Picture Share Pics of your or others' rides!

Pure S*x - my new BABY! 240Z 1970 (turbo!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking Pure S*x - my new BABY! 240Z 1970 (turbo!)

OMG, am I in LOVE fellas!

Check out my new baby. Won her recently on an eBay auction. This guy almost backed out, b/c he didn't want to sell but needed the money. REALLY NICE guy! Sorry for him for his loss, but man what a gain!!

Here are her details:

This car is the culmination of 2 1/2 years of work restoring this 1970 240Z, with every major modification being a direct bolt on from another Datsun Z-car, keeping it all in the family. I started with the 1970 body for its collect-ability and light weight. The engine is from a 1982 280ZX turbo, which is the best and most powerful iteration of the L6 motor. 5-speed transmission from a 1983 280ZX NA. Differential is the highly sought after R200 limited slip from a low mile 1988 300ZX turbo. Wheels are the 15 inch "snowflake" wheels from a 1981 280ZX turbo. Gas tank from a 1975 280ZX (fuel injected). Further details:

The engine is from a garage queen 280ZX turbo with auto transmission and 119K miles and has always used synthetic oil since break-in. The engine runs great and smooth and is very powerful. It always starts right up, even when cold, and has perfect compression. I tested the compression this weekend on 7/13/12 and is 141, 140, 140, 141, 141, 141 from cylinders 1-6, respectively. The engine has never been opened up but I did clean and de-grease everything and painted the block with black POR-15 when it was transplanted. Manifold and valve cover gaskets were replaced as well as the water pump. Recent tune-up with new spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor. Recent new injector and cylinder temp sensor connectors (the nicer quick-disconnect type.) Motor is currently running stock boost but can easily be increased for more power with a boost controller and intercooler. I will include an NPR intercooler and enough bends to install it at the buy-it-now price. This intercooler is an ideal size for the 240Z. I had plans to install it at some point, but the car is already very fast and I was satisfied with it's current power level. I kept the factory oil-cooler as well to keep the turbo bearings nice and cool.

Exhaust starts with a 2.5 inch stainless steel downpipe (from ScottieGNZ) and expands off of that to a 3 inch, fully mandrel bent exhaust ending at a Dynomax Ultraflow muffler. The intake and exhaust is very open helping the turbo to spool extremely quickly but is not too loud and sounds lovely at full throttle.

On the back of the motor is a light weight aluminum flywheel and SPEC stage 3 clutch, machine balanced as a unit. The stage 3 clutch has a sprung-hub 4-puck disc which grabs great but is still very smooth and streetable with stock pedal effort. The 5-speed transmission was rebuilt before it was installed and shifts smoothly with no issues. Clutch hydraulics (master/slave cylinders) are new.

The limited-slip differential is from a low-mile (90K) 300zx turbo with auto tranny. It is in great shape and really helps to get the power to the ground and stabilize the car when accelerating out of turns. A very nice upgrade for such a light car with this much power. The mounting "mustache bar" is fitted with urethane bushings and the nose of the diff is held down with a custom steel strap that keeps the drive train in place and eliminates the common "rear end clunk" found on so many classic z-cars.

The body was stripped to bare metal and primed and painted in 2002 Jaguar British Racing Green with high-quality materials. Chrome is in good shape on the bumpers and trim. All emblems are brand new OEM Nissan. Front urethane air dam has been added for high-speed stability, but otherwise, the exterior is stock. Interior has been fully restored as well and is in excellent condition. New carpet kit, new half dash-cap, new weatherstripping all around including the glass seals and a new front windshield. There is on small tear on the driver's seat where I put my hand through a seam when I was detailing the interior (Aarghhh!), other than that, seats are excellent. I believe they are from a 1978 280Z. All interior vinyl is in good condition and the shift boot and **** are new. All gauges and lights work as they should.

Brakes have been completely rebuilt with all new hydraulics (master cylinder, new front calipers and real wheel cylinders). New pads and shoes all around with newly machined discs and drums. Suspension includes new Bilstein Blues shocks all around with stiffer/lower springs and larger front sway bar. The car handles great but is still very comfortable to drive on the street. Wheels are from a 280ZX turbo and have been bead blasted and refinished in a high quality base coat/satin clear. Tires are Yokahama AVS in great shape with 95% tread left.

I personally built this car and honestly never thought I would sell it. Most of the restoration was completed by 2005 and the car has always been garaged since and only driven sparingly in nice weather. Unfortunately for me, my current situation prevents me from enjoying the car like it should be enjoyed so I have reluctantly come to the decision to put her up for sale. I set out to build my dream 240Z and I feel like I succeeded. This is an amazing and complete car that needs nothing and I know it will bring another Z-lover great joy to own and drive her.

I'm sure I am forgetting some things but I have personally installed basically every nut and bolt on this car so please let me know if you have any questions and I should be able to answer them. Please check my feedback score and thanks for looking!

The pics!

Name:  Right-1.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  132.4 KB

Name:  Right-2.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  117.2 KB

Name:  Front.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  108.2 KB

Name:  EngineLeft.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  152.6 KB

Name:  Dash2.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  96.6 KB

Name:  Dash2.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  96.6 KB

Name:  Left-1.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  133.2 KB

Name:  LSD2.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  62.1 KB

http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/...=VIDEO0038.mp4

http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/...t=MVI_1836.mp4

Let me know what y'all think!

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dash2.jpg (96.6 KB, 27 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteonWheat:
JaE35 (07-27-2012), orl-g (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Jealous. I've wanted an old school Z forever. And that thing is in tip top shape, too

Old 07-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your in the wrong section?

Old 07-27-2012, 03:17 PM
^ THANKS man!! I'm so excited I swear I feel like I'm 18 again - most of you guys might be 18, LOL. I'm 36 and the 240Z (1970-73) has always been my dream car! So I'm on cloud 9 to say the least!

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I pulled the trigger and purchased this one. Although its made up of multiple Z car parts from different years - I feel like this guy really did a CLEAN/CLASSY job on it and it's TURBO!!!

The color he selected was "British Racing Green" and I've never really seen a 240Z painted that color, but I think the car and that color were meant to be - it looks so bad @ss to me!!!

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

Old 07-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Opps, what section should I be in guys? Sorry

Old 07-27-2012, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My god. I an throughly jealous. Was looking for a 240Z project earlier this year but gave up since I couldnt find a body thats in shape.

Soooooo envious!

Old 07-27-2012, 03:44 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
Sick! I absolutely love that steering wheel

Old 07-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Price? Most people don't know how rare those wheels are. Nice!

Old 07-27-2012, 04:00 PM
My god. I an throughly jealous. Was looking for a 240Z project earlier this year but gave up since I couldnt find a body thats in shape.

Soooooo envious!
Thanks man!! I really don't want to tute my own horn, but I think this time life handed me some sweet lemonade, so I couldn't let it pass me by - so I pulled the trigger! I def was NOT in the market, but stumbled upon this GORGEOUS beauty on eBay and went for gold, and sooooo glad I did now looking back!

Sick! I absolutely love that steering wheel
Thanks! Yeah, I'm digging the old wooden steering and shift **** too!

Price? Most people don't know how rare those wheels are. Nice!

Oh really - I had no idea. I told myself now that I own one, I'll have to research them and become very knowledgeable about them and join a Z forum, but dang, thanks for letting me know just the wheels are rare! I thought from the parts he described he used the LSD R200 was the "rare" part on this car, so it's nice to know I purchased rare wheels as well!

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

Old 07-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Absolutely a gorgeous Z and congrats....and dont get any thoughts of trying to slap your stillen s/c on her....lol

Old 07-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
So sick!!

Old 07-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
im jealous!!!
would have swapped my g plus cash for that Z... Congrats and take good care of her!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Absolutely a gorgeous Z and congrats....and dont get any thoughts of trying to slap your stillen s/c on her....lol
Thanks man! and LOL - no, no thoughts of transferring my SC from the G to her, she's got a Turbo and that's good for me!

So sick!!
Thanks man! and I concur - LOL!

im jealous!!!
would have swapped my g plus cash for that Z... Congrats and take good care of her!
Dude, go out and start shopping on eBay, Craigslist or a local auction - Life's too short, do it, get you one!!!

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

Old 07-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
That thing is spectacular. That color is amazing. Great find.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:41 PM
That thing is spectacular. That color is amazing. Great find.
Thanks! He went through a ton of color ideas, but settled on "British Racing Green". I told him this car and that color are MADE for each other - he had great taste!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Pure S*x - my new BABY! 240Z 1970 (turbo!)