lawyer too. VA inspections are only about 20 bucks and aren't worth much anyway. Next time ask if they will allow you to take the car to a mechanic and have them go through the car. I had a pre purchase inspection done for $150, took the result to the dealer, and they split the cost (3K) of the found issues 50/50. BBB wouldn't be much help with these wholesalers though since it was an as is sale.