Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Busted Clocked Me At 96 Mph On Smb Today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Cali Event Coordinator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BASE ACURA TLX NOW WANT A G35 AGAIN THOUGH
Busted Clocked Me At 96 Mph On Smb Today

So what now? Pay the fine? I haven't had a tix since 1998.
Last one was for a rolling stop.
That's not considered wreckless driving is it (31mph) over 65?
Probably a fine of $200-$400.00 I'm guessing + Traffic School?

At least he didn't get me for:
1) NO FRONT PLATE
2) DVD SET UP
3) TINTED WINDOWS
4) DIDN'T HAVE MY REG AND PROOF OF INSURANCE

oh well....

damn BMW...had to school him and I ended up paying the price

BoBs

Old 06-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In California only 100+ mph is considered reckless.

88 in a 65 zone was 131, 90+ in a 45 is 321 with no traffic school.

If they don't offer traffic school then you can ask the court for it, since you haven't had a ticket in such a long time.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:31 PM
also...you prob. drive wreckless almost every day...

Very few days are reckless though.

Old 06-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Cali Event Coordinator
even after the ticket, i was driving the same....he was cool about everything...even said i had a nice ride...gave me props but to just watch my speed....i didn't have my reg and proof of insurance...

forgot, i have an intake under the hood and a slim jim which i carry around for work in the trunk since i'm the locksmith at the car dealer where i work at...he just wrote me up and said drive safely....i was like ok....sorry....the weather is perfect and the music was thumping....

i go, should i get a slower car like a hybrid? he goes...no....just watch out for me....i'm like fair enough...! those prices aren't too bad...131 @ 88 in a 65...seems fair...i'm going to ask for traffic school...

online now huh?

Old 06-20-2006, 07:10 PM
traffic101 is the one I did. Took me about 35 minutes from the moment I entered my credit card until I took the final. You don't need to go to a actual location for the traffic school...you can do it online. For the final they use a webcam to record you taking the final. They will send you a webcam if you want, but I already had one so I just used that.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
hmmm...forgot how long ago it was...maybe 1 or 2 yrs ago, but there was no traffic and engineering survey done on the SMB.

at least three tickets were thrown out in court when I was there. don't know if they've since perofrmed this survey, but without a survey, the SMB is considered a speed trap.

if you feel up to it, you'll need to find out if a survey has been performed or not. not sure how to go about doing this.

good luck

Old 06-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
smb is the san mateo brigde (aka SR92) right....

i could have sworn 20+ over posted speed limit will disqualify you for traffic school unless he wrote something even less on the ticket.... that is odd cause a chp in a pickup truck w/ camper clocked me at 73 in a 55mph zone and my fine was like $196 + 31 for court fees which came out to 227 out the door w/ option for traffic school.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by FenixL1P
smb is the san mateo brigde (aka SR92) right....

i could have sworn 20+ over posted speed limit will disqualify you for traffic school
I don't think so. My ticket was +30 over and I was able to do TS. This was maybe 1.5 yrs ago.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:59 PM
63 in a 35 zone, I was allowed traffic school...I think it's once you double the posted speed limit, you are not allowed traffic school

Old 06-20-2006, 08:49 PM
IQ9
What is the violation number on the ticket. I have a code book at work. Post the code number and we'll see what he got you for.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:43 PM
Where do I start? First of all, exceeding 100 MPH is not considered reckless driving. Reckless driving (23103 VC) and exceeding 100 MPH (22348(b) VC) are different sections. One is a misdemeanor the other is an infraction. Second of all, a traffic survey is not required since he was exceeding the maximum speed limit (65 MPH) in the state of California. And no, 70 MPH is not the maximum speed. 65 is unless otherwise posted. 65 is the MAXIMUM speed limit on ANY road. Let me see if I can make this easy to understand. Let's say the posted speed limit is 25 and you get a ticket for doing 40. The section would be 22350 VC- Exceeding the posted speed limit, basic speed law, prime facia, unsafe speed for conditions, (read the section) however you want to word it. Now let's say you are doing 72 in a 25 zone. You can be cited for exceeding the maximum speed limit, 22349(a) VC- exceeding 65 MPH max. It's easier to prove that in court than 22350 VC. The reason is the officer has to prove that 72 was an unsafe speed at on that roadway given all the other conditions, peds, intersections, visibility, lighting, etc...At that time, then there would have to be a traffic survey done, but that only applies to shooting radar, not getting paced. Confused? That's why radar class is a three day class. Third of all, the fines depend on how many speeding tickets you have, how many miles over the speed limit you were, and what kind of mood the judge is in. For example, I went to court on an exceeding 65 MPH max ticket. I won. The other party literally bartered the fine amount. He got the judge down to $97. I think 88 is the minimum for exceeding 65.

Just a quick deterent. I went to court on an exceeding 100 MPH ticket (which by the way is a mandatory court appearance). The party wound up pleady guilty and appologized up and down for his actions. The judge fined him $524 and suspended his license for 30 days. If i'm not mistaken, I believe this is the minimum, MANDATORY, punishment.

Last edited by g35 chippie; 06-20-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:59 AM
Cali Event Coordinator
cvc 22349 and yep SR92.....

i broke my own cardinal rule of never speeding by the toll plaza....gonna drive my company van 13 passenger for a while....damn....first tix in 10 years....DOH...!

when should I be getting my "courtesy notice"...i couldn't read the date he wrote on there....i'll scan it...the courthouse wasn't too helpful either...said there's like a 12 week backlog or something processing tix...

i'll keep everyone posted...thanks for your help guys...

BoBs

Old 06-21-2006, 11:12 AM
I believe Redwood City CHP handles that bridge. Call the area office and ask what the court date is for the day you received the citation. In Santa Clara County, if it happened this week, the court date is 08-24-06 at 9:00 am. I'm not sure what San Mateo County's court date is, but it's probably close to that. It's usually 30-45 days from the day you received the citation. Don't forget, it's a written promise to appear. Read the red box where you signed. If you don't receive a courtesy reminder, you have promised to appear in court. If you don't appear, the judge will issue a failure to appear (misdemeanor), and could suspend your license until you clear up the citation.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by g35 chippie
I believe Redwood City CHP handles that bridge. Call the area office and ask what the court date is for the day you received the citation. In Santa Clara County, if it happened this week, the court date is 08-24-06 at 9:00 am. I'm not sure what San Mateo County's court date is, but it's probably close to that. It's usually 30-45 days from the day you received the citation. Don't forget, it's a written promise to appear. Read the red box where you signed. If you don't receive a courtesy reminder, you have promised to appear in court. If you don't appear, the judge will issue a failure to appear (misdemeanor), and could suspend your license until you clear up the citation.

This is OT but is there any one thing that would persuade you to give an offender a warning vs a ticket? Also are you required to attend court for a traffic ticket if the offense is just an infraction, or do you just get paid overtime to attend court?

Thanks! These are things that I've always wanted to ask a CHP...but usually can't because everytime we've talked well...it just isn't the right time

Old 06-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Cali Event Coordinator
? - what if you are out-of-town for vacation/business trip? will the court make an exception or extension date to re-appear?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Busted Clocked Me At 96 Mph On Smb Today