Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Wilwood FTW

Old 02-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ryamartin
I disagree with a couple of these points however to avoid arguement...

Thank you for your advice I will take that into consideration.

Placed an order with Wilwood.
your welcome , no offense taken .
Congrats on your purchase !
I too was once in your shoes and have been in cars with wilwoods, rotoras and brembos
If i had to pick looks Rotra FTW ,
I purchased a set of front and rear brembos with rotors , pads and SS lines for $1000 this was 2 years ago .

Now they can be found for $500-1000 . just need to search and be patient.

Wlwoods worked great on my SE-R for 3 or so years before i sold it , I had the fastbrakes kit.

Stop Tech and AP are also good.

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
OEM Brembos are not worth it. A used pair will still run 1000-1200. You can get a brand new set of Akebono for only 1600. Much bigger and dont have to deal with used crap.

And acutally owning both, it is cheaper to replace pads on the bigger Akebonos than it is the smaller Brembos.

must be why Nissan put Brembos on the GTR and not a bigger version of the akebonos ,

Brembos are just about the only over engenieered part on the G35/350z platform.
I purchased a set of front and rear brembos with rotors , pads and SS lines for $1000 this was 2 years ago .

I would love to see actual performance comparison of the
akebonos VS Brembos and see what the end result is on the same car.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well to be clear bout the brembo vs akebono kit, you must first remember that there is a difference between the oem brembo's on a 350z and the big 6pot you'll find on GTRs and other super cars.

You aren't really comparing apples to apples.

Moral being stock<oem brembo<akebono< brembo high end stuff

The other brands all fall in there above oem, so not matter what it's an upgrade.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im not comparing the gtr 6 piston calipers I'm comparing 4 piston oem brembo to 4 piston oem akebono .
What I'm saying is they used brembo and not any other company.
I've driven a g37 with the akebonos and to this day still think the old brembos are better . The akebonos look cool cause the size of caliper and rotor , I would still take the brembos.

Regardless , you got yourself a new set of wilwoods coming and once installed your smile when u see ur car that's worth every penny

Old 02-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodrigo
your welcome , no offense taken .
Congrats on your purchase !
I too was once in your shoes and have been in cars with wilwoods, rotoras and brembos
If i had to pick looks Rotra FTW ,

Wlwoods worked great on my SE-R for 3 or so years before i sold it , I had the fastbrakes kit.

Stop Tech and AP are also good.

must be why Nissan put Brembos on the GTR and not a bigger version of the akebonos ,

Brembos are just about the only over engenieered part on the G35/350z platform.

I would love to see actual performance comparison of the
akebonos VS Brembos and see what the end result is on the same car.
Comparisons have been done. The end results are about the same, there is very little difference performance wise. The main difference is that the Akebonos are bigger, look better, cost less to maintain and have less fade.

You can not compare G35 bottom of the barrel brembos to GTR top of the line brembos. That is like comparing a 2005 base corvette to a 2012 ZR1. Of course both are made by the same company... but the comparison ends there.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lol @ this thread derail with all the Taiwanese BBKs. Sorry I'm late to the party.

OP, you made a wise decision. You will be very happy with a new set of Wilwoods, they are known, tried and tested ON the track. And for anyone else considering a similar new vs used decision, think of it like buying used boost...BE VERY WARY. You never truly know the condition and while the pads may look ok, you just can't trust it unless it's exceedingly lightly used (which sadly most BBKs are - all looks, no use).

As for the Brembo debate, I agree with above. The stock G35 Brembos are good, but take them on a track and you will quickly find their limitations. Having driven more than one GTR on a track, I can tell you the Brembos on that car are astounding. We ran a 600hp GTR in 100F+ ambient temps and the crap Nitto NT05s gave out long before the Brembos hinted at fade. Big difference. The Akebonos are good but very heavy and again will show their issues with hard tracking.

As for all the Alliance love...this is food for thought.
http://phatboybrakes.com/Nissan.php

Look above, look at the prices and then consider how much an Alliance/D2/Megan/Ksport/etc etc cost. All the same Taiwanese pieces, all randomly marked up with giant logos and flashy colors. I will say, Mike @ Blackline who sells Alliance BBKs seems to be a good guy with great service. Just don't know about the product.

To me a BBK is to make you stop consistently and in shorter than usual distances. The stopping distance is determined far more by the capability of the tires and not by the number of pistons or rotor size. The latter determine how much heat can be vented and how much you can repeat the stopping distance. To me the Taiwanese kits are still unproven in any true capacity. I don't care what owner pushing 550 hp says because he can stop quickly on the street. BFD. Get on a track, run them into the ground, we'll talk then.

That being said, if they eventually do pan out...then great. New competition. Until then stop posting pictures of giant purple and neon **** colored BBKs in every thread...be honest you got them for looks, nothing more.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
HAHAHA, Well said Dr. ****!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Ohio G Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been waiting for Dr. **** to chime in on this topic

Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Dr. ****...curing ignorance one patient at a time!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
^ including mine lol

Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by stradaONE8
Lol @ this thread derail with all the Taiwanese BBKs. Sorry I'm late to the party.

OP, you made a wise decision. You will be very happy with a new set of Wilwoods, they are known, tried and tested ON the track. And for anyone else considering a similar new vs used decision, think of it like buying used boost...BE VERY WARY. You never truly know the condition and while the pads may look ok, you just can't trust it unless it's exceedingly lightly used (which sadly most BBKs are - all looks, no use).

As for the Brembo debate, I agree with above. The stock G35 Brembos are good, but take them on a track and you will quickly find their limitations. Having driven more than one GTR on a track, I can tell you the Brembos on that car are astounding. We ran a 600hp GTR in 100F+ ambient temps and the crap Nitto NT05s gave out long before the Brembos hinted at fade. Big difference. The Akebonos are good but very heavy and again will show their issues with hard tracking.

As for all the Alliance love...this is food for thought.
http://phatboybrakes.com/Nissan.php

Look above, look at the prices and then consider how much an Alliance/D2/Megan/Ksport/etc etc cost. All the same Taiwanese pieces, all randomly marked up with giant logos and flashy colors. I will say, Mike @ Blackline who sells Alliance BBKs seems to be a good guy with great service. Just don't know about the product.

To me a BBK is to make you stop consistently and in shorter than usual distances. The stopping distance is determined far more by the capability of the tires and not by the number of pistons or rotor size. The latter determine how much heat can be vented and how much you can repeat the stopping distance. To me the Taiwanese kits are still unproven in any true capacity. I don't care what owner pushing 550 hp says because he can stop quickly on the street. BFD. Get on a track, run them into the ground, we'll talk then.

That being said, if they eventually do pan out...then great. New competition. Until then stop posting pictures of giant purple and neon **** colored BBKs in every thread...be honest you got them for looks, nothing more.
thank you! The phatboy brakes link perfectly illustrates what I was trying to tell those guys. You spent 3 or 4g on brakes with a REAL MSRP of 1g? Which means the dealer cost is likely 40 - 50% less than that?

Then have the nerve to tell me I'm cheap because I want to jump on a good deal? If not wanting to buy Taiwanese junk makes me cheap, then color me cheap!

Old 02-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
makes me want to invest in a few pairs of those, engrave alliance, on em and sell them for 100 percent profit including shipping and all

Old 02-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Naoh_97
makes me want to invest in a few pairs of those, engrave alliance, on em and sell them for 100 percent profit including shipping and all
You've already got a market and idiots advertising for you!

Old 02-10-2011, 06:38 PM
PM message I received earlier today from nyqueenz:
Thought I'd post this here for more discussion. I'd like to keep it civil. These are just car parts after all...

Originally Posted by nyqueenz
Who cares what names or whos stamp is on any BBK.. or where they are made from..
Uh, a lot of people care, and not just about brakes. Same reason people buy Volks or BBS and not Rotas or Varrstoens. Same reason why people trust Forged Performance or GTM Motosports to build their engines and not some hole in the wall.

Some people do it to brand *****, I care because I know the engineering behind the parts is sound and reputable. I know if I want to push any component to their limits, it will be there not just once, but every time. I care that my parts are engineered in Japan or Germany where tolerances are exacting and quality is unparalleled. I have no idea what shortcuts are taken to make things cheaper/affordable...and I don't trust that unknown variable.

So who cares? I care. Anyone who wants the best cares where it comes from and how it's made.

Originally Posted by nyqueenz
The OP posted his question, I gave him an ans based off my experience with what Kit I had on my car and it works really well regardless what people say and hear and see online..

No I haven't been on the track with my car yet under track conditions doing high speed passes. But that’s yet to come. I paid for what I got and as far as stopping power goes..
I see that you posted your opinion. But his question was clearly stated. He didn't ask what other BBKs he should consider. He asked for your opinion on two kits. If you don't know much about either, then probably wise not to say much else. Would I care if I were him that you posted your BBK, probably not, but I'm not him and this isn't my thread.

We get that you like your BBKs, I'm sure they are decent enough as I haven't heard much negative feedback about them. That being said, that's my point: I haven't heard much at all. That may be because most people buying serious BBKs for serious track duty don't buy Alliance/etc. When the Taiwanese brakes prove themselves under true BBK limiting conditions, then we can draw conclusions about their quality and performance with some certainty.

Run a season with them, see how the rotors hold up to a weekend of hard stops, see how the calipers deal with extreme heat, see how the colors hold up. Talk to some serious track guys and you will know that people with Porsches running PCCBs can go through a set in a few very hard sessions in less than a month. I'm not convinced that these kits can handle that yet. The thing is, if I'm wrong then GREAT, I'm glad someone is pushing innovation for cheaper costs. This will spur everyone forward.

Until that is shown, it's speculation from people who drive to and from import shows and occasionally do some speeding on highways. If that's all you want from your BBK, then I suppose that's great. I just feel more comfortable saving up for a set of Brembo GTs for my stopping needs.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 PM
^ +10000000000000000000000000000000000000000

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BBK decision, need your help tonight!