Picture Share Pics of your or others' rides!

Just used scratch x for first time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rkg35coupe
I did it one section at a time, is scratch x more for small scratches?
My arm felt like it was going to fall off when I was finished...I don't usually put that much time into washing my car but if i did it wrong then i definately want to do it again.

Appreciate the info
you didn't necessarily do it wrong, but to actually remove a significant number of swirl marks by hand, it requires more than an hour. I spent 1 hour on just my hood with scratch-x, and I had minimal swirls, and gave up because doing the entire car would have taken 5-6 hours by hand and my arm would have never made it through it. Black would have been even worse. I purchased a porter cable and was much happier in the end. Scratch-x is more of a spot scratch remover.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
what if you use just a random orbiter polisher like a 30$ won from your local autostore. Only one speed but would it work better than using it by hand?

Old 06-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by toymachine2009
what if you use just a random orbiter polisher like a 30$ won from your local autostore. Only one speed but would it work better than using it by hand?
not really because they bog down too much when you try to apply pressure. I can get more pressure by hand than one of those polishers. What IS a good investment if you plan on applying by hand is a palm handle kit such as this

http://danase.com/lacomahapadk.html
It allows for much more pressure, and helps prevent hand cramps from holding the foam applicators. The pads also come in different levels of aggressiveness so that you can do a better job with the scratch-x. I use it on smaller areas the porter cable can't reach

Old 06-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thanks for the info redlude, that definately sounds like way too much work, especially with my black car. I'm definately buying one of those palm applicators.

Thanks again for the info,

Ray