Picture Share Pics of your or others' rides!

my first track event @ roebling road

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:43 PM
fgc moderator
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
my first track event @ roebling road

disclaimer: this is long because it is my first road track event ever and i wanted to capture the entire experience so skip to the pics if you want. vids hopefully up in a few days once i get my other pc fixed so i can edit them.

the event
spent this past weekend at roebling road raceway in savannah, ga doing my first high performance driving event. wow was it intense! this weekend was put on by the florida citrus pca so the majority of owners were porsche people. for a total newcomer, i cant think of any real complaints. started off with some classroom time and then 5 sessions on the track over saturday and sunday. everyone was helpful and i made plenty of new friends at all levels.

on the track
its like nothing else out there when you are on the track at full speed in a corner. only a couple times did i run into any major "traffic" since we were only allowed to pass on the straight in the green class but even then it taught me stuff. i think i did well picking up the line and controlling the car smoothly. its a ton of information to keep track of though. some things i still need to work on are using the track for reference points instead of just the cones they set up, paying more attention to the corner workers and not being as tense. things got easier towards the end so im sure with more practice, i will get better. caught everyone that was in front of me except for a roush stang that just left me in the straights doh. i was averaging about 1:35 laps according to my camera and i pulled a 1:32 lap chasing the stang. not sure how accurate that was but gives me a good idea to improve on.

car performance
no major complaints with the way the car handled. i kept vdc ON as i was trying to keep it on the track and in 1 piece. stillen sways and eibach springs kept it pretty much neutral so it did what i wanted. project mu ns pads and motul fluid held up well. the biggest limiting factor seemed to be the tires which are nitto invos front and yokohoma s.drives in the rear. thats not to say they didnt do a great job but short of going to stickier race tires then i was pushing them to their limit. upgrading to a bigger brake kit than the akebonos would probably be the next upgrade. possibly coils to stiffen up the suspension but i really didnt notice much excess body roll. i have a 7at so i kept it in 4th most of the track with a little bit of 3rd in some corners and 5th on the straight. a transmission cooler would be a great help for letting me use more of 3rd at high revs for the extra power. otherwise, performance would be pretty low on the list. oh and i managed to average 10 mpg on sunday oops?

instructors/ride-alongs
my instructor, sam k, has been racing for about 15 years now. he was extremely helpful - giving me pointers on what i was doing wrong, encouraging me when i did something right and just letting me drive when things were smooth. he brought his sick gt3 cup car which he took me out in twice. what was cool is he drove the same line he was teaching me, except a LOT faster lol. also, mike from darkside took me out in his old winston cup stock car. you may not expect it, but the thing just flies around the track. its a bit different from the porsche since it depends more on power through the turns which you could see in the somewhat different line he took. all the other instructors i talked to were all really friendly and ready to offer advice on anything.

incidents
thankfully i had none myself and i think there were only a handful of off-road excursions. the worst was a z06 that was going down the straight at 100+mph when a fuel line came loose. it caused a fire to flare up around the whole front of the car but it went out just as quick. he was in the braking zone for turn 1 and spun off backward. luckily the car came to rest in a small dip in the grass without any major body damage - time for a new motor though. i did catch an older porsche spinning off in front of me as i drove through a cloud of dirt on video.

my wolverine theme

my pit

the florida non-porsche crew lol

one of the tampa guys in his e46 m3

some nissan love

lots of nice porsches

Old 10-19-2009, 08:45 PM
fgc moderator
even a cayenne

my instructors gt3 cup car and his gt3 dd – rough life heh

gt3 cup interior

mikes winston cup car

dave and chip brought out their crx to tune for new cams

some action shots

mike entering turn 4

rachel chasing her dad who she caught later!

poor z06

random savannah night shot

lastly a shot of my calendar by a track photog during the touring session

Old 10-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
Awesome pics thanks for sharing them

Old 10-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
Awesome pix man!

Old 10-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what happened to the Z06?

Old 10-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Looks like a great time! Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
nice

Old 10-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like you had a great time.. That counts more than anything else..

Old 10-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, looks hellaFUN! Awesome pics!

Old 10-20-2009, 06:04 AM
fgc moderator
appreciate it guys. its a freaking blast. im going back in 3 weeks and probably sometime in jan or feb.

Originally Posted by w0ady
incidents
thankfully i had none myself and i think there were only a handful of off-road excursions. the worst was a z06 that was going down the straight at 100+mph when a fuel line came loose. it caused a fire to flare up around the whole front of the car but it went out just as quick. he was in the braking zone for turn 1 and spun off backward. luckily the car came to rest in a small dip in the grass without any major body damage - time for a new motor though. i did catch an older porsche spinning off in front of me as i drove through a cloud of dirt on video.
Originally Posted by TurK
what happened to the Z06?
sigh i guess reading is too much to ask for.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:28 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad you had a great time and didn't have any incidents. It looks like a lot of fun. Get more pics of your driving next time.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Teh Redhead Moderator

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing. Maybe I'll make it up there one day...

Rachel said she was taping her car pink like me though... slacker!

Old 10-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Hahaha V, I thought about it, but then decided it was way too much work! But yeah, the event was INCREDIBLE! I fall in love with the track more each time I drive it. I'm going to try to come in February I think... Valentine's Day gift for my car.... HAHAHA.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Looks like you had a blast... I'll have to try this out one day

Old 10-20-2009, 05:13 PM
fgc moderator
Originally Posted by Gilley
Glad you had a great time and didn't have any incidents. It looks like a lot of fun. Get more pics of your driving next time.
kind of hard while im in the car.

the fence is a bit far from the track to really get any pics with a point and shoot. need someone with a good dslr to come take some action shots sometime. ill drag chad along when i go up to do some track events with the atl guys.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: my first track event @ roebling road