NorthWest Serving AK, ID, OR, WA

Door lock repair on the road! NorCal-Oregon-WA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2010 | 07:23 PM
|
Door lock repair on the road! NorCal-Oregon-WA

My So Cal install thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/souther...cks-fixed.html
My Door Lock Kits for sale: https://g35driver.com/forums/marketp...g35-coupe.html

I'm taking another road trip to WA this summer, the last full week of August.
I've installed 16 of these door lock actuator kits over the past 2 months. It's an incredibly common issue, and you shouldn't have to spend $500 at the dealer to get this fixed.
I don't have a set place to make stops but if you need your door locks working, let me know and I will schedule a stop for you, or if there is enough interest in the Portland area and Seattle area (my hometown).
I do not plan on stopping to sleep the whole trip and I don't know know what time I will be rolling thru your area.
My schedule is to stop in Sacramento around noon on August 28th, doing all the installs there and heading north.
It's quite possible that noonish on Sunday August 22nd might work, but it may be earlier.
I'm still trying to work out a price for the installs to do on the road, but it will lower depending on interest.
If you want your door locks fixed, let me know ASAP so I can make sure to have a kit(s) ready for you.

Videos of installation:
[youtube]PdjBKOfUpho[/youtube][youtube]Yfw2yIWOlNI[/youtube]

Last edited by pythonjosh; 08-12-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2010 | 05:54 PM
|
Bump, date has been pushed back a week to August 29th.
On the 29th or 30th I'll be heading to Anacortes/Orcas Island and then heading back south on thursday.
I'm up to 19 kits installed so far in So Cal, there has to be a number of ppl in OR-WA that need functional door locks.

Old 08-12-2010 | 10:35 PM
Just so my local friends know....if he charges A LOT to do this, I can get the actuator local for under 10 bucks and my friend can install it for dirt cheap. Weve done it on 3 so far, my 03 Coupe My 06 coupe and another friends 03.

There is also a DIY located in this forum

Old 08-12-2010 | 11:36 PM
|
I charge for installation and for my time and money spent on materials.
I get the actuators for $5 as provided in the link in the DIY (which is in both of my threads in the OP).
I buy the materials that aren't included with the actuator in bulk. I buy an aluminum bar at the hardware store for making the brackets, and I just bought 100ft of 16ga wire for powering the actuators (plus both bullet and butt connectors).
As you can see in my for sale thread, I sell the kits for $30 and has everything you need except for tools.
As you can see in my So Cal install thread, I charge $30 for installation. This saturday will be my 20th installation, and that's just the number of cars.
Every installation has been a great experience for both me and my customers, as you can see in my So Cal installs thread.
There has never been any damage to any vehicles, nor have there been any re-visits.

I've been working on car electronics for the past 7 years, in all electrical areas such as customization, lighting, stereo installation and configuration, window motor repair and installation, BCM repair, and anything involving soldering.

I provide expertise, reliable products, and guaranteed services.
Thanks,
Josh

Old 08-13-2010 | 02:43 AM
Didnt bother to read the threads, i assumed since you quoted the dealer price of 500 that you were going to be "fair" and charge people a rip off of 100-200. However, i was wrong and your price is actually quite great. I applaud you in being a good member on this forum and actually doing people a favor. I am sorry I assumed.

Old 08-13-2010 | 01:57 PM
|
Thanks PoorG35. Fair is one thing, but I should also be reimbursed for my time, not only time spent installing (30mins per door), but also time spent preparing the materials.
$60 for one door, and $100 for both is more than reasonable for a reliable product. (and close to 10% of what the dealership charges)
My first time installing these on my car took all day to figure out the process, and get accurate measurements and specifications.
Now I've got that narrowed down to 30mins. I've taken multiple trips to San Diego and Oceanside a few times for installs down there.
I've had to replace a few drivers window motors as well. Replacing a window motor makes installing these actuators look easy.