Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Blinking Air bag light comes out of nowhere!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 02:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's mostly pics of the guy in my car taking the seats off and pics of the seats removed. I think there was a pic of the new connector before he reattached everything (but I'll need to find the pics in one of my backup drives)..

Update: tried procedure I found online about turning key 3X again. My light is gone. No more blinking, it's back to "normal" but I don't know for sure if Airbag is still functioning unless they do a diagnostic.

Last edited by uttarpradesh; 04-16-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:24 AM
Here's the procedure, whether it's safe or not I don't know. But my light is no longer blinking. To be safe, everyone should at least have a diagnostic afterwards to make sure Airbags are functioning normally.

Here's the process to reset the air bag light (copied from somewhere else on the forum)... I tried it and it works.

If you have the airbag light, it will show steady for a few seconds (the manual says 7 secs) after you turn the key from off to on (but not start) and then start to flash. Here is how to reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay so I go to the dealership today to follow up on my air bag light coming on after the air bag recall turns out it's a $2450 job because they are telling me the air bag module and clock spring behind steering wheel and something else is faulty. So with that being said they decided to not charge me the $150 for the diagnostic. In other words I'm completely screwed because my air bag won't work until I fix this.

Any body know anyone who knows how to install air bag components?

Old 04-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005G35xSedan
Okay so I go to the dealership today to follow up on my air bag light coming on after the air bag recall turns out it's a $2450 job because they are telling me the air bag module and clock spring behind steering wheel and something else is faulty. So with that being said they decided to not charge me the $150 for the diagnostic. In other words I'm completely screwed because my air bag won't work until I fix this.

Any body know anyone who knows how to install air bag components?
If it's just a matter of replacing the units, I am sure we can tackle it.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Dealer says canned for codes 2 B1049,B1054, Driver Air Bag Module. Infiniti Recommends to Replace Driver Airbag and Clock Spring.

Where exactly is the driver airbag module located under the center console or behind the steering wheel.

Also should i just start off with replacing the airbag module first and see if that fixes the problem before installing everything?

I'm in need of serious help.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005G35xSedan
Dealer says canned for codes 2 B1049,B1054, Driver Air Bag Module. Infiniti Recommends to Replace Driver Airbag and Clock Spring.

Where exactly is the driver airbag module located under the center console or behind the steering wheel.

Also should i just start off with replacing the airbag module first and see if that fixes the problem before installing everything?

I'm in need of serious help.
Clock spring replacement may not be necessary OR airbag replacement may not be necessary... follow diag procedure below:

B1049, B1054 DRIVER AIRBAG MODULE
Description INFOID:0000000001907980
DTC B1049, B1054 [OPEN] DRIVER AIRBAG MODULE
For driver air bag module, crash is judged by main "G" sensor output signal and sub "G" sensor in front direction.
OPERATION
In case of frontal collision whose acceleration exceeds the specified level, the ignition materials are ignited by
electric ignition system. The system burns and introduces the chemical reaction of gas generating materials to
generate hot gases that flow into the air bag through a filter and expand the bag.
STRUCTURE
Driver air bag module mainly consists of air bag and inflator which inflates air bag.
INSTALLATION
Driver air bag module is installed on the center of steering wheel with fixed bolts.
• Disconnection of wiring harness and
open.
• Internal breakdown in driver air bag
module.
• Internal breakdown in spiral cable.
• Internal breakdown in diagnosis sensor
unit (ACU).
WARNING:
Before servicing, turn ignition switch OFF, disconnect both battery terminals and wait at least 3 minutes.
(To discharge backup capacitor.)
DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE
1.CHECK HARNESS CONNECTOR
Check the connection of harness connector.
Is the inspection result normal?
YES >> GO TO 2.
NO >> Repair or replace harness connector.
2.CHECK WIRING HARNESS
Check the wiring harness externals.
YES >> GO TO 3.
NO >> Repair or replace wiring harness.
3.CHECK DRIVER AIR BAG MODULE
1. Replace driver air bag module.
2. Check the screen of CONSULT-III.
YES >> INSPECTION END.
NO >> GO TO 4.
4.CHECK SPIRAL CABLE CIRCUIT

Old 04-18-2012, 03:04 PM
I'll take a look into this my brother believes he may be able to do it. I hope that the Driver Airbag module is the only thing that needs to be replaced. The removal of the steering wheel may be tough though.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i have the same thing happen, 2005 coupe. after airbag recall i had an airbag warning light go off. tried the reset method, thought it went away but then a week or two later it came back on. every time i reset it, it comes back on within a few days. had a friend plug into obdii and did a scan. forgot what the code was but the description was something along the lines of,

"drivers side airbag ignition panel" or something like that. i want to fix but havent gotten a quote yet. seems like it would be over 500 to fix so eh, i'll just try to avoid being hit on my side? lol. i also would like to know what other owners like you guys would do.

and since this is a regional thread, im guessing some of you guys are from around the bay area...which dealership did you bring it to "diagnose" and quote your problem? thanks

Old 04-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
came across this on craigslist, seller has the clock spring and airbag computer(if needed) for sale- might save some money vs dealership cost
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/pts/2954610523.html

Old 04-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Thanks appreciate the help I'll take a look I have a 2005 g35 sedan so I'm not sure all the part will be there but I'll see what works.

Still trying to figure out if this is a job for a professional or have someone who is great with cars do the work.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:47 PM
I think you need a new clock spring. I went to scan my car and the error code B1049 came on which is DRIVER AIR BAG MODULE OPEN. You're clock spring might have been moved or snapped. My air bag light is also blinking. VDC and SLIP light came on so I'll get it fix on monday. I'll post more info when I'll get it fix.