I fought the law and the law...wait no, I won!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I fought the law and the law...wait no, I won!

Quick summary of events:
January 17th, 9:40PM on 315S at the intersection of Hard Road and 315. I'm waiting at the light heading south back to campus. Left turn arrow for 315N takes forever and as their light turns yellow->red I inched out a bit early then stopped as it took forever to turn green. At that point I rolled out and then briskly accelerated 2nd-4th gear up to about 4,500 revs...got to about 70-75, threw it into sixth and started cruising. Lo and behold, popo right behind me with lights.

I get pulled over, all this ocurring in less than 0.5mi as you can see on the map.

Cop come running up to my window hollering "What the hell do you think you're doing??!?!?!?!?!?!??" I'm like, sorry officer I know I accelerated a bit quickly there. He keeps yelling about me not seeing him right next to me (I didn't, stupid tint) or the construction speed limit of 40mph (which I really didn't see as the construction is on Hard Rd and everyone just drives 65 on 315 anyways like a normal highway). He says he paced me at 80, which I stupidly disagreed with...but I seriously was NOT doing 80. Maybe 75 but not 80.
He finally calms down a bit when he realizes I'm not trying to be an ******* and I really didn't see him. He asks about the car and the tint and etc. Nothing to report really. He asks me how many tickets, I say none. He doesn't believe me in the least so he goes back to the cruiser.

5 minutes go by, he comes back 100% nicer and gives me a ticket for 80 in a 65 as a favor instead of in the 40mph construction zone. He asks me a couple questions about what I do and where I'm coming from/going which actually helps calm him down some more (I was on all weekend on my surgery rotation).

So ticket issued, first speeding ticket ever in my life. First time I've been pulled over since I was 16. ****ing pissed.

Went home, looked up how to fight speeding tickets and built my case. Court case was this morning after I delayed some, officer is no-show, I get case dismissed...free and clear. No points, no fine, no nothing.

So here are tips I learned for beating a speeding ticket.
1) DO NOT ARGUE with the officer. Be polite, but be forgetful. Don't give anything extra for the cop to remember the incident by. You want him to forget as much as possible.

2) YOU DO NOT WANT TO JUST PAY THE TICKET!!! Unless you were doing like 150 and are going to get ****ed no matter what, if it's 80 in a something, just get a court date.
People at court minimally were getting no points on their license w/ speeding fine or just court costs. You WANT to take a ticket to court if there is any chance that you can get something reduced from the max penalty.

3) DELAY DELAY DELAY DELAY. I immediately delayed my arraignment date (costs 5 f'in dollars, even if you lose and pay everything, who gives a ****).
Delay the arraignment at least once and then either plead not guilty by going or just by asking the clerk of courts. Then you get a real court date for your case.

4) KEEP DELAYING!! I actually just took the date as it worked with my schedule and it may have been impossible for me to find a better time, but try to delay the actual date as much as possible. Be busy at work, out of town for a week, anything. Point is delay until the officer just forgets or until he doesn't care anymore to show. No officer = usually dismissed on the spot. (What happened to me)

5) If officer does show and you were tracked by radar. It gets hard, hire a lawyer if you really think you can beat it. Better option is just to work out a plea deal with the prosecutor for fine w/ no points or just court costs. Not too hard to do. Be polite and just take whatever you can so points aren't issued, pay the other crap, but keep it out of your insurance. Offer to take a driving class, use your prior history (if it's clean) to reduce the charges.

All in all, if you do this properly by delaying, officer usually wont show/will be on duty (you can look this up and schedule a date on a day you know he can't make it). If you do have to fight, try to get a plea deal.

That's all...

Old 04-07-2010, 10:29 AM
That must be a defense mechanisim with Cops. I had a cop act EXACTLY like that when he pulled me over for supposedly Speeding and wreckless driving.
He came up just flat out yelling in my face and when i respectfully disagreed with him, he got louder asking me if I am calling him a lier. I said "no sir, I just respectfully disagree". ARE YOU CALLING ME A LIER???!!!!!!! "No Sir, I just don't speed and I know I changed lanes but not wrecklessly, I used my blinker and just changed lanes" "WAIT HERE, THIS IS GONNA TAKE A WHILE"
He comes back and is a different man. Super NIce and tells me attitude is 90% of it and I have had a great attitude and says he will only write a speeding ticket and reduced it to 14 over, which I was doing that at the MOST....

So I checked on the ticket a couple weeks later and he never turned it in...

Crazy experience, but I know he pulled me over because I was driving a Lowered Intergra that I had bought for the gas mileage when it was SO freakin' high. It looked like a kids car and I knew it. I sold the car shortly after .LOL!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:53 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Congrats on the win Arnab!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:06 AM
Damn terrorists always finding a way around the law.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:19 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Bomb!? Did u say BOMB!?

Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Bomb, bomb, bomb, bombombabommm. My father was a bombadier in the army!!

LOL, thanks guys. I was surprised that the guy didn't show as I only really delayed once. I had my defense pretty ready, although it could have ended poorly if he just told them he was giving me a break as it was really a 40 zone. But in any case, I caught a break and did some appropriate legwork and it worked out.

jwrape - that's bizzare, the officer used the "Are you calling me a liar?!?!" line like four times...irate as hell before he calmed way down when he realized, I wasn't biting.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeG
Damn terrorists always finding a way around the law.

congrats though arnab!!

(btw u still want my 06 sports front )

Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 AM
I'll post in your FS thread.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Ohio G Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you shoulda yelled allahu akbar as you drove off....

Old 04-07-2010, 02:00 PM
^heh

grats Arnab.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:52 PM
nice arnab. yes, no arguing is the best bet.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
nice write up and info! and Congrats!

Old 04-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Congrats Arnab. So sorry you can't be like me and just get away with warnings every time.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:59 PM
^owned!

Old 04-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
3 posts and 2 are Owning someone! Awesome switch! hahaha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I fought the law and the law...wait no, I won!