Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Sound Innovations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound Innovations?

I have read some good things about Sound Innovations here and there on the forums so I went ahead and made an appointment to have my AVIC-D1 installed there.

Quoted me 75/hr for 4 hours = 300+30-50 for the Steering Wheel Interface Adaptor. So estimated about 330-350. That seems pretty pricey compared to other places that quoted me about 200-250 but I am a FIRM believer that cheap isn't good and good isn't cheap. I have heard that Sound Innovations is pretty meticulous. They also have experience with G35's and the Dual Climate Control button transfer. Man, I installed systems in high school for two years but I have NEVER installed a Navigation Unit/Interface Adaptor/Steering Wheel Interface so I opted to pay a professional for this one. This is the first time I am going to pay someone to install anything on my ride...

Has anyone dealt with or heard anything about Sound Innovations in Hayward? Any feedback from experience would be appreciated...

Old 01-10-2006, 12:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have heard that Sound Innovations is pretty meticulous. They also have experience with G35's and the Dual Climate Control button transfer.
Yeah, thats put it mildly, they have done quite a few of Gs, I seen a G in there every time I stop by , they redid my door year and half ago, expensive YES but it certainly worth it, I am so glad you didnt have Pacific stereo install it

Old 01-10-2006, 12:33 AM
I've never brought my G to Sound Innovations but they did install a alarm in my expedition for me. In my opinion, they did a excellent job on the install and the professionalism I experienced from Ernie was top notch. Although pricey, I don't think you'll be dissapointed with the service and installation from them.

-Justin

Old 01-10-2006, 05:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't dealt with them either, but I only herad good things about the shop. It's about time you get that avic in!BTW, I have a spare pac swi-x I got a sweet deal on a little while ago, if you still need it.

Last edited by gizsf; 01-10-2006 at 05:08 AM.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:33 PM
I highly reccomend Sound Innovations in Hayward. Junior there is a friend of mine and hes good at what he does i can assure you that. hes workin on my G right now doin a custom trunk for it. i should be gettin it back within a couple days. if you go maybe ill see you there

-Justin

Old 01-11-2006, 03:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jwxxx
I highly reccomend Sound Innovations in Hayward. Junior there is a friend of mine and hes good at what he does i can assure you that. hes workin on my G right now doin a custom trunk for it. i should be gettin it back within a couple days. if you go maybe ill see you there

-Justin
What are you doing to the G? pics, lots pics ... please tell Junior that big asian guy with A/D/S x-over on the doors say "hi"

Old 01-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Only SI

Although pricey, you can't go wrong with the service and install quality of Sound Innovations. Most other places I've been to with my previous cars have either lost screws, glued panels back together, or just plain do a hack job with the install. I've dealt with Ernie and Junior on numerous occassions, and they've never failed in providing an excellent job with all their installs.

Check out the last two cars they've done for me.

http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/132822

http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/227752

Old 01-11-2006, 09:48 PM
I just got my car back last night at 12 AM, Junior stayed overtime to finish it up for me. I took pictures today and will probably post em tomorrow so check back =)

Old 01-13-2006, 08:35 PM
I am picking my car up tonight. I dropped it off to Ernie at about 11AM or so. I am nervous since it's literally the first time having any mod or upgrade installed by someone other than myself.

Old 01-14-2006, 01:19 AM
So I got my car back and I must say that I was more than a little disappointed. =( Honesly I expected a LOT more for the money I paid. I mean they did a great job on the DCC button transfer that took them a LONG time according to Ernie. BUT the nav unit itself looks like it was just slapped in there. It was set too far back and it was crooked. Ernie said that it's the factory holes/bracket that make it sit that way and he said the screen was sitting crooked... It's a brand new unit that I have inspected VERY carefully and the screen was NOT crooked. It was slightly tilted up on the ride side AND it was sitting further back on the right side. He said, "If it starts bothering you then just bring it back and we can see what we can do for you..."
I said, "It's definitely going to bother me... a lot."

I showed him a pic of what I thought it should look like and what I expected for the price. He was cool about it tho and made me an appointment for Thursday (it was the soonest he could get me in). I guess that's what I get for taking my car in on Friday... Hopefully they can get it right or at least close to the way I want it.

Old 01-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Chris,

I hope they getting everything fixed to your approval.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:13 AM
Well, I took my dash/AVIC-D1 out and checked to see what the fitment problem was and I have decided to try to mount it the way I want it by myself. The wiring was REALLY clean so I have to give it up to Ernie and Junior for that. I mean it was one of the CLEANEST wiring jobs I have seen. I had a couple of clips missing but no big deal, it happens.

So no hard feelings towards Sound Innovations but I just feel a lot more comfortable with getting it to fit right on my own. I mean the main reason I took it in was because I have NEVER installed a NAV Headunit, only regular CD/Radio or Tape decks back in the day...

I just have to get in contact with them because they didn't give me the sleeve, the key, the GPS Antenna Pad thing and some screws/bolts that came with the AVIC that I might need when I play around with the mounting configuration.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:43 PM
********* AVIC-D1 installation COMPLETE!

So I ended up figuring out how to mount the unit. I drilled about 6 holes in the OEM metal bracket plus elongated three of them just to get it as straight as possible. I was reluctant to take it back to Sound Innovations to get that part of the install redone because I didn't feel like leaving my car there for another day. So I am going to cancel my appointment for thursday. I basically I paid 375 bucks for "wiring" the avic-d1, the steering wheel interface adapter, soundgate XR-4 interface adapter, nissan-pioneer wire harness adapter and nissan-pioneer antenna adapter. I provided EVERYTHING necessary for the install and it still came out to 375 and the unit was crooked. But all in all I got it the way that I wanted it now so I am happy...

Sound quality on the AVIC is crap right now tho. I haven't gotten a chance to fine tune the thing yet. I'm running stock Bose Premium Package AMP and Speakers.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Modded Member
Congratulations Chris! Take some pics when you get a chance. I can't wait to do my installation.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks.

Boris, get 4 "10x32x1/2 flat machined screws" and four small washers. The bolts that come with the unit are too short. They do not sit flush but there is plenty of room so they will stick out about 1/8 of an inch or so.

I have no hard feelings towards Sound Innovations so I just want to make that clear. They did a REALLY CLEAN wiring job and everything seems to be working so far. Most people/customers probably would have just left it the way it was mounted but to me it was noticeably TOO far back and crooked and tilted in more ways than one. Too bad I didn't take any before pics of THEIR mounting job so I could have shown you guys.

Here are some pics I took after I completed re-mounting the unit to my expectations. I didn't wipe it down before I took the pics so it's got my finger prints and everything all over it. Even my NON-CAR enthusiast girl woke up and saw me outside playing with the unit and said, "WOW, that looks SO MUCH BETTER!" And she has absolutely ZERO knowledge or interest in cars... all she knows is Mercedes, Lexus and BMW. lol. It took me 5+ hours to get it right and a LOT of trial and error. I only used 2 screws and 2 washers on each side. The washers will keep it from sliding out of place in the elongated holes. Aligning three holes on each side is damn near impossible so I just used two but it should hold. I posted it in the TECH section as well.

Attached Thumbnails Sound Innovations?-picture-002.jpg   Sound Innovations?-picture-003.jpg   Sound Innovations?-picture-004.jpg  

Last edited by Disco_Monkey; 01-16-2006 at 08:04 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sound Innovations?